Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Yotes | October 15 | 10 pm EST | Part II

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
184726407_slide.jpg

makes me laugh

In b4 blockbuster deal sending Conacher to the habs:sarcasm:

John Holmes*

I love the "creative" argument. Funny though that 2 of his goals were just from going to the net, and the other was a blast on the PP.

Nothing fancy at all.

You'd think that after 11 years in the league, the guy would get it.

He was trying to make something out of nothing.

There are a few "golden rules" of hockey, like keep your stick on the ice, go to the net, don't clear it up the middle. This is basic, basic stuff.

The guy has incredible skill and talent. He doesn't need to throw in the triple toe lutz and the sow cow to be a good player. Sometimes less is more. KISS concept.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I love the "creative" argument. Funny though that 2 of his goals were just from going to the net, and the other was a blast on the PP.

Nothing fancy at all.

You'd think that after 11 years in the league, the guy would get it.

He was trying to make something out of nothing.

There are a few "golden rules" of hockey, like keep your stick on the ice, go to the net, don't clear it up the middle. This is basic, basic stuff.

The guy has incredible skill and talent. He doesn't need to throw in the triple toe lutz and the sow cow to be a good player. Sometimes less is more. KISS concept.

The KISS concept applies to players with minimal skill, players of Spezza's talent play on instinct and on risk, it's what makes them so good. For every giveaway that Spezza has, he will make 5 on the stick passes.

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
I watch the all games where the Sens play dreadfully out only to miss the one they win. :facepalm:

Sounds like Spezza had a great night, I watched the highlights and that shot on the powerplay was a laser. Hopefully Karlsson and Ryan, as creative guys, can set up Spezza for some more slapshots and one-timers to show off that shot.

It still looks like we're giving up too many shot (37 against, 32 for). It's a damn good thing we have two great goalies because they're going to be exhausted at this rate. The defence still needs to be sorted out, but it's nice to see the top line (specifically Spezza) rebound from some average games. It is oddly comforting to see STL get blown out by the Sharks after we gave them a run for their money only a few nights ago. No shame in losing to that team, they're on fire.

Looks like the captain's given up play-making to become a sniper, 4 goals in five games played!

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
He had an amazing shot fake/slap pass to Turris for the one timer that was almost a goal. EK seemed to be doing pretty well on the PP, he'll get out of this funk soon enough.

He seems to have typical dman stuff down pretty well at this point, he's missing what made him so special the last two seasons though.

John Holmes*

The KISS concept applies to players with minimal skill, players of Spezza's talent play on instinct and on risk, it's what makes them so good. For every giveaway that Spezza has, he will make 5 on the stick passes.

I disagree about simplifying the game.

Spezza is hardly the only guy that has been in this position. Guys like Yzerman for example were the same way until later in their careers.

In fact, I can't think of a better example than Yzerman. Unfortunately for him, he played in the Wayne & Mario era, so he was always in the background I suppose you could say, but he was insanely skilled.

I think some of the blame has to go to the Sens coaches of the past.

They should have broken this habit when Spezza was 18-19 years old.

Creativity and risk are one thing. Bad decisions are another.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Spezza has garnered comparisons to Yzerman throughout his career. Let's hope that with the C on his chest he makes those comparisons more complete.

Also interesting to note that the year before his 30 year old season Yzerman missed 35 games (lockout), and then went on to put up his last 'great' offensive year with 95 points (he hovered around p/g or lower the rest of his career).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->