GDT: Sens @ Yotes | October 15 | 10 pm EST | MS Paint Karma Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Andre Benoit would look good in the bottom 6 right about now. Dude is playing unreal hockey in Colorado so far. Caught a few games and my Avs buddy has nothing but great things to say. Always wanted to keep Benny.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
Andre Benoit would look good in the bottom 6 right about now. Dude is playing unreal hockey in Colorado so far. Caught a few games and my Avs buddy has nothing but great things to say. Always wanted to keep Benny.

Ya, I liked Benoit. Reminded me of Preissing when we he was here. Undersized puckmover that was reliable on the bottom pairing. Glad to see he's doing well in Colorado.

But c'mon, have you seen Joe Corvo? That guy is entertaining to watch cuz even he doesn't know what he's gonna do next. Gotta love his "50% of the time, this move works every time!" mentality.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

This so much this.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Yeah, that's great but I think it was Benoit's decision not to sign here and not the Sens. He wanted a bigger role, one which we couldn't give. Well, he's got it.

Exactly this. The probable truth is that Andre Benoit didn't think he'd look good on the bottom pair in Ottawa because Andre Benoit knew he could be more than that in Colorado with the opportunity they were offering. He made the right choice and it's great seeing him succeed so far.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Exactly this. The probable truth is that Andre Benoit didn't think he'd look good on the bottom pair in Ottawa because Andre Benoit knew he could be more than that in Colorado with the opportunity they were offering. He made the right choice and it's great seeing him succeed so far.

C.R.E.A.M

Offer him the right deal, he would have stayed.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
C.R.E.A.M

Offer him the right deal, he would have stayed.

How much is in the budget for a #5-6 defenseman? 'Bout 900k I gather and I doubt much more.

And in rare instances players are not all about the CREAM. Heck even Wu Tang..."Cash rules everything around me", around me, so not me.

This is a guy who has fought all his life to make it. Why shouldn't striving for more be one of his main priorities?

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Not only that, but he knew that two good years playing in the top 4 of Colorado and he would have a much bigger pay day than two years of being in and out of the line up as a 6/7 d-man here in Ottawa.

I thought Benoit was great and I was sad to see him go, but he did what's best for him and I'm happy he's doing great in Colorado.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
At this point or at that point to me he was better suited for a top 4 role then Cowen. Could have shifted them back and forth. Cowen's there boy tho.

Yeah, I don't disagree with any of that. by the end of the year Benoit was one of our most reliable d-men.

Cowen, not so much but the upside with him is still quite large so you can see where they just weren't in the mood to offer Benny any juicy opportunities. Andre ain't getting any younger.

Not only that, but he knew that two good years playing in the top 4 of Colorado and he would have a much bigger pay day than two years of being in and out of the line up as a 6/7 d-man here in Ottawa.

I thought Benoit was great and I was sad to see him go, but he did what's best for him and I'm happy he's doing great in Colorado.

Hey, hey...forethought on Benny's part making it a solid long-term financial decision to boot. Didn't think of that and it's a good point I think.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Salvage?

They got the best prospect in the world at the time AND a 2nd. It seemed madness at the time for a Turris.
Yes salvage, there was negativity here too questioning Turris. At the time, they were happy the salvage was as good as it was, since they were in the backseat. Hindsight tells us we win, and Phoenix did too after trading the 2nd.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Salvage?

They got the best prospect in the world at the time AND a 2nd. It seemed madness at the time for a Turris.

Isn't it a little curious that BM would trade away the best defenceman prospect Ottawa had after the yr Rundblad had in Sweden? Then trade Silfverberg away after the yr he had in Sweden winning everything a player could possibly win over there? Turris was a 3rd overal pick his draft yr & he certainly has made up for Rundblad. That has turned out to be a pretty good trade for Ottawa but the Ryan trade could take a while to pan out.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I think MacLean doesn't wanna make it look like he's already panicking, or even doubting his top players, so he's sticking to his guns for now as it is still early and on the road trip. Things might change pretty quickly if we're still sucking once back home, but for now he obviously is still hoping Spezza, Michalek and co. find their legs and that we can get things going in the right direction.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Ya, I liked Benoit. Reminded me of Preissing when we he was here. Undersized puckmover that was reliable on the bottom pairing. Glad to see he's doing well in Colorado.

But c'mon, have you seen Joe Corvo? That guy is entertaining to watch cuz even he doesn't know what he's gonna do next. Gotta love his "50% of the time, this move works every time!" mentality.

I never understood why Murray let Benoit go. The guy was very reliable and helped make an atrocious pp slightly less atrocious. He could have been re-signed for a song.

I guess the Sens envisioned Gryba to be a lot more solid then he has been.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I never understood why Murray let Benoit go. The guy was very reliable and helped make an atrocious pp slightly less atrocious. He could have been re-signed for a song.

I guess the Sens envisioned Gryba to be a lot more solid then he has been.

It sure would have beaten having Corvo on the third pairing. I don't get it either.

burf

Mar 27, 2012
It sure would have beaten having Corvo on the third pairing. I don't get it either.

Through 5 games, I'd say Corvo's outplayed the black hole of suckitude that Cowen's been so far this year. I wouldn't have minded a Benoit-Wier pairing again this year, but it's clear that the organization wants to give Cowen the opportunity.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

I remember hearing/reading something about Benoit wanting a 1 way contract and the Sens refusing to offer more then a 2way.

I might be mistaken. Doesn't make much sense either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->