Low Effort GDT SENS @ Winterpeg, Sat 10pm CBC/SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Nothing good comes out of rolling lines - You can survive if your lines are all better than your opponents.

Unfortunately, none of our lines will be better than our opponents.

If you have Patrice Bergeron and you’re trying to get him out against Matthews... sure, play the matchup.

But if you have Stepan, Anisimov, Paquette, Tierney, etc? Who cares.

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson: 18 minutes
Stutzle-Stepan-Dadonov: 17 minutes
Paul-Tierney-Brown: 15 minutes
Paquette-White-Watson: 10 minutes

Hopefully in 20 games, swap Stepan and White.

Get them in a rhythm. Stop trying to force Paquette out there for “defense”. He’s every bit as likely to make a mistake as Batherson, but at least Batherson could potentially make something good happen. Paquette can’t.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Nothing good comes out of rolling lines - You can survive if your lines are all better than your opponents.

Though we're not there yet, that's the goal in a couple years.

No harm in letting young players face different situations. We have a lead late? Put Norris, batherson, stutzle out a lot. I wanna see them learn so that when we are supposed to be good and every point counts, our young guys aren't facing situations for the first time.

Get youth on each line and roll the lines so they all get their licks in when it doesn't matter as much.

Edit: want to emphasize the point made by the poster above. Match ups make a lot of sense when you have very effective players in certain roles. But if we're protecting leads and putting out Paquette and Tierney and the result is "not so good", why is putting out the "unknown" in guys like batherson or Norris so bad? They may end up being better options for all we know lol.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Unfortunately, none of our lines will be better than our opponents.

If you have Patrice Bergeron and you’re trying to get him out against Matthews... sure, play the matchup.

But if you have Stepan, Anisimov, Paquette, Tierney, etc? Who cares.

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson: 18 minutes
Stutzle-Stepan-Dadonov: 17 minutes
Paul-Tierney-Brown: 15 minutes
Paquette-White-Watson: 10 minutes

Get them in a rhythm. Stop trying to force Paquette out there for “defense”.

Because a softer defensive matchup vs the other teams best players just leads to more goals against. It leads to your 4th line starting in the OZ and your first line starting in your DZ. You now have Brady’s line burning gas in their own end chasing MS.

It’s a lot harder to score in the league than defend and allowing 1-2 more goals a game because your rolling lines like a house league coach makes consistently winning impossible for a team like Ottawa. Ottawa doesn’t consistently when either way but there is value in being on 1 goal games vs a blow out every second night.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Though we're not there yet, that's the goal in a couple years.

No harm in letting young players face different situations. We have a lead late? Put Norris, batherson, stutzle out a lot. I wanna see them learn so that when we are supposed to be good and every point counts, our young guys aren't facing situations for the first time.

Get youth on each line and roll the lines so they all get their licks in when it doesn't matter as much.

DJ has been getting Brady’s line on the ice “in different scenarios”.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Because a softer defensive matchup vs the other teams best players just leads to more goals against. It leads to your 4th line starting in the OZ and your first line starting in your DZ. You know have Brady’s line burning gas in their own end chasing MS.

It’s a lot harder to score in the league than defend and allowing 1-2 more goals a game because your rolling lines like a house league coach makes consistently winning impossible for a team like Ottawa.

This assumes that Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson line is worse defensively than Paquette-Anisimov-Watson.

They’re not.

We have a much better chance to win if our talented players play as much as possible, in the most important situations. That means: Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson, Dadonov, Stutzle.

Guys like Watson and Paquette can play a role. But they shouldn’t be on the ice in the final minute of any game, or dictating how we play matchups.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How come weird rules? It's related to the waivers requirements. Just a lack of foresight overall. Too many vets, things like that were among the things that were bugging me before the season started. It's going to be fun when Norris sits to watch Derek Stepan or Artem Anisimov plays in his place. lol

They already waived Balcers and Chlapik in favor of Anisimov and Paquette... Even if Chlapik/Balcers are not world beaters, it still gives you an idea of their vision.
Wel just with Covid. You think they would actually want to avoid waiver pick
Ups? Why not make the taxi squad waiver exempt?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

You need to set some rules and you can't be too wide open.

Sens could have gone unrisky. More guys like Peca, Shaw, Haley... they are perfect for the taxi squad. Instead of log jamming the roster with 1-way contracts

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
This assumes that Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson line is worse defensively than Paquette-Anisimov-Watson.

They’re not.

We have a much better chance to win if our talented players play as much as possible, in the most important situations. That means: Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson, Dadonov, Stutzle.

Guys like Watson and Paquette can play a role. But they shouldn’t be on the ice in the final minute of any game, or dictating how we play matchups.

They may or may not be - they are a better possession line. They are certainly better at creating offence.

There is a reason why no coach in the league “rolls” lines.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

NHLPA wants players pushed off the roster on their way to $90 G to have a chance at league min+ with another team.

Reactions: HSF

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
2:30 in the first last game

Ya. -you keep complaining about this and I told you (which you attempted to mock me for) that the penalties occurred right before Brady’s lines shift.

Now you could argue you want Bath and Brady to kill the PP - which coaches can do but it uses up Minutes for players that are best suited elsewhere.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Dubois won’t be there thankfully
They are going to be scary good up front when he’s ready. Although...I think Laine may have been more of a threat with that group as JLD is kinda more of the same.

Carl Karlsson

Jan 15, 2021
Brady seems to think they are ready to play in the last minutes to close games out and I agree. Give the kids a chance, can't be worse than what happened last game :

TSN 1200
@TSN1200

BT-says he thinks his line is ready to be out on the ice in the last 2 minutes of a game defending a lead. We are young but we play the right way. Its the coache"s decision but we think we are ready for that.
12:38 PM · Jan 20, 2021
31 are Tweeting about this[/QUOTE]

Reactions: bert

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Brady seems to think they are ready to play in the last minutes to close games out and I agree. Give the kids a chance, can't be worse than what happened last game :

TSN 1200
@TSN1200

BT-says he thinks his line is ready to be out on the ice in the last 2 minutes of a game defending a lead. We are young but we play the right way. Its the coache"s decision but we think we are ready for that.
31 are Tweeting about this
[/QUOTE]

A) they probably are but b) what else would you expect him to say ?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ya. -you keep complaining about this and I told you (which you attempted to mock me for) that the penalties occurred right before Brady’s lines shift.

Now you could argue you want Bath and Brady to kill the PP - which coaches can do but it uses up Minutes for players that are best suited elsewhere.
How many penalties did we take in the first 2? And then jets got one half way through their PP. we weren’t short handed the whole first period. No excuse for 2:30

And again lol. I don’t think that was me

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

TSN 1200
@TSN1200

31 are Tweeting about this
[/QUOTE]
This may have been what his line was punished for lol

Reactions: Carl Karlsson

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

To absolutely no ones surprise 2:30 isn’t even correct.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
To absolutely no ones surprise 2:30 isn’t even correct.
The tweet is somewhere. It wasn’t exactly 2:30 no you’re right

mid course the team was short handed for whatever it was. So. Totallly justifies ice time for a first line coming off a dominating performance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad