Post-Game Talk: SENS vs Oilers, Sunday 9:00pm - PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
The worst part about not paying a couple good players to stick around is we get nickle and dimed with replacement level players to fill in the roster

plus we could probably get most of these guys this year for 1-1.5 per without giving up assets to get them

I don't understand why they trade away bonafide star players for draft picks that more than likely won't be as good. The obvious answer is Melnyk's lack of funds, but a good GM will find those hasbeen's players and not overpay them, leaving room to pay the stars.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't understand why they trade away bonafide star players for draft picks that more than likely won't be as good. The obvious answer is Melnyk's lack of funds, but a good GM will find those hasbeen's players and not overpay them, leaving room to pay the stars.

Well, if it's an aging star, it's likely to protect against their decline.

If we draft a star player and keep him through his ELC years and half his prime, we've already taken advantage of that players most valuable years, so expecting to get a player that will be as good is completely unreasonable imo.

Now, you might be able to land a player who could become as good but isn't quite expected to, an example of this imo is Pacioretty for Suzuki, though that one Mtl probably got more value than should be expected even taking into account that Suzuki is exceeding what was expected of him at the time of the trade.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Some of that and some of it is the horizon.. in theory you want a core of similarly aged players advancing to their peak at the same time.
Unfortunately Dorion either at the choice of the player wanting to win, or not getting the funds to resign them, or not seeing the value of $ and term moved all our close to all our NHL talent and did nothing to replace 3/4 of their ability in the roster. I think this is where he tripped and fell and imo a good GM in this stage of a rebuild would have recognized that you need some NHL capable bodies to bring your plethora of young players that can play and that deserve a good look along. This is a roster constructed to tank. Is that the plan? Not what came out of his mouth or Melnyk's but we already know they are dishonest and cannot believe anything they say at face value. If you had zero other information though, I think one would guess that its a tank year again. Still adding one good two way forward and one good solid #4 type Dman would benefit the young guys and help us from getting crushed like we have been over the past several games which does no one any good and hurts your chances moving forward on the ice and in signing or attracting key players.

Reactions: Back in Black
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad