Pre-Game Talk: Sens vs Isles Dec 28 2018 - TSN5 - 7 pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Their own identity? Whatever could Mr. Boucher mean by this?

He says "it's hard the to put your own identity the first game after Christmas" and "it's usually not a pretty game" " and that I have stopped kidding myself after these past years" -->

Does this mean it is a guaranteed no win?

I love coaches that have no faith in their team nor can they motivate their team. Wow!

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Boucher fighting for his career here. Last time a coach started an unproven AHL netminder here he got canned and publicly embarassed by the owner.

Hardly fighting for his career here. But both options are unproven AHL net-minders if you ask me, and with back to back games he'll play them both.

Besides, playing the Hogberglar tomorrow, might sell a few more tickets.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Hardly fighting for his career here. But both options are unproven AHL net-minders if you ask me, and with back to back games he'll play them both.

Besides, playing the Hogberglar tomorrow, might sell a few more tickets.
McKenna is hardly unproven. Everyone knows what he can do at this point. He is what he is.
Hogberg getting shelled by Ovie and company on a Saturday night start would be horrible. If the kid actually has a shot at being an NHL goalie, don't play him Sat and crush him.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
With a record of .459, the Senators are actually tied for the 27th best record in the league.

When teams have played an uneven number of games, throw the points standings out the window, and rank the teams by P% to be more accurate.
We're 27th by total points too. That changes absolutely nothing.

It'll take a small miracle if we don't pick up a point in this game to stay out of the bottom 3 by the new year.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
McKenna is hardly unproven. Everyone knows what he can do at this point. He is what he is.
Hogberg getting shelled by Ovie and company on a Saturday night start would be horrible. If the kid actually has a shot at being an NHL goalie, don't play him Sat and crush him.

I'll take a rested rookie, playing his first NHL game, over McKenna in the second game, of back to back games.

McKenna getting shelled is better than Hogberg getting shelled?

If Hogberg loses his first NHL start .......... he's "crushed" and can never recover from it, and has to sent a rehab center back in Sweden for the rest of his life?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
We're 27th by total points too. That changes absolutely nothing.

It'll take a small miracle if we don't pick up a point in this game to stay out of the bottom 3 by the new year.

None
of the other Major Leagues is North America, rank their standings based on points, they all, except the NHL use Winning percentage ........... the NHL awards points for losing games, in OT & SO, so they should use Points percentage, to be accurate, when comparing team's records, when teams have played an uneven number of games, which they do throughout the season.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
None of the other Major Leagues is North America, rank their standings based on points, they all, except the NHL use Winning percentage ........... the NHL awards points for losing games, in OT & SO, so they should use Points percentage, to be accurate, when comparing team's records, when teams have played an uneven number of games, which they do throughout the season.
Cool beans. Changes absolutely nothing about what we're talking about.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Hey guys, GL tonight

Clutterbuck, Hickey and Eberle are injured tonight, so the islanders lineup is likely

Lee-Nelson-Ho-Sang
Beauvillier-Barzal-Bailey
Kuhnhackl-Filppula-Komarov
Martin-Cizikas-Johnston

Leddy-Boychuk
Pelech-Pulock
Toews-Mayfield

Lehner (starting)
Greiss

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'll take a rested rookie, playing his first NHL game, over McKenna in the second game, of back to back games.

If Hogberg loses his first NHL start .......... he's "crushed" and can never recover from it, and has to sent a rehab center back in Sweden for the rest of his life?

Make up your damn mind; before Christmas the notion of starting Hogberg in the second game half of back to back games with the second game being against Washington was met with the response "what could go wrong", now all the sudden it's fine and dandy nobody should question it?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Make up your damn mind; before Christmas the notion of starting Hogberg in the second game half of back to back games with the second game being against Washington was met with the response "what could go wrong", now all the sudden it's fine and dandy nobody should question it?

Hog is not ready to be Hamburglar yet.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
If Hog was going to get a game, tonight make the most sense? That Islanders lineup outside of Barzal and Lee is about as bad as it gets offensively. You really can't expose him to a better match besides maybe Ottawa.
i think the rationale is that this is our best chance to get points, so the better goalie starts tonight.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
If Hog was going to get a game, tonight make the most sense? That Islanders lineup outside of Barzal and Lee is about as bad as it gets offensively. You really can't expose him to a better match besides maybe Ottawa.
Islander fan = can confirm. Ho-Sang is an X factor though, Eberle's injury has him finally playing with big minutes. We will see what he can do.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
i think the rationale is that this is our best chance to get points, so the better goalie starts tonight.
I wish they'd think bigger picture and have a mind for player development. Would be a great opportunity for Hogberg and a deserved one with how hes played this year.

The results don't really matter anymore. This team is headed to a bottom 3 or 5 finish no matter what. Play a more up beat style and get the young guys into meaningful minutes.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I wish they'd think bigger picture and have a mind for player development. Would be a great opportunity for Hogberg and a deserved one with how hes played this year.

The results don't really matter anymore. This team is headed to a bottom 3 or 5 finish no matter what. Play a more up beat style and get the young guys into meaningful minutes.
Especially with how well he played the other day against the Marlies. He should be rewarded with a start tonight. Now he will sit for a week and lose all the good mojo he had. Thanks Ottawa Senators!

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Their own identity? Whatever could Mr. Boucher mean by this?

He says "it's hard the to put your own identity the first game after Christmas" and "it's usually not a pretty game" " and that I have stopped kidding myself after these past years" -->

Does this mean it is a guaranteed no win?

I love coaches that have no faith in their team nor can they motivate their team. Wow!
Sounds like he's had nightmares before and after Christmas.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa

What on earth are you talking about? It's simply not a good idea to play a rookie on a big stage against a powerhouse and let him get lit up. Why you say he will be crushed and have to return to Sweden is bizarre. Why do say he will never recover?

And yes, McKenna getting shelled is much better than Hogberg. McKenna is a 35 year old career AHL goalie. I don't think his confidence will be hurt. He has established what his game is by now and has had a good AHL career. Hogberg is just starting out and doesn't need to be embarrassed. It could affect his confidence. Hopefully not, but it isn't a wise choice. The Sens are only contemplating it because of injury and a lack of depth.

Honestly, is anyone on this board saying that Hogberg should be starting NHL games right now?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Bailey is pretty good too. But yeah point taken :laugh:

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa

I agree.

Boucher's comments are also weird. Something along the lines that he can't guarantee Hogberg will get a start this weekend.

Is he really thinking of putting a career .893 goalie on a back to back?

This is the perfect time for Hogberg to start, just odd how it is being handled

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Boucher likely thinks that their best chance to win out of the 2 games is tonight by a wide margin. Starting McKenna is likely believed to give the Sens the best chance to win tonight. If McKenna does start tomorrow, I expect to see the Hog in relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad