GDT: Sens vs Habs - Chuck Norris edition - 22 Feb 2020 7:00 - SN1, SN east, City tv

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You make it sound like those guys are top players. Guess what. They aren't. And the "second best" Dman is a third pairing guy on any playoff team. All are very replaceable.
If the Sens have 2 picks in the top 6 of the draft right away they will be better than this year.
Okay but that third pairing guy on a playoff team was the only guy making our defence look not terrible this year lol (we aren’t a playoff team)

they’re not top players on a playoff team. Again. They were top players on OUR team. Hence. We will look worse next year.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
You make it sound like those guys are top players. Guess what. They aren't. And the "second best" Dman is a third pairing guy on any playoff team. All are very replaceable.
If the Sens have 2 picks in the top 6 of the draft right away they will be better than this year.
How many players in the top 6 play in the NHL right after being drafted? If I had to guess its minimal and usually from the top 3 of the draft if that

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Okay but that third pairing guy on a playoff team was the only guy making our defence look not terrible this year lol (we aren’t a playoff team)

they’re not top players on a playoff team. Again. They were top players on OUR team. Hence. We will look worse next year.

Conversely, it’s not hard to find bottom pairing guys to play elevated minutes on our squad.

DeMelo is not the difference between us being better or worse next year in the slightest. He is the very definition of easily replaceable, and for cheap.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Conversely, it’s not hard to find bottom pairing guys to play elevated minutes on our squad.

DeMelo is not the difference between us being better or worse next year in the slightest. He is the very definition of easily replaceable, and for cheap.
Smoking hot duclair. Ennis. Pageau and namestnikov and demelo were definitely massive reasons we looked okay some nights.

jusy to clarify. I’m not angry we’ll be bad next year. I just think we will be

No it is not easy to find bottom pairing d men who are cheap and who play well up in the lineup.

We are currently paying Zaitsev 4.5 and hainsey 2.5 to do just that and they looo dreadful

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Smoking hot duclair. Ennis. Pageau and namestnikov and demelo were definitely massive reasons we looked okay some nights.

Gotcha, I guess my point was that none of those guys were too hard to pick up, the guys we signed, and I figure we’ll be looking to do the same thing next year; add a few character vets on one year deals, see how training camp unfolds with the kids, and then flesh out the organization with cheap projects accordingly.

I just don’t want to see us bite on guys like DeMelo and lock them in long term when a guy like Jaros could use that bottom pairing spot to develop into a solid player for us (or someone else).

Reactions: DueDiligence

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
How many players in the top 6 play in the NHL right after being drafted? If I had to guess its minimal and usually from the top 3 of the draft if that
In this year's draft I would say 6 of the top 9 make their respective NHL teams. Meaning Sens could have 1 or both guys make it.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

No it is not easy to find bottom pairing d men who are cheap and who play well up in the lineup.

We are currently paying Zaitsev 4.5 and hainsey 2.5 to do just that and they looo dreadful
All those guys but Pageau were basically picked off the scrap heap last year. You don't think the Sens can do that again this year?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
All those guys but Pageau were basically picked off the scrap heap last year. You don't think the Sens can do that again this year?
When you consider who Dorion normally picks up in Thompson, Oduya, Zaitsev, Hainsey, Condon etc. Yeah that seems like it will fairly difficult to find that number of guys who give us better than expected results. Plus, if Pageau is gone expect big regression from Brown.

The point that our scrap heap adds basically did better this year than we could possibly imagine is valid. That turning out as well again is an unlikely scenario. Its more likely we add more Sabourins, Hainseys and Zaitsevs.

Reactions: DrEasy

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Players like Pageau, Brown, Tierney, Ennis and Tkachuk are only producing as much as they are is because they are playing prime minutes since we don't have any legit top 6 talents, maybe except Duclair.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Players like Pageau, Brown, Tierney, Ennis and Tkachuk are only producing as much as they are is because they are playing prime minutes since we don't have any legit top 6 talents, maybe except Duclair.
Tkachuk is far superior to Duclair and is a left top 6 talent

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Lmao, what are you talking about bruv. Tierney is on pace for his normal career average. Brown I believe is playing closer to his actual capability. He did have 20 goals and 36 points as a rookie. He's on pace for what? 16 goals and 47 points? Tkachuk is legit. the only guys that have worked out wonderfully are Pageau, Ennis and Duclair. If im being honest, Pageau always looked like he had extra gear capability to his game. He did score 43 points playing mostly the top line with Stone as a 23 year old.

Rest of the guys are on pace for their normal type averages/expected improvement with age, experience and ice-time.

Reactions: Jorec

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
When you consider who Dorion normally picks up in Thompson, Oduya, Zaitsev, Hainsey, Condon etc. Yeah that seems like it will fairly difficult to find that number of guys who give us better than expected results. Plus, if Pageau is gone expect big regression from Brown.

The point that our scrap heap adds basically did better this year than we could possibly imagine is valid. That turning out as well again is an unlikely scenario. Its more likely we add more Sabourins, Hainseys and Zaitsevs.
Well a couple of things give me some optimism the Sens will do OK next year.
1) they will have cap room and excess draft picks and prospects to pick up guys like Ennis or Names when other teams can't afford them.
2) with guys like Anderson, Boedker and others gone the team will have to spend money to get to the cap floor even with TC's salary kicking in.
3) A sober Bobby Ryan ( I 'm being serious here!) will be a pretty good addition to the team next year. He certainly can equal Ennis's numbers.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Is not, and 2 words, Tkachuk and Talent doesn't go together.
I believe your thoughts on BT's ability, or lack thereof, correlate negatively with the vast majority of Senator fans and hockey fans in general. Thank you for your opinion however flawed it might be.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Is not, and 2 words, Tkachuk and Talent doesn't go together.
I find it humorous that you still hold on to this belief after being shown over and over again. Good for you, never give in, hold on to your delusions. I love it, fight the truth !!!!!!!

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Lmao, what are you talking about bruv. Tierney is on pace for his normal career average. Brown I believe is playing closer to his actual capability. He did have 20 goals and 36 points as a rookie. He's on pace for what? 16 goals and 47 points? Tkachuk is legit. the only guys that have worked out wonderfully are Pageau, Ennis and Duclair. If im being honest, Pageau always looked like he had extra gear capability to his game. He did score 43 points playing mostly the top line with Stone as a 23 year old.

Rest of the guys are on pace for their normal type averages/expected improvement with age, experience and ice-time.
Please do not introduce facts into a flawed argument. They confuse people!

Reactions: Jorec

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad