GDT: Sens vs Habs - Chuck Norris edition - 22 Feb 2020 7:00 - SN1, SN east, City tv

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Long way to go and historically bad are two different things completely though. I expect a really competitive team night in and out. More so than this year anyway. And I dont think I'm dreaming in technicolor personally, although some of it is blind hope in the youth for sure.
ya historically bad is probably an overreaction on the posters part

i do think we will be bottom 5 next year and it might be good. We need more high picks and talent injected into the roster

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

i do think we will be bottom 5 next year and it might be good. We need more high picks and talent injected into the roster

Probably...maybe. I dunno man, who knows? I have a huge man crush on batherson and I think he and tkachuk will become a force to reckon with.

Past that, who knows...

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Probably...maybe. I dunno man, who knows? I have a huge man crush on batherson and I think he and tkachuk will become a force to reckon with.

Past that, who knows...
i think the biggest thing that will hold us back is the growing pains we will have at centre and on defense. Not worried about the wingers like bath and tkachuk like you said

Reactions: SpezDispenser

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd consider getting out of the bottom 5 a success next year
The problem we are going to have is introducing too much youth all at once. Norris, Batherson, Brown, Wolanin, Balcers, Brannstrom and Formenton could all play next year. That's a third of the roster with next to no NHL experience.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The problem we are going to have is introducing too much youth all at once. Norris, Batherson, Brown, Wolanin, Balcers, Brannstrom and Formenton could all play next year. That's a third of the roster with next to no NHL experience.
Yeah I've been bringing that up. Barring a possible trade or unlikely positive UFA additions, we are supplementing a basement team with rookies. They will likely not have a much better year

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

With how lacking in skill and good dmen we are, we are gonna suck for a long time. The high picks will take years to turn into impact players.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
f***, I forgot about Brown. I think it's exciting and with the right signings of old free agents to support them, that in itself is a step up.

Edit: that was my initial point, I think we'll be better next year. Perhaps not playoff bound and with many growing pains, but still a step up. I hope so anyway...

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Not long ago I posted about having Batherson and Balcers up to get them into the 70 and 60 game area respectively. That has them as young NHLers next year not rookies. Same goes for Wolanin. And they are all well seasoned. Hopefully it is enough

We might have to have Formenton Briwn and Norris up. Their play might dictate that

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

In order for us to be out of the bottom 5 we would need 5 more points than what we currently have. That's NJ Devils territory. And if that doesn't happen we're f***ed imo

We should get goaltending at minimum as good as this year, more likely a bit better

On D we should see near full time Brannstrom and Wolanin and that should be an upgrade on what we don't see

Up front, Brown, Norris, Batherson, Balcers need to be better than Namestikov, Ennis, Sabourin, Beaudin. I could add a few more names there on both sides

If we can't squeeze 5 more points out of that, then the rebuild is in trouble

And that's with me deliberately leaving the 2020 draft out of it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
In order for us to be out of the bottom 5 we would need 5 more points than what we currently have. That's NJ Devils territory. And if that doesn't happen we're f*cked imo

We should get goaltending at minimum as good as this year, more likely a bit better

On D we should see near full time Brannstrom and Wolanin and that should be an upgrade on what we don't see

Up front, Brown, Norris, Batherson, Balcers need to be better than Namestikov, Ennis, Sabourin, Beaudin. I could add a few more names there on both sides

If we can't squeeze 5 more points out of that, then the rebuild is in trouble

And that's with me deliberately leaving the 2020 draft out of it.

To me an 82 pts season is a good target, that would mean 12 more pts than our current pace and just outside the bottom 5 at 7th.

Reactions: GCK

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Wont be any worse than this year. People talk about Ennis and namestikov having good seasons, but the history is there and they were given prime minutes.

We need to fill some spots with free agents, but again, Batherson having another off season to bulk up and knowing what it takes is huge. Tkachuk being a year older will be massive. Duclair will know and work on consistency. Norris and formenton will be knocking on the door.

A lot will depend on wolanin and Brannstrom and the steps they take forward and who we we can bring in to solidify the defence a bit.
If they go on a long playoff run there won’t be a lot of time to recover and get substantially stronger in the gym. Then again a successful playoff run will be great for team development. It will be a good problem to have.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I couldn't watch the game and still haven't but looking at the highlights and advanced stats, it really didn't look easy for Montreal who were fully healthy (only Mete) vs the Sens who played without Chabot and Boro so the defense was ultra thin. And we all know rebuilding team, blablabla

Seriously, the first 2 Habs goals were gifts from Anderson who tried to make plays with his stick but missed and the 3rd one was a bad turnover in front of the net. On the other hand, Price made some dandy saves. The game looked at least very close

lol at Claude Julien and the Habs so butthurt about Tkachuk, the ultimate troll. And when Domi went directly into Duclair who was defending vs the puck carrier. Domi got a penalty, Julien was nodding and pretty sure the crowd was booing. It's actually surprising that the Habs got the call considering Montreal typical

For those being "depressed" at the team (I haven't read the thread but kinda of expecting it from experience), keep in mind that the team will be very different. Chabot, Wolanin and Brannstrom on defense will be refreshing to begin with.

NOTE : Carolina vs Toronto : Ayres got a win with 8 Saves. CRAZY YOU GOTTA SEE THAT lol at the Leafs

Reactions: God Says No

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

If management has any brain, they will go after a solid UFA or 2(top 6 F AND D) so we can start the trend upward and develop our guys.

Next year gonna be a vital development year for guys like Batherson, Norris, Brannstrom, Tkachuk, White, Hogberg, etc...

We absolutely cannot let them plateau or stagnate, we must insulate and let them do their own thing or else we will become Buffalo or even Toronto.

Free agency group this year is hot trash tho.

Reactions: DrEasy

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

hope they don't, this team needs to tank next year as well. the lack of skill on the roster is appalling

I respectfully disagree as, unless we draft 1st or 2nd overall, there is no guarantee the pick will be NHL ready (either this year or next's years top 5 pick) soon after they are drafted.

At this point, the only players who can save this franchise from futility and several more years of shame and humiliation will be the ones already drafted over the past 4 or 5 years.

We cannot rely on this year's pick (unless maybe we get Lafreniere), to be an impact player immediately nor can we assume the same for the 2021 pick if we tank again next year (unless maybe it is 1st overall again)

Simply acquiring high end talent is not enough, it takes the right kind of players to build a winning team, just look at the Leafs after last night, their fans want to trade Marner of all players because they have had enough.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I respectfully disagree as, unless we draft 1st or 2nd overall, there is no guarantee the pick will be NHL ready (either this year or next's years top 5 pick) soon after they are drafted.

At this point, the only players who can save this franchise from futility and several more years of shame and humiliation will be the ones already drafted over the past 4 or 5 years.

We cannot rely on this year's pick (unless maybe we get Lafreniere), to be an impact player immediately nor can we assume the same for the 2021 pick if we tank again next year (unless maybe it is 1st overall again)

Simply acquiring high end talent is not enough, it takes the right kind of players to build a winning team, just look at the Leafs after last night, their fans want to trade Marner of all players because they have had enough.
That's what I said... I think we will be bottom 5 again

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
If management has any brain, they will go after a solid UFA or 2(top 6 F AND D) so we can start the trend upward and develop our guys.

Next year gonna be a vital development year for guys like Batherson, Norris, Brannstrom, Tkachuk, White, Hogberg, etc...

We absolutely cannot let them plateau or stagnate, we must insulate and let them do their own thing or else we will become Buffalo or even Toronto.

Free agency group this year is hot trash tho.
Don't go after free agents

Help teams out who need cap space

Kinda like how we got brown or how the nucks got Pearson and jt Miller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad