News Article: Sens turned down way better offers for Karlsson

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This was an article in the Athletic. I saw the link on Twitter but was at work and was going to read it later. It seems to have since been removed. Did anyone see it?
Might be referring to Jason Bothford who writes for the Athletic making some comments on the air at TSN1040.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Could very possibly be it. What was said?
I didn't hear it, but there's a thread on the main boards. Basically he said he knew a much better offer was made by an east team (tampa I guess) but sens took the worse offer to move him to the west.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I thought we already had confirmation of this. Dorion wont deal with the east or something to that efect. Could be an ego thing for Melnyk not wanting to risk Karlsson showing him up in his own barn more often or against a rival.

In hindsight, we also could have just had Boedkker thrown in to the Karlsson deal and use Hoffman for actual value.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I thought we already had confirmation of this. Dorion wont deal with the east or something to that efect. Could be an ego thing for Melnyk not wanting to risk Karlsson showing him up in his own barn more often or against a rival.

In hindsight, we also could have just had Boedkker thrown in to the Karlsson deal and use Hoffman for actual value.

Yep. So unbelievably short sighted. We should have sat on Hoff and EK if the plan was to deal them both anyway. Just shows how our front office has the brain of a goldfish when it comes to making decisions.

I feel like the whole "don't deal to the east" thing has to be a Melnyk thing. It's so ridiculously illogical in this case that the only feasible place it could come from is his moronic mind. We're rebuilding. When you do that, you don't give a flying f*** how good everyone else is. Because by the time you get good, they won't be as good anymore, and you will be better.

Pretty damn embarrassing for the front office of a professional sports franchise.

Reactions: Beville and Gesus

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The only time I can see refusing to trade in the East is when you're dealing with a Toronto or Montreal. Helping your biggest rivals (and highways travel teams) by gifting them a generational talent is something that hurts a bit too much.

But other than that, who the hell cares? Get the best assets you can.

Reactions: Beville and Gesus

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Jeff Marek claims the Sens turned down a Honka, Shore, Hintz and picks package from Dallas. I'm not sure that's 'better', but it's out there.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Jeff Marek claims the Sens turned down a Honka, Shore, Hintz and picks package from Dallas. I'm not sure that's 'better', but it's out there.
There's no logic to turning down a better deal from a different western team, so while better is in the eye of the beholder, it's near certain that we say the SJ offer as the best coming out of the west. Whether we rejected a better deal from the east on the other hand is more believable.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Merkley
Balcers
Meier
2020 1st
2021 1st if EK resigns.

That's what an actual good trade for EK would look like.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
not trading with a division / conference is a relatively common thing.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder so I guess it goes without saying that the EK return was the best out there from the west in Dorion's mind. George McPherson is on record saying they weren't going to give away the farm kind of thing for an unsigned player

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Yeah, that is not better. I'm assuming the better package came from the east.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
If we’re taking botchford at this word that there were better offers it would be nice to know when these offers were on the table at the very least. Coming out and saying there were better offers without any details is pointless.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If we’re taking botchford at this word that there were better offers it would be nice to know when these offers were on the table at the very least. Coming out and saying there were better offers without any details is pointless.

there's been so many things said in the 9 months leading up to Karlsson being traded.....and all of it wrong....that at this point I am taking everything said by the media with more grains of salt.

Reactions: BondraTime

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Botchford is talking out of his &%% - he doesn't have a clue what was offered by who. What we do know is this - not one team was willing to part with their top prospect. Tampa wouldn't trade Sergachev, Dallas wouldn't trade Heiskanen, Vegas wouldn't trade Glass, etc. Why? Because Karlsson was and is a rental. He's an amazing, blue chip rental, but right now he's a rental. That significantly limited the return we could get. (We got some protection built in to the SJ trade in case he signs there, which was smart.) If Botchford says we got a better offer, then he should either give some details or zip it.

Reactions: Tnuoc Alucard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad