Speculation: Sens to Host Winter Classic in 2017/18?

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
I'm personally not a fan of these gimmicks but I know that I'm in the minority. For those of you that are, Tim Baines of the Sun interviewed Jeff Hunt and the following came up:

"Q: Any guarantees of the Grey Cup being played in Ottawa?

A: What's on our minds and we just have to get the CFL to think the same way -- 2017 is Canada's 150th birthday. There are already thoughts of the (NHL) Winter Classic being in Ottawa that year. To host the Grey Cup, you'd have to add additional temporary seating. Wouldn't it be nice to build the extra seating and keep it up for a Winter Classic?"

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
If I'm still around, I'll be at the Grey Cup and the Winter/Heritage Classic.

Go RedblackSens Go !

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
"There are already thoughts of the (NHL) Winter Classic being in Ottawa that year."

Says who? Him?

Sorry to confirm Ghost's comment but it's true - no way Ottawa would be playing in the Winter Classiq. It's really sad that Canada gets stuck w/ the 3 pm "Heritage Classic" with-the-sun-in-the-eyes-blocking-vision but that's just how Bettman wants to run the show.

cliu122

Nov 13, 2011
Coincidentally that also happens to be the Senators' 25 year anniversary. I feel like they are almost obligated to have an outdoor game just for that reason. I would love to see a Senators Maple Leafs game outdoors. Is there any suitable venue? I heard that Ottawa was getting a new CFL team, will there stadium be ready in time? If so I feel that that would be worth taking a trip to Ottawa assuming I could afford it.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
They definitely have to use the old logo on a new jersey between now and then.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Would be so much cooler if they could have it on the canal. Lets be honest, the RedBlacks probably wont be around then anyways.

Ottawa city council will find a way to screw it up too.

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Would be so much cooler if they could have it on the canal.

Sens/Habs on Dow's lake.

This has been rumoured for a long time, and I think it would be a wild success. I'm hoping we follow in Calgary and Detroit's footsteps and have a Major Junior game or two along with it. A Hull/Ottawa game would be ideal, but Hull and Ottawa playing somebody like Drummondville and Peterborough would be acceptable though.

As soon as they announce it though, I'm planning to bombard the Olympiques with emails about my jersey concept.

BIfbSqDCUAAJh--.png

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i would freaking love it if the CHL let the 67's and piques play an exhibition game.

but yeah, 2017 grey cup followed by 2018 heritage classic makes logistical sense.

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
i would freaking love it if the CHL let the 67's and piques play an exhibition game.

Exhibition game? Screw that! I want it to count!

Between the 1999-2000 and 2002-03 seasons, there were a number of inter-league home and homes, including Hull/Ottawa (4), Montréal/Toronto (2), Shawinigan/Oshawa (3), Rouyn-Noranda/Sudbury, Val-d'Or/North Bay, Victoriaville/Belleville (2), and Montréal/Peterborough. They need to bring it back.

As much as I'm sure everyone enjoyed watching the Huskies and Otters duke it out in the pre-season, you don't get the same magic as you do in a real game.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00