Pre-Game Talk: Sens @ Tampa Sat 11/10/2018 7pm

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I do this all the time. You never bet for your favourite team, because when they lose its a double whammy. This especially applies in the playoffs. I think to myself "would I pay 50 bucks to see Ottawa win tonight?" If the answer is yes, I bet it on the opponent. That way if they lose I get free dinner as a consolation.

Eh, fair enough.

Reactions: Hands of Stone

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I do this all the time. You never bet for your favourite team, because when they lose its a double whammy. This especially applies in the playoffs. I think to myself "would I pay 50 bucks to see Ottawa win tonight?" If the answer is yes, I bet it on the opponent. That way if they lose I get free dinner as a consolation.

This is the only way I bet on sports, too. Won a bunch of money on Karlsson's Norris losses. I was disappointed, but at least I was eating seafood.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That looks like a playoff team to me. And we have so many call ups available, Balcers, Chlapik and Brown obv when he comes back. Deep, so deep.

Edit: Personally I like 17, Mccormick, he seems to bring something and I like it, I always see him around the net.

The thing I like about McCormick over Pyatt and Paajarvi is the grit and jam that he brings. He is not afraid to mix it up and take the man.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

I kinda doubt Duchene, Dzingel, Stone and Pageau will be on the same game day roster again this season. The trade deadline is Feb 25th and that would be around when Pageau is expected to come back, if he does at all. Batherson will probably replace Stone. Pageau replace Duchene and Paul/Smith/Chlapik replace Dzingel.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I kinda doubt Duchene, Dzingel, Stone and Pageau will be on the same game day roster again this season. The trade deadline is Feb 25th and that would be around when Pageau is expected to come back, if he does at all. Batherson will probably replace Stone. Pageau replace Duchene and Paul/Smith/Chlapik replace Dzingel.
Good point that's likely true. Too bad Pageau got hurt this year. We could really use him right now. Only silver lining is for a guy like White who has likely seen more opportunity.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
That looks like a playoff team to me. And we have so many call ups available, Balcers, Chlapik and Brown obv when he comes back. Deep, so deep.

Edit: Personally I like 17, Mccormick, he seems to bring something and I like it, I always see him around the net.

I'm still not convinced.

None of the changes being suggested addresses our blueline. We already aren't having any problems scoring goals. Bringing in replacements on the 4th line might help in maintaining our Goals-For over the course of a season, but changing out unproductive forwards for more productive ones isn't going to solve out Goals Against issue. I can't see how everyone is suggesting that replacing a guy like Pyatt or Paajarvi will solve everything. I mean... I approve of replacing those two guys, because they are clearly not helping the team right now, but unless we are replacing them with guys who can keep pucks out of the net, then we're not really addressing the main issue with this team as it is currently constructed.

We're not going to consistently score 6 goals a game all season to win these kinds of games. It's great when it happens and awesome to watch, but that's not a sustainable long-term strategy. We need at least one more top-4 defenceman who will be a leader on our PK and we can match up against opposing team's top lines. Someone we can play instead of Ceci in defensive zone faceoffs late in games, who we can depend on to defend when we're being hemmed in our own zone to be able to clear the puck out and not cough it up and give opposing teams unnecessary secondary scoring chances. We need SOMEONE who vaguely looks like a shutdown defenceman, who can be a leader defensively and take ownership of the blueline.

Those guys are expensive, no doubt, but that's what we're missing. Oh, also a backup goalie for Andy so that he doesn't run out of gas by Game 60, but at least backup goalies are cheap to acquire.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
I'm still not convinced.

None of the changes being suggested addresses our blueline. We already aren't having any problems scoring goals. Bringing in replacements on the 4th line might help in maintaining our Goals-For over the course of a season, but changing out unproductive forwards for more productive ones isn't going to solve out Goals Against issue. I can't see how everyone is suggesting that replacing a guy like Pyatt or Paajarvi will solve everything. I mean... I approve of replacing those two guys, because they are clearly not helping the team right now, but unless we are replacing them with guys who can keep pucks out of the net, then we're not really addressing the main issue with this team as it is currently constructed.

We need at least one more top-4 defenceman who will be a leader on our PK and we can match up against opposing team's top lines. Someone we can play instead of Ceci in defensive zone faceoffs late in games. We need SOMEONE who vaguely looks like a shutdown defenceman, who can be a leader defensively and take ownership of the blueline.

Those guys are expensive, no doubt, but that's what we're missing. Oh, also a backup goalie for Andy so that he doesn't run out of gas by Game 60.
I was thinking this exact thing last night. We need a top 4 guy on the back end who is tough, physical, punishes guys around the net and can skate. Essentially a much better Boro. That would do wonders.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
No bums in the seats. Euge not going any where. He said he' cut player salaries and he will to the extent possible. Not saying he'd ever be a big spender but we know he'll cut costs. IMO any glimmers of success we are seeing now will remain glimmers. 3 UFAs , + Ceci , I'd imagine 2/4 minimum will be gone and we won't be adding expensive players no matter how good value they could be.

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
I'm still not convinced.

We're not going to consistently score 6 goals a game all season to win these kinds of games. It's great when it happens and awesome to watch, but that's not a sustainable long-term strategy. We need at least one more top-4 defenceman who will be a leader on our PK and we can match up against opposing team's top lines. Someone we can play instead of Ceci in defensive zone faceoffs late in games, who we can depend on to defend when we're being hemmed in our own zone to be able to clear the puck out and not cough it up and give opposing teams unnecessary secondary scoring chances. We need SOMEONE who vaguely looks like a shutdown defenceman, who can be a leader defensively and take ownership of the blueline.

Those guys are expensive, no doubt, but that's what we're missing. Oh, also a backup goalie for Andy so that he doesn't run out of gas by Game 60, but at least backup goalies are cheap to acquire.
Crosby always talks about forward depth to go far in the playoffs, and obv becuase he played with such deep teams.

I was just thinking the more stars that hem the other team in their own end is the best defence, roll 4 strong lines.

This is only one way of thinking but it kind of fits our current team. We have the strong puck moving defencemen in Chabot and a maturing Lajoie. They move the puck up quick and we can play like the penguins in their two cup runs. From an optimistic stand point I am just looking at the line up and belleville and all I can see is fast young skilled forwards.

Mark Effin Stone

I miss Kuba
May 10, 2010
Stockholm
The thing that is against this team even sniffing at the playoffs right now is in my opinion the ability to take the puck out of our own end with control, way to much desperation icings and lobs out to center ice. Good thing is that can be coached and hopefully somewhat fixed.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I was thinking this exact thing last night. We need a top 4 guy on the back end who is tough, physical, punishes guys around the net and can skate. Essentially a much better Boro. That would do wonders.
If there was such a D available.. Say Colton Paryako just as a for instance what would you be willing to give up for him.. knowing you'd have to overpay to get him; out bidding teams like the Leafs for example.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I woke up to see TSN's latest hatchet job on our top defenceman.

Leafs give up 5 goals and lost 5-1 and I don't see a red circle following their mistakes around.

Holy shit, you’re not kidding.

This is clearly an anti-Sens-d bias. I don’t see this kind of critique on any other teams’ defensemen. They’re playing defense on their Reilly cheerleading by attacking the Sens kid that’s actually bringing the thunder.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If there was such a D available.. Say Colton Paryako just as a for instance what would you be willing to give up for him.. knowing you'd have to overpay to get him; out bidding teams like the Leafs for example.

If the Kings at any point decide they're done this season and start moving pieces, and we're still reasonably close to a playoff spot, I'd love to see what they want for a guy like Jake Muzzin.

Reactions: Deku

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Holy ****, you’re not kidding.

This is clearly an anti-Sens-d bias. I don’t see this kind of critique on any other teams’ defensemen. They’re playing defense on their Reilly cheerleading by attacking the Sens kid that’s actually bringing the thunder.
got a link?

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

Looks like Pageau may be back sooner than expected!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->