Player Discussion Sens talk - Early Season Impressions

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Writer for the Athletic James Gordon talks about the first 8 games of the Ottawa Senators season!

Topics include:
-Erik Karlsson's impact
-Guy Boucher's use of rookies
-Team possession numbers
-Kyle Turris' contract situation
-Divisional outlook

note: wan't sure where to put this so ... please move to appropriate location if required

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I like the team mentality this season, we seem to be going after teams more and not sitting back in our shell. Despite being impressed with the team I still feel they have big time room to improve - especially on managing games late and bringing home W.

Lot's to like. Team seems faster then last year, more aggressive and better depth.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Lots of positives:
- Formenton, Chlapik, Brown, CHABOT.
- Brassard continuing where he left off last playoffs, Ryan too until he got injured. Claesson also.
- Ceci seems to have taken a step forward.
- Vets Phaneuf, Thompson, Pyatt, Oduya, Smith, etc. playing well
- Goaltending is solid.
- Good team mentality.
- The PK is awesome, the PP looks better.

Things to improve:
- Better usage of rookies.
- Stop sitting on leads (it's less frequent now but I still noticed it a couple of times).
- Stop overthinking OT, why do we always have 2 dmen? If you're gonna toss a coin anyways by waiting it out to the shootout, might as well just go all in.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
I have also found us playing less up and down to our competition this year. Less defensive gaffs and much better zone entries.

Receipe for success.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Can't believe all the injuries. Sure we knew going in about Karlsson, but Harpur, Oduya, Smith, Boro, Ryan, White. We're dropping bodies almost every game

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The Sens start without Karlsson was really impressive.. as was Chabot on the tail end of that western trip. The team should have at least 2 more wins and possibly 3. When they are on they are very good. I expect them to lose a couple in the next bit while they get healthy. Our higher end forward depth is not very good. Losing Ryan really hurts. I'd like to see them get a decent forward on an expiring contract or a yet to break out player at a not too expensive cost to help us this year. Boucher is really rookie averse. That's him. A coaches perspective is short term.... win this game.. don't look too far ahead.. A GM has to look at longer term development and manage the $. I think PD and GB need to get together on what it means to have rookies in the lineup vs in the press box.. I wish PD luck with that discussion. Boucher is a great game and systems coach.. he really should leave OT to one of his assistants... nobody can overthink 3 on 3s like Guy.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
Season so far has met my expectations and given the injuries we've had to start I'm happy where Sens sit in the standings early.

Team is bound to put some win streaks together when EK gets hot so as long as we keep improving special teams and goaltending we look like a playoff team again.

I've been impressed with ryan, hoff and brassard in particular. Goaltending is usually a strength for us, it will get better... but both need to avoid playing the puck

Reactions: Cosmix

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I concur with everything that you guys have said so far

The only negative i have is our home record so far but other than that its all good

PS: I would love if the players would keep forechecking even when we have the lead.

Last season after 9 games we were 6-3-0 27:26 12pts -1
This season: 4-1-4 32:24 12pts +8

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
The only complaint I have is Alex Burrows.

He's been our worst forward by far but he is out there playing on the power play. Maybe it's to justify the 2.5 mill tag? But he's been a drag on whoever he has played. He's predictably lost a step and routinely loses possession of the puck.

Aside from that everyone has looked good. Even Boro has looked good for his standards.

Reactions: DrEasy

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
i don't care what everyone says
nate thompson has been "useful" apart from the ovechkin GTG on opening night he's been solid on both ends of the ice.

this is coming from someone who didn't like the FA signing

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad