Player Discussion Evgenii Dadonov (RW)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Just because one GM was terrible at drafting doesn't mean that the next guy. Also the majority of those 18 players played here before 2005. My point is that its clear as day that the sens have shied away from Russians, and just because they picked one this year doesn't change that narrative.

Well, the KHL started up in 2008.

Reactions: Xspyrit

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I love this signing. The term, the money, the fit. It's all really good.

I remember Dadonov having amazing chemistry with Huberdeau while with the Panthers. Obviously Huberdeau and Tkachuk are very different players but they do tend to play in the same areas on the ice and I think Dadonov will be an ideal fit on the opposite wing playing off the rush and driving the net while Tkachuk works the boards.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
I am calling it now.... Dadonov and Logan Brown are going to have chemistry.

Tkachuk Tierney Batherson
Norris Brown Dadonov
Stutzle White C. Brown
Paul Anisimov Watson

Logan Brown did not show any intensity and desire to play in NHL so far. For example I researched Sokolov, listened to his interviews and on every level this guy showed that he wants to make an impact and to make the next step at any cost possible. During one interview he said, that he will do anything and everything the coach will ask him to do. I am sure Brown was asked multiple times to show that he belongs. Tkachuk is not the first line talent, not even the second now. Tierney is the third line center and if White will take on this role as he should be. Tierney is expandable right away. So is C. Brown.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Good player...but I'm not so sure signing a 31-year old to a three year deal is the right way to go right now.

I have concerns too; however, we have so little first line talent at this time.

He turned 31 in March 2020, so we will have him for three years from age 31 to age 34. I think he will be a useful addition for the first year or two but after that could see a decline.

I am also concerned that the Senators do not have a proven first line center to play with him, like he had with Florida. Heck we also do not have an experienced second line center. Maybe we will get lucky and have Norris, Stutzle or L. Brown develop quickly into first and second line centers. I don't have much confidence that the other center prospects will develop into top 6 players.

Oral64

Aug 17, 2020
Logan Brown did not show any intensity and desire to play in NHL so far. For example I researched Sokolov, listened to his interviews and on every level this guy showed that he wants to make an impact and to make the next step at any cost possible. During one interview he said, that he will do anything and everything the coach will ask him to do. I am sure Brown was asked multiple times to show that he belongs. Tkachuk is not the first line talent, not even the second now. Tierney is the third line center and if White will take on this role as he should be. Tierney is expandable right away. So is C. Brown.
Good to hear that Sokolov brings a high-compete level. After three years in the QMJHL, this guy should be on the verge of game-ready in the NHL. With both Anisimov and Dadonov as veteran Russian mentors, the combination of all three could form an exciting and competitive second line for the Sens that displays size and scoring punch

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Good to hear that Sokolov brings a high-compete level. After three years in the QMJHL, this guy should be on the verge of game-ready in the NHL. With both Anisimov and Dadonov as veteran Russian mentors, the combination of all three could form an exciting and competitive second line for the Sens that displays size and scoring punch
He’s not on the verge of game ready in the NHL

Reactions: GCK

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017

Yeah Sokolov may play with Dadonov, but it would be in the final year of Dadonov's contract. He's needs to play better competition before penciling him into the line-up.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah Sokolov may play with Dadonov, but it would be in the final year of Dadonov's contract. He's needs to play better competition before penciling him into the line-up.
Sokolov needs more development. That place is the AHL if it operates, or possibly in Europe if it does not. Given the larger ice surface in Europe, it might be tougher for him to play there due to his skating skills and slow speed. But it would force him to move more which might improve his game.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This makes no sense, it took them over 10 years to figure out that they should only sign Russians who already play in NA? Why is that exactly? There was plenty of good Russians drafted this time period.
Just because one GM was terrible at drafting doesn't mean that the next guy. Also the majority of those 18 players played here before 2005. My point is that its clear as day that the sens have shied away from Russians, and just because they picked one this year doesn't change that narrative.

Your conclusion is bizarre as well. You're saying that we aren't against them, however we just choose not to draft them because of "the Russian factor". Purposely ignoring that part of the world because of a few late round picks not panning it is plain delusional. Signing guys like Kovalev and Gonchar were good moves, however they were both at the end of the careers with minimal impact on the team in the long run.

I'm a bit confused as what is hard to understand here.

It didn't take "10 years to figure out that they should only sign Russians", it's only Muckler who went crazy on that for 4 years. When Murray took over, it was already a terminated trend, even Muckler himself didn't take any in 2006 and 2007 (except Bashkirov but he had spent a year in NA already)

Summary of the factual events

1- Muckler drafted several russian prospects playing IN Russia, many of them just never came over (see "russian factor*") = FAILED picks (9 russian picks in 4 drafts from 2002-2005, 20 NHL GP lol), and not just "a few late round picks" like you say, three 2nds, two 3rds and a 4th, a 5th, a 6th and a 9th)

2- After Bryan Murray took over for the 2008 draft, he didn't draft any russian prospects but that didn't stop him from signing Alexei Kovalev and Sergei Gonchar, 2 of the biggest names in Russia hockey and also 2 of the biggest UFA signings in Ottawa history. Maybe they were towards the end of their careers but minimal impact? I'm sure many would disagree with that, at least for Gonchar and at least for Kovalev 1st season (heck even trading him allowed to Sens to find Dzingel, who was eventually traded for two 2nds and Duclair)

3- Dorion took over in 2016 and didn't draft any russians, until this year with Sokolov who has been playing in NA for 3 years though. Didn't seem to have a problem trading for Namestnikov, Abramov, Zaitsev, Anisimov, etc and signing Dadonov.

Your statement "the majority of those 18 players played here before 2005" is also totally FALSE. All these guys played on the Sens in the Crosby Era :

Anton Volchenkov
Sergei Gonchar
Alexei Kovalev
Vladislav Namestnikov
Artem Anisimov
Nikita Zaitsev
Oleg Saprykin
Ilya Zubov
Vitaly Abramov
Alexei Kaigorodov
Nikita Filatov
Alexander Nikulin

That's 12 guys out of 18 guys. Another new one this year in Dadonov and maybe another soon in Sokolov.

You realize that overall, only 257 russians played in NHL history? I can assure you that if you do a research for every team, you will find that the Senators didn't have less russians than the vast majority of teams. I actually wonder where they would rank since 2005 in number of russians to have dress for every team. I think it would quite high with 12.

I'm not giving my opinion here, I am stating the reality. If you think the reality makes no sense, then ok cool. So it's very easy to say "Your conclusion is bizarre", "This makes no sense", "its clear as day" or "it is plain delusional" but you should make sure your argumentation holds the road a little bit more before calling me out like that...

Is it my fault that you have absolutely no idea of what the "russian factor" is?

The Russian Factor
Russian Factor Definition - Sporting Charts
https://www.si.com/hockey/news/how-the-russian-factor-impacts-the-nhl-draft

Well, the KHL started up in 2008.

Well, that's another point but look at my response above. Actually, 12 of these 18 russians have suited for the Sens AFTER 2005. It's going to be 13/19 this year and maybe even 14/20 soon depending how well Sokolov adjusts to the pros.

Last edited:

Oral64

Aug 17, 2020
He’s not on the verge of game ready in the NHL

That's a really dismissive, unsupported statement about Sokolov. You seem to ignore that the other Russians on the Sens could really help accelerate his progress. He has a great attitude, and is of the right age, and certainly the right size to cut it in the big leagues. Most importantly, his terrific progress at Cape Breton should not be overlooked. I see parallels with the way Mark Stone dramatically improved his game with Brandon after Ottawa drafted him in the 6th round of the 2010 draft.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
This has been one killer week. For me anyways. Two things happened that I never thought would...

I started a new job on Tuesday, and I was nervous as hell about it for the last 4 weeks - like literally on the verge of a mental breakdown at points it felt like (I'm a creature of habit and left a company where I was at the top of the food chain, closer to home by 20 minutes, and had 10 years of seniority there). And I doubted my decision from the second I made it official.

Week one is officially done - and I f***ing love the job and the new company, and I think made the best choice of my life (I hope anyways, so far *knock on wood*).

And the second thing, the Ottawa Senators made a big free agent signing. A f***ing great one. And I'm still in a state of shock about this, but my christ I dont think I've ever seen HFSens unanimously rejoice about a move ever before. Like in the history of this site I'm saying. Virtual high-five my f***ing dudes (and sistas).

Maybe Dany Heatley for Marian Hossa, that's the only other time I can think of every person across the board being over the moon about a move. I wasnt even a member, just a lurker at that point. Sportsnet forums were a thing then lol, and I was active there.....But I do remember pure joy from the fanbase (lmao I guess that bitch Karma had something to say about it all though, and she got the last laugh).

Last edited:

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
This has been one killer week. For me anyways. Two things happened that I never thought would...

I started a new job on Tuesday, and I was nervous as hell about it for the last 4 weeks - like literally on the verge of a mental breakdown at points it felt like (I'm a creature of habit and left a company where I was at the top of the food chain, closer to home by 20 minutes, and had 10 years of seniority there). And I doubted my decision from the second I made it official.

Week one is officially done - and I f***ing love the job and the new company, and I think made the best choice of my life (I hope anyways, so far *knock on wood*).

And the second thing, the Ottawa Senators made a big free agent signing. A f***ing great one. And I'm still in a state of shock about this, but my christ I dont think I've ever seen HFSens unanimously rejoice about a move ever before. Like in the history of this site I'm saying. Virtual high-five my f***ing dudes (and sistas).

Maybe Dany Heatley for Marian Hossa, that's the only other time I can think of every person across the board being over the moon about a move. I wasnt even a member, just a lurker at that point. Sportsnet forums were a thing then lol, and I was active there.....But I do remember pure joy from the fanbase (lmao I guess that bitch Karma had something to say about it all though, and she got the last laugh).

Congrats bro

Reactions: Samsquanch

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Just watched a video of Dadonov's goal from last season. I look forward to my son, Timmy, dishing Dadonov one timers in the slot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad