Sens sign College FA Andrew Sturtz

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
There's less than 2 years of age between them. Gallagher will have scored twice as many goals this year in the NHL than this dude will have in the ACHA (a division of collegiate hockey where Central Oklahoma won this year lol).

Not complaining but this guy isn't really comparable to any NHL calibre player at this point.

We've been comparing play styles, not direct skill.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
There's less than 2 years of age between them. Gallagher will have scored twice as many goals this year in the NHL than this dude will have in the ACHA (a division of collegiate hockey where Central Oklahoma won this year lol).
ACHA is where Joel Daccord is playing.
Penn State is in BIG10 which is one of the strongest divisions in NCAA. And they won it last year and went into Frozen Four.
Penn State is currently ranked #12-13 in the entire NCAA which is higher than Boston University, Boston College, North Dakota, Minnesota among others.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
ACHA is where Joel Daccord is playing.
Penn State is in BIG10 which is one of the strongest divisions in NCAA. And they won it last year and went into Frozen Four.
Penn State is currently ranked #12-13 in the entire NCAA which is higher than Boston University, Boston College, North Dakota, Minnesota among others.
Thanks. Forgot the big 10 was even a thing in hockey.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Theo Fleury was never a speedster.

But just to be sure we better lock the thread.

Fair enough, still doesn't take away from the point of my post. You're complaining about a practice that is the norm for discussions about prospects. Every prospect gets compared to current NHL players as a means of describing their playing style, not necessarily their upside or skill level. If it bothers you, a prospect thread might not be the best place for ya...

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Fair enough, still doesn't take away from the point of my post. You're complaining about a practice that is the norm for discussions about prospects. Every prospect gets compared to current NHL players as a means of describing their playing style, not necessarily their upside or skill level. If it bothers you, a prospect thread might not be the best place for ya...
1. The post I originally quoted said absolutely nothing about a strictly stylistic comparison. Just said Gallagher lite.

2. I'm not complaining about the practice. My post literally said I'm not complaining.

3. Discussing the prospect is exactly what I'm doing. You just seem to be targeting me. You just don't like what I have to say.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
1. The post I originally quoted said absolutely nothing about a strictly stylistic comparison. Just said Gallagher lite.

2. I'm not complaining about the practice. My post literally said I'm not complaining.

3. Discussing the prospect is exactly what I'm doing. You just seem to be targeting me. You just don't like what I have to say.
look who youre responding to.. am I the kind to come here and be like "oh yeah sturtz, almost as good as ghallagher RIGHT NOW cup here we come" perhaps you are simply a little more tightly wound on this beautiful thursday

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
look who youre responding to.. am I the kind to come here and be like "oh yeah sturtz, almost as good as ghallagher RIGHT NOW cup here we come" perhaps you are simply a little more tightly wound on this beautiful thursday
I think my tone is coming off harsher than intended. I didn't really take any kind of offense to your comparison. I was just pointing something out.

Like I said, not complaining. We pretty much have to sign a bundle of guys like this since we have to use draft picks to get teams to ease our budget concerns. I think he'll probably do pretty well in Belleville. I certainly want guys like him over the Blundens and Dziurzynkis of this world.

Reactions: Micklebot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

So, are you suggesting he's stylistically a guy with extreme case little big-man syndrome that plays on the line of dirty and often crossing that line, with a sprinkle of a speedster in the mix? I thought that post was sarcastic, if not, it seems to be a bit hyperbolic at best when compared with the write ups I've seen.

Edit: yeah, I think this is a case of text not conveying tone very well. If you're point was simply don't get the horse before the cart, yes I think we can all agree. I think most are just trying to get a feel for what he plays like though. As I said, from the little I've read, I'm thinking stylistically somewhat similar to Conacher. Here's hoping he can transition to the NHL a little better.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Haha, fair enough.

They all look like kids once you're in your 40's. :laugh:

Hi there youngster :laugh: I have multiple kids in their 40's and one is just about to start off the next decade after that. It's all relative.

Nice to hear his old Owner/GM/Coach this morning on TSN1200. The kid sounds dedicated.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The article you posted refers to roster limit meaning that, theoretically, a team could carry 30 players right now if they so desired. The reason you rarely, if ever see this (untilthe playoffs, when it is commonplace) is because all those extra players would be receiving salary and counting against the cap. This is just my interpretation of the rule, it's not something I would have otherwise expected. That said, I am pretty sure it refers to something separate from the call-up issue anyways.

Here is the relevant portion of the CBA pertaining to post-deadline call-ups:

View attachment 108545

The first fragment of the first sentence refers, in complicated but precise terms, to the Trade Deadline. Subsection (i) spells out the rule I am wondering about, given that Summers is not with a club of any league affiliated with the NHL (or, I believe, on our Reserve List).

This article elaborates quite thoroughly on the issue but only references NCAA in the final sentence. They seem to imply that NCAA and CHL players are exempt from that rule, but they might be subject to different regulations.

Thanks.. I saw that on the 40 days but found the language confusing. Ok so be it ... 4 callup limit.. except for emergencies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's not the fan base it's an hf thing and its embarrassing.

To me it shouldn’t be an extreme or the other. Some people calling on Montreal’s radio (actually a lot of them) seem to believe that « it’s because there is not enough Quebec players on the team», that they would find glory again if they would draft and sign every little player from the province. To me it’s some weird pride and lol I’m coming from one of the worst countries regarding that (national pride)

Habs currently have Drouin, Danault, Hudon, Deslauriers and even had Torrey Mitchell earlier this season.

Now look at the active list of QC players :

Active NHL Players Born in Quebec Career Stats

Several others on that list passed through Montreal’s system : Dumont, Bournival, Beauchemin, Desharnais, Barberio. It’s a list of only 59 players and many are still prospects and/or won’t be more than cup of coffee players.

The thing those people do not understand is that there’s just not that many good qc hockey players anymore, but one thing I’d agree is that the Habs should bring more quality than quantity (I guess that was the point in acquiring Drouin). lol I think the Sens have had better QC players overall (from that list) and 2 very good prospects who should have a long NHL career

Vermette, Brassard, Burrows (all top-8 in scoring), Chiasson (20th), Chabot, Dumont, Wolanin

Anyway, in conclusion it’s such a weird fixation, often you hear « dans le temps d’ Maurice Richard et Guy Lafleur », « si on avait des Québécois je te le dis qu’on gagnerait DES coupes Stanley »

lol sports fans are really fascinating

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad