Sens sign College FA Andrew Sturtz

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
He's also kind of a super-religious dude, and that has sometimes scared teams off before (Rocco Grimaldi comes to mind).

With good reason. Teams probably want well grounded individuals.

lol we may have found our new scapegoat.

Reactions: derriko

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
giphy.webp

Ottawa and Belleville need to add skill to their lineups.
What is Kelly Summers doing? re Signing with the Sens or going back to school

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
giphy.webp

Ottawa and Belleville need to add skill to their lineups.
What is Kelly Summers doing? re Signing with the Sens or going back to school

Summers has played 4 years of NCAA, is he even eligible to return?

He's a year younger than Wolanin and he really broke out this season. I wonder if he's holding out for an NHL game. Would that count as our final call-up, even if he reports directly to Ottawa?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Summers has played 4 years of NCAA, is he even eligible to return?

He's a year younger than Wolanin and he really broke out this season. I wonder if he's holding out for an NHL game. Would that count as our final call-up, even if he reports directly to Ottawa?
right you are .. I had thought it was 3.

@Gil Scott Perron Please explain the "final call-up" thing? I thought there was no limit after the TDL; only limited by Cap.
According to Article 16 Section 4, the 23-man roster limit is in place from the conclusion of the preseason until 12:01 am on the day of the NHL’s Trade Deadline. After that teams are allowed to have an unlimited active roster at the NHL level, provided players are signed to one of their 50 contract slots (note: players assigned back to their junior clubs do not count towards the 50).

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
While we're talking about NCAA free agents, if we could sign Brady Keeper out of U of Maine for the blueline, I'd be ecstatic. Getting those two would be a hell of a haul considering they are free assets.

If we are ACTUALLY targeting local guys, the obvious choice is Ryan Kuffner. He's from Ottawa and is also probably the best NCAA ufa forward available this year (if he actually decides to leave school early, that is)

Last edited:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hockey DB has him listed at 6' tall, but everywhere else I can find, including the pens dev camp roster, has him at 5'8... any chance he sprouted 4 inches between Jul 2017 to present at 22-23 years old...

Hey, Barry Bonds' head grew two hat sizes during his time in the majors - anything is possible. ;-)

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
right you are .. I had thought it was 3.

@Gil Scott Perron Please explain the "final call-up" thing? I thought there was no limit after the TDL; only limited by Cap.

The article you posted refers to roster limit meaning that, theoretically, a team could carry 30 players right now if they so desired. The reason you rarely, if ever see this (untilthe playoffs, when it is commonplace) is because all those extra players would be receiving salary and counting against the cap. This is just my interpretation of the rule, it's not something I would have otherwise expected. That said, I am pretty sure it refers to something separate from the call-up issue anyways.

Here is the relevant portion of the CBA pertaining to post-deadline call-ups:

article_f72c19ac-18c2-4088-aefa-f2890dde704e.png

The first fragment of the first sentence refers, in complicated but precise terms, to the Trade Deadline. Subsection (i) spells out the rule I am wondering about, given that Summers is not with a club of any league affiliated with the NHL (or, I believe, on our Reserve List).

This article elaborates quite thoroughly on the issue but only references NCAA in the final sentence. They seem to imply that NCAA and CHL players are exempt from that rule, but they might be subject to different regulations.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
im thinking ghallgher lite
There's less than 2 years of age between them. Gallagher will have scored twice as many goals this year in the NHL than this dude will have in the ACHA (a division of collegiate hockey where Central Oklahoma won this year lol).

Not complaining but this guy isn't really comparable to any NHL calibre player at this point.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
There's less than 2 years of age between them. Gallagher will have scored twice as many goals this year in the NHL than this dude will have in the ACHA (a division of collegiate hockey where Central Oklahoma won this year lol).

Not complaining but this guy isn't really comparable to any NHL calibre player at this point.
stylistically obviously.......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad