Attachments

• upload_2018-3-28_12-37-37.png
    upload_2018-3-28_12-37-37.png
    117 bytes · Views: 2

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Figures....played two seasons with Carleton Place Canadians. Always a local angle.

He's an American, so it's not like he's a local. It's possible that we just had more opportunities to see the kid because he played locally. I doubt we signed the kid because we thought that fans would identify more with him because he spent two winters in Carleton Place (of all places, haha).

Sturtz is exactly the kind of NCAA free agent we should be targeting - he was off everyone's radar because of non-skill issues. He's got skill oozing out of every orifice. He was dedicated to playing NCAA at an early age, which is why he played Junior B. He's also kind of a super-religious dude, and that has sometimes scared teams off before (Rocco Grimaldi comes to mind).

Sturtz was part of Pittsburg's development camp this year, and turned heads in that organization. He's a Hobey Baker candidate for Penn State this year. I love the way the kid plays - relentless, always a puck-hound, and a natural goal scorer. Kid's got a pro shot already - a deadly accurate hard wrister that he can get off from anywhere, with almost no set-up time needed. He's like Mike Hoffman in that regard, but with wrist shots instead of one-timers.

I really like this signing. He was one of the better NCAA guys available. I'm looking forward to seeing him in Dev camp already.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Kid's got a pro shot already - a deadly accurate hard wrister that he can get off from anywhere, with almost no set-up time needed. He's like Mike Hoffman in that regard, but with wrist shots instead of one-timers.

I like the review, but the "kid" is 23 already, so I'm not sure the term quite fits. He'll be 24 before next season starts.

Not complaining about the signing though, we need more skill on the RW in the system.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He's an American, so it's not like he's a local. It's possible that we just had more opportunities to see the kid because he played locally. I doubt we signed the kid because we thought that fans would identify more with him because he spent two winters in Carleton Place (of all places, haha).

Sturtz is exactly the kind of NCAA free agent we should be targeting - he was off everyone's radar because of non-skill issues. He's got skill oozing out of every orifice. He was dedicated to playing NCAA at an early age, which is why he played Junior B. He's also kind of a super-religious dude, and that has sometimes scared teams off before (Rocco Grimaldi comes to mind).

Sturtz was part of Pittsburg's development camp this year, and turned heads in that organization. He's a Hobey Baker candidate for Penn State this year. I love the way the kid plays - relentless, always a puck-hound, and a natural goal scorer. Kid's got a pro shot already - a deadly accurate hard wrister that he can get off from anywhere, with almost no set-up time needed. He's like Mike Hoffman in that regard, but with wrist shots instead of one-timers.

I really like this signing. He was one of the better NCAA guys available. I'm looking forward to seeing him in Dev camp already.
can he skate

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Found this quote on the pens board:

Guerin on Sturtz : “I haven’t seen too many kids play the game harder than him at the college level.”

Reactions: Hands of Stone

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
can he skate

He's not like Pavel Bure 2.0, but his skating is probably somewhat above average. The thing about his skating is that while he's not going to confuse anyone with Dzingel-like speed, he's very difficult to knock off the puck. He's a good skater in the sense that all of his motions are efficient, and he uses his feet well.

Honestly, if there's an NHL player he reminds me of, it's Travis Konecny. Obviously not in skill, just saying that playing styles are similar.

I enjoy watching NCAA games, though Penn State is kind of a garbage team so I've only probably seen about a half dozen full games, but Sturtz is a guy you notice every time he's on the ice... and the real tell for him is that you notice when he's NOT on the ice, either. When he's on the ice, he controls the flow of the game for Penn completely, he's always a threat. When he's not on the ice, you wonder why Penn State look like a tire-fire out there, and then you're like "oh yeah, Sturtz isn't on the ice".

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hockey DB has him listed at 6' tall, but everywhere else I can find, including the pens dev camp roster, has him at 5'8... any chance he sprouted 4 inches between Jul 2017 to present at 22-23 years old...

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
In case you guys ever want to watch NCAA hockey games for free: Here is r/collegehockey's streaming guide (this link is for the 2017-18 season, which is pretty much over at this point, but there should be an update next year)

Lots of free content being put out directly by the schools themselves. Some schools are better at making games avail for free than others (Northeastern and RPI are examples of the best, as they basically have all their games free), but it's a good start if you're just getting into NCAA hockey.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
More ammo for Bingo is always a good thing, if he can be a player good stuff, if he can't then no harm done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad