Rumor: Sens rumor Heard on "The Power Play" with Steve Kouleas

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Actually until Lafreniere plays a single NHL game and shows what he can do, then it is more like Brady >>> Laf.

Skill wise Lafreniere has Brady beat by a mile, but turning junior success into NHL success is not always a guarantee.

With that said I think Lafreniere's game will translate well to the NHL, but I am a big Brady homer so take my opinion on this matter with a grain of salt.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
You may be pointing at me and thats fine.

If I was starting a franchise I'd pick Laf over Brady every time.

But we know the Sens aren't a properly run organization its a business.

On one hand moving Brady for Laf punts the large financial commitment 3 years down the road.

On the other hand, Melnyk needs to do whatever it takes to win back this fan base and thats keeping Brady. Trading him only angers the fan base even more.

Please dont let my thoughts on what Melnyk should do make you question if I have Brady over Laf.

I dont. Lafreniere > Brady

I didn’t mean to single you out, I just noticed some attention regarding Tkachuk over Lafreniere.

I disagree that Senators fans would be upset over losing Tkachuk for Lafreniere. Senators fans have been conditioned to not expect anyone to stick around for very long, and bringing in an elite, first overall French Canadian would probably do more for the popularity of the team than Tkachuk could, in my opinion.

Again, I am a huge Tkachuk fan, and can’t wait to see him perform in big games.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I mean if its on the table 1 for 1 you take it but there is no chance it is. Secondly I agree the Sens need Tkachuk for the leadership and culture that he brings to the table. Especially with how young this group is going to be. Unless there is an insane over pay you dont move him. The Sens need Tkachuk to drag players into the fight.

Bottom line is the Sens arent getting Lafreniere that ship sailed on the lottery night. We got our top 3 and 5 picks. The player they draft in either of those spots has the potential to be the best in the draft. Make the picks stay the course, accumulate assets that dont have to be protected in expansion then leverage them like Vegas did. Use the asset management to boost the Sens next season when teams will have no choice to unload players in the risk of losing them for nothing. Specifically targeting a goalie if Hog doesnt show he is the guy. The flat cap, expansion and the Sens fire sale, have all luckily come together at the same time. We will see if management can take advantage. If they do then maybe PD deserves to keep his job if there is new ownership. This will truly tell us what type of GM he is, its an unprecedented opportunity.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
On one hand moving Brady for Laf punts the large financial commitment 3 years down the road.

On the other hand, Melnyk needs to do whatever it takes to win back this fan base and thats keeping Brady. Trading him only angers the fan base even more.

As a member of the fan base, I would be ecstatic and give Dorion the finger-guns for pulling off a 1 for 1 trade for one of the top forward prospects over the last decade.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
As a member of the fan base, I would be ecstatic and give Dorion the finger-guns for pulling off a 1 for 1 trade for one of the top forward prospects over the last decade.

Drafting a french canadian star winger 1st overall would be a PR boon not seen in this market since... [checks notes...] some dude in a nurse's outfit.

Ok, I'll let myself out...

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Bert says it. Either 3 or 5 could possibly become best player in the draft. Stay the course and Draft both.
Its a deep draft and two Top 5 will make an impact. There will also be so good quality (D?) at 28 and 33 still available. Puck-Moving D will go earlier than the Stay-at-home, which is what we are really looking for to partner with Chabot. It all works if Dorion stays the course and doesn't get romanced by another GM.
The one trade I'd think about is the Sergachev out of Tampa. That might cost a good prospect and 28. IF he extended I'd be good with that. If not, draft 28.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Bert says it. Either 3 or 5 could possibly become best player in the draft. Stay the course and Draft both.
Its a deep draft and two Top 5 will make an impact. There will also be so good quality (D?) at 28 and 33 still available. Puck-Moving D will go earlier than the Stay-at-home, which is what we are really looking for to partner with Chabot. It all works if Dorion stays the course and doesn't get romanced by another GM.
The one trade I'd think about is the Sergachev out of Tampa. That might cost a good prospect and 28. IF he extended I'd be good with that. If not, draft 28.
Id do Brannstrom and 28th overall in a heartbeat for Sergachev, id add 33 too. He is a legit top pair D man, only going to get better. I dont really see any circumstance where he is the player moved for Tampa. It would have to be 5 + id imagine to get it done, id also consider that TBH.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Id do Brannstrom and 28th overall in a heartbeat for Sergachev, id add 33 too. He is a legit top pair D man, only going to get better. I dont really see any circumstance where he is the player moved for Tampa. It would have to be 5 + id imagine to get it done, id also consider that TBH.
I agree with this for sure except the part of moving #5. The 3 year ELC for high end picks who are immediately productive is undervalued by fans IMO. The Bolts won’t be moving Sergachev IMO. Killorn and one of the NTC guys will go first.

Reactions: NB613 and NyQuil

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Jimmy Hayes cousin of Tkachuk have hearing , NY first for Tkachuk + 3 oa. If Rangers put DeAngelo in the deal I do it

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Jimmy Hayes cousin of Tkachuk have hearing , NY first for Tkachuk + 3 oa. If Rangers put DeAngelo in the deal I do it

3rd ov can be just as good as Laf, Tkachuk on top of that? Big nope form me. I don’t do it. If Tkachuk is in the deal it’s the Isles pick coming back. Fair value? Nope. But we have no reason to trade for the 1st ov. They aren’t in the driver seat of this trade.
DA is great, but not worth The difference. Plus he’s already on the block. We don’t need to help them out

Reactions: SensFactor

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
We have to keep Tkachuk. He will be a 30+ goal scorer for a lot of year. Also, he is one of those rare player that never gives up and have a big drive to win.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I doubt Laf has better career than Byfield, Stutzle, and Raymond. Id take my chances that 3 and/or 5OA may have a similar carrier.

Reactions: Tuna99

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
But for Melnyk a big contract with signing bonus or Laf for helping to grow offer for a potential sale

Reactions: Silencio

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
When Dorion said yesterday the Tkachuk contract is complicated , I know the rumor was true

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I understood from Dorion’s interview that he thinks the top 3 have franchise forward potential.

I don’t think it would make sense to trade one potential franchise forward for another potential franchise forward with slightly higher chances of success if the additional cost is a surefire first line winger, fan favourite and cornerstone of a leadership core.

It’s also unclear to me how Jimmy Hayes, Tkachuk’s cousin or not, would have inside information on trade negotiations.

I could be wrong but it looks to me like New York is trying to pump up the interest in a trade.

No. First of all, Lafreniere for Tkachuk would be dumb for the Rangers. Lafrienere for Tkachuk and the 3rd would be dumb for Ottawa.

I agree. Tkachuk + 3 would be too rich for my blood.

I don’t even buy the marketing angle. Sure Lafreniere has the potential to be extremely marketable in Ottawa as a potential francophone superstar, but we already know that Tkachuk is incredibly marketable, add a Byfield or Stutzle? Winning is pretty freaking marketable.

Last edited:

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I don't believe any of these rumors.

But if Tkachuk really is on the table, for any trade, it means we don't think we can sign him after his ELC. And if that's the case, Lafreniere or not, this franchise will be in the toilet for the forseeable future.

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
If 3rd OA is being included, no way I'd give up any more than 28th OA to move up those two spots. The top 3 are all fairly similar in terms of potential

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad