OT: Sens nostalgia trippin'

Melgene Eunyk

Mar 29, 2015
The Ray Emery tribute last night had me reminiscing of the old sens teams. We came so close with the loaded teams of the mid-2000s, and while it may feel like a missed opportunity, I'll never forget those teams or the hysteria surrounding those runs.

I also think that people should remember that despite the turmoil that's been surrounding the team for the past year, we can all unite in our love for the sens.

Not sure if this will gain any traction, but if anyone wants to nostalgia trip, maybe we can do it here together.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
The year I started watching hockey and fell in love with the Senators. Too bad we couldn't finish it off against the Ducks. Still lucky to have had a few Playoff teams who've captured that same feeling since then.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I just wish we got to see the Sens in 2004-05. Basically would have been the same team as 05-06, but hey, that season was ridiculously fun.

Melgene Eunyk

Mar 29, 2015
The year I started watching hockey and fell in love with the Senators. Too bad we couldn't finish it off against the Ducks. Still lucky to have had a few Playoff teams who've captured that same feeling since then.
Me too, man. And in the end that's what it's all about. Winning the cup is the dream, but as incredible as that would be, we have to enjoy the little things.

People lose perspective not only in sports, but in life. We are so lucky to have all of these fond memories, and with the boys we have coming up I can see more on the horizon.

Lets enjoy the ride!

Reactions: Daffy

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I remember going to the first ever Senators home game... not the "Maybe Rome Was Built In A Day" home opener against Montreal, but the first ever home PRESEASON game against the Washington Capitals. Ended up losing by a goal IIRC. Civic Centre was packed to the gills, atmosphere was unreal. It felt like a playoff game despite it being a meaningless preseason tilt.

I'm also pretty sure that was the beginning of the "Capital Cup" which was a home-and-home 2-game preseason series against Washington between the two nation's capitals. They'd present the winning team with this decently-sized cup/bowl/trophy that neither team cared about at all, lol.

toivy

Nov 15, 2008
Ottawa
Oh man...nostalgia...I remember watching the first ever playoff series against Buffalo back in '97, then the first ever playoff series win against Marty Brodeur's Devils in '98, the hell we went through trying to take down the Leafs in a seven game series over five years, but the best season of all was the '02-'03 season. In my books, that's the closest this team has ever been to winning the Cup, regardless of the fact that they lost to the Devils in game 7 of the conference finals. I still shudder thinking of the shot flipped on net that Friesen buried...man, we'd have smoked the Ducks in the Cup finals with the way that team played...

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Oh man...nostalgia...I remember watching the first ever playoff series against Buffalo back in '97, then the first ever playoff series win against Marty Brodeur's Devils in '98, the hell we went through trying to take down the Leafs in a seven game series over five years, but the best season of all was the '02-'03 season. In my books, that's the closest this team has ever been to winning the Cup, regardless of the fact that they lost to the Devils in game 7 of the conference finals. I still shudder thinking of the shot flipped on net that Friesen buried...man, we'd have smoked the Ducks in the Cup finals with the way that team played...

I was in 7th grade watching the Ottawa Buffalo series in our rec room wearing my Tugnutt jersey and just sat there staring at the TV so upset when that puck went off Tugnutts glove. That series is still painful. effing Derek Plante.

That 03 series vs the Devils I drove from school to Ottawa to go to the playoff game, 8.5 hours, watched the game live (we lost 4-1 but Bonk scored!) and then drove home at 7am the next morning. That was kinda crazy.

Reactions: toivy

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
One of my most vivid old memories. Marian Hossa going flying over Belfour and putting the puck in the net in game 1 of the playoffs.

That's probably the exact moment I became a die hard fan.

Last edited:

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I can't remember what game or year it was and I haven't seen it in a long time, but I was in the building when Hossa took a lap around the offensive zone and then scored.

I wish there was more footage of old Sens games.

Reactions: robsenz

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I can't remember what game or year it was and I haven't seen it in a long time, but I was in the building when Hossa took a lap around the offensive zone and then scored.

Philly in the playoffs?

toivy

Nov 15, 2008
Ottawa

I remember that happening on several occasions. Such puck possession powers ☺️

IpsoPostFacto

No opinions, just reactions
Dec 17, 2017
the 2007 run was pretty near the end of me; was at all the home games, so $$$ and then on Elgin for all the away games which somehow was $$$$$

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012

Game 1 of round 2 vs Philly in 03

Reactions: coladin

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I was at game 4 vs the Habs in 2013. Amazing game, even if it was overshadowed by the beatdown we gave them the game before. My fav sens game to date.

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
I remember Hasek killing us in 1997 the first year I lived in Ottawa Valley and became a fan. Dominator was literally unbeatable- most dominating performance I've ever seen.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm also pretty sure that was the beginning of the "Capital Cup" which was a home-and-home 2-game preseason series against Washington between the two nation's capitals. They'd present the winning team with this decently-sized cup/bowl/trophy that neither team cared about at all, lol.

I was at a Capital Cup game.

There was a Senator who really impressed me with his skill and creativity.

"Who the hell is THAT guy?", I asked my brother.

A few months later, he was traded to the St. Louis Blues for Christer Olsson.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Me too, man. And in the end that's what it's all about. Winning the cup is the dream, but as incredible as that would be, we have to enjoy the little things.

People lose perspective not only in sports, but in life. We are so lucky to have all of these fond memories, and with the boys we have coming up I can see more on the horizon.

Lets enjoy the ride!

Thats just it, one team wins the cup every year. In a league with soon to be 32 teams, there are going generations of fans for many teams that never get to see their team win a championship.

While winning it all is always the goal, if thats the only reason you're watching, you're in for more hurt than is worth it.

I just enjoy it. Honeslty being a Sens fan for the past 10 or so years has been pretty awesome. A run to the cup finals, a cinderella conference finals run, beating the Habs in the playoffs, the Pageau Chant .. . and that Hamburgler run might just top it all. It was playoff hockey for months for the Senators.

Shit like that makes it worthwhile for me to be a fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad