News Article: Sens may play two NHL games against the Avs in Sweden next season(Confirmed Post #28)

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Yeah, Anselmi mention this and they were talking about it on the radio yesterday. I don't get it... why pack up in the middle of the season to go play 2 regular season games in Sweden? Makes no sense to me. If you really want some regular games over there, why not have Colorado and Ottawa start their seasons there like the NHL has done in the past?

What's the agenda here, too... why? Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Sweden, but it's not like you're trying to grow the game there. If it were somewhere like the UK or China where you feel there's potential for the game to grow, I'd at least get why you're doing it. As it is, I just don't understand... It's not like Ottawa and Colorado are two showcase franchises at the moment, either.

And about Colorado... I mean Landeskog is good, but there's plenty of better Swedish stars if you're looking to showcase stars in their home countries, if that's the reason. Why not have Washington and Pittsburgh play a game in Russia?

None of this makes any sense to me. I assume it has to do with $$$? Maybe it's Colorado and Ottawa sending a subtle message about attendance to their fans???

TedLundy

Dec 2, 2014
I heard something about Ottawa playing Frolunda as well, or at least might do. Like in 2008. But this time Karlsson get to face Frolunda and not Alfredsson.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Yeah, Anselmi mention this and they were talking about it on the radio yesterday. I don't get it... why pack up in the middle of the season to go play 2 regular season games in Sweden? Makes no sense to me. If you really want some regular games over there, why not have Colorado and Ottawa start their seasons there like the NHL has done in the past?

What's the agenda here, too... why? Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Sweden, but it's not like you're trying to grow the game there. If it were somewhere like the UK or China where you feel there's potential for the game to grow, I'd at least get why you're doing it. As it is, I just don't understand... It's not like Ottawa and Colorado are two showcase franchises at the moment, either.

And about Colorado... I mean Landeskog is good, but there's plenty of better Swedish stars if you're looking to showcase stars in their home countries, if that's the reason. Why not have Washington and Pittsburgh play a game in Russia?

None of this makes any sense to me. I assume it has to do with $$$? Maybe it's Colorado and Ottawa sending a subtle message about attendance to their fans???

You don't do this to send a message to fans example the Raptors played in the UK last jan as for why Ottawa-Colorado likely because they ahd interest from etams wanting to go.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
You don't do this to send a message to fans example the Raptors played in the UK last jan as for why Ottawa-Colorado likely because they ahd interest from etams wanting to go.

Haha, I was joking about that. Clearly the teams are interested, I just don't understand why.

After thinking about it a little, perhaps Ottawa rather than the NHL sees an opportunity to expand its fanbase. Not a lot of room to grow hockey in general there, but the Senators could sure try to make some lifelong Swedish Sens fans by showcasing the best Swedish player. Not so sure about Colorado.

edit: Still don't understand why it would be mid-season rather than at the start... seems like a big disruption - especially for a potential olympic year (please please please)

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Haha, I was joking about that. Clearly the teams are interested, I just don't understand why.

After thinking about it a little, perhaps Ottawa rather than the NHL sees an opportunity to expand its fanbase. Not a lot of room to grow hockey in general there, but the Senators could sure try to make some lifelong Swedish Sens fans by showcasing the best Swedish player. Not so sure about Colorado.

Colorado is odd to me I don't get why there going but Ottawa does have deep connections to Sweden.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Imo, it should be Detroit instead of Colorado being that Detroit also has connections to Sweden as well i believe.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
If they think it's economically viable, why not? Two games is really surprising though.

Colorado is odd to me I don't get why there going but Ottawa does have deep connections to Sweden.

Forsberg that they got from the Lindros trade when the team was in Quebec City. Their captain is Landeskog, right? So there's that. Two Swedish captains playing each other.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Don't think ottawa should get to go. They almost threw away all their swedish players. Give it to a team with heavy amount of Swedish players it will be more special for them and the fans in Sweden.

Last edited:

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Don't think ottawa should get to go. They almost through away all their swedish players. Give it to a team with heavy amount of Swedish players it will be more special for them and the fans in Sweden.

Ottawa has what 6 Swedish player son the team and in the system.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Ottawa has what 6 Swedish player son the team and in the system.

Claessan, Karlsson, Englund, Hogberg, Dalhen, Ahl

Before we had.

Karlsson, Zibby, Petersson, Lehner, Claessen, Silfverberg, Alfredsson

pretty similar amount

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Claessan, Karlsson, Englund, Hogberg, Dalhen, Ahl

Before we had.

Karlsson, Zibby, Petersson, Lehner, Claessen, Silfverberg, Alfredsson

pretty similar amount
Karlsson is the only lock as a swede to actually play those games against Colorado though.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Pretty dumb to do in the middle of the season. The time differential and all that. Not to mention, having to condense the rest of the schedule a bit while other teams in the division wouldn't have to. Automatic disadvantage to Ottawa.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Pretty dumb to do in the middle of the season. The time differential and all that. Not to mention, having to condense the rest of the schedule a bit while other teams in the division wouldn't have to. Automatic disadvantage to Ottawa.
It must be worth the $$$ for the Sens to be willing to do this.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
One night sailing for me from Estonia. Going to both games. Let this happen. Or i could never see my only followed team playing live.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Watched Frölunda with Erik Karlsson on the team play the Senators live back in 08. Would be cool to see Rasmus Dahlin play a game against Karlsson next season.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Don't think ottawa should get to go. They almost threw away all their swedish players. Give it to a team with heavy amount of Swedish players it will be more special for them and the fans in Sweden.

Looool, can't pass up an opportunity to beat that drum of yours! One day you're going to have to let go of all this bitterness or it's going to eat you alive.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
Midseason games is much better from fan perspective. We can see AAA game from both teams. Points are much more important than in first 2 games of the season. Was at Bos-Yottes Prague games and LA-Buffalo Berlin games. Amazing feeling, but you clearly see rostiness in teams.
By the way, almost always one of the teams played regular season games in Europe wins Cup in same season.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Agreed with karpsilk. Later games have more importance. It's kinda showing the fans there more respect too.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Doesn't every NHL team have at least one or more Swedes on their roster?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->