News Article: Sens' MacArthur fails camp medical

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Who has said this?

TSN says he is on LTIR.

Is Sensshot considered a major blog? That's some busch league writing.

"Although nothing has been made official, yet it seems like this is the end for MacArthur. His cap hit has reportedly been removed from the Sens payroll."

He later says he is unsure about whether it is through retirement or LTIR, but LTIR doesn't "remove" a cap hit, and who is "reporting" that his cap hit might be removed? Just seems like bad journalism.
Not claiming its a great source or it even says anything definitive... its just more noise around what could be happening

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Dorion was interviewed today and talked about MacArthur but never mentioned him retiring and/or coming off the books

Interesting. I just saw this as well:

Doesn't contradict what you said or anything. Maybe it's not official just yet? Dorion tends to be quiet about contract transactions before they're official.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
There is no contradiction

We are saying he’s likely not playing again.....that doesn’t mean retiring and giving up 13 million US and coming off the books,

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Interesting. The following seems to contradict that...

...but who knows. I ain't callin' you no liar. Just posting whatever I see on the situation.

I listened to the interview. Dorion: Colin White is still adjusting to professional hockey listen near the end around 26 minute mark to the end.
He was asked is it possible MacArthur comes back at some point. He said he doubts it. He said if he wants to come back next year and try , they would look at it.
My point in the post you quoted is... If MacArthur was retiring he would have said something about retiring no? To me there is a difference between .. IR / LTIR and retiring. Retiring would mean he is gone off the books completely.. If that was happening .. I think Dorion would know and he would say that

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Sucky thing about Mac not retiring is that the Sens aren't totally free to use his cap hit (until the last year of his contract) because if we e.g. sign Duchene and Brassard, using his LTIR cap relief, and he comesback the next season, we're going to running a 4.75 million surplus. And count me in as someone who doesn't believe Mac will officially retire because insurance isn't going to allow that and pay him, and he's not going to leave all that money on the board. We're not talking 1million pre tax here.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Sucky thing about Mac not retiring is that the Sens aren't totally free to use his cap hit (until the last year of his contract) because if we e.g. sign Duchene and Brassard, using his LTIR cap relief, and he comesback the next season, we're going to running a 4.75 million surplus. And count me in as someone who doesn't believe Mac will officially retire because insurance isn't going to allow that and pay him, and he's not going to leave all that money on the board. We're not talking 1million pre tax here.

He's not going to come back.

I know Dorion said that if Mac wants to come try at camp next year, things would be open, but there's no way this isn't an open and shut case. This is the same GM who pokerfaced Bob McKenzie about Mac's status a week before he failed his test when Mac most likely failed a post season physical.

Mac passed his baseline prior to returning, and then must have failed a physical after the playoffs. We know he was hurt in the Rangers series. With this all being put out there now, I'd guess this is as open and shut as it gets. Mac is basically in Pronger/Savard/Horton type territory where he is "retired" but still considered an active player contract, and simply has to go and fail his physical every year so he can collect his cheque.

For the Sens, his actual cap hit won't be much of a factor unless something changes and we're no longer a budget team. It's all about how much actual money we're responsible to cover for his contract, which might be just shy of 1M if the rumoured 80 percent insured amount is true. I'm not even sure if he is on LTIR right now as TSN reported since Capfriendly has not updated our roster to reflect that. We also haven't exceeded the cap, so putting a player on LTIR when we have not exceeded the cap serves zero purpose so I would not be surprised if that was a typo or a mistake on TSN's part and they meant that Mac is on regular IR as he has been for the entire season.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Why did I get an update on my phone about this? This was determined several months ago no? Did something change?

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I am happy/hopeful that Clarke is able to go out on his own terms (somewhat) and I hope his health is intact. I think the Sens handled this well, he did not pass teh baseline tests, he didn't play. They put his health above their interests on the ice. I think that angle deserved more attention.

I also find it interesting that he is on LTIR. I can only think of two reasons for that. 1. we think we may need the cap space or 2. it was a clause/techicality in the terms of the insurance contract. #2 may be the most probable answer, but interesting nonetheless

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
I am happy/hopeful that Clarke is able to go out on his own terms (somewhat) and I hope his health is intact. I think the Sens handled this well, he did not pass teh baseline tests, he didn't play. They put his health above their interests on the ice. I think that angle deserved more attention.

I also find it interesting that he is on LTIR. I can only think of two reasons for that. 1. we think we may need the cap space or 2. it was a clause/techicality in the terms of the insurance contract. #2 may be the most probable answer, but interesting nonetheless

This is the only thing that makes sense, but at the same time I've never heard of this before. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I think it's equally as likely that TSN made a mistake and he wasn't actually placed on LTIR but instead remained on IR.

I'm not a cap expert, so I don't know all the ins and outs of LTIR as it relates to things like performance bonuses, but at it's most basic function it makes no sense to put a player on LTIR when the team has not yet exceeded the cap.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Why did I get an update on my phone about this? This was determined several months ago no? Did something change?

Because Dorion was asked about MacArthur in a TSN 1200 interview and went on record that as of now he isn't coming back. He sort of left it open ended, as in saying something like "well if he wants to come back next year and try we can do that", but the interpretation I got from it is that Dorion basically announced MacArthur is LTIRetired along Pronger/Savard .

I don't know how House of Cards hockey media gets with leaks and planting stuff, so it's possible this was just a random question and it's the first time Dorion has really been asked point blank, but the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if Dorion asked them to put in that question so that he could prepare people for Mac being traded. Seems like stuff sometimes gets leaked to Garrioch. If they are gonna dump Mac's contract on ARZ or something, they wouldn't want people thinking they are trading a guy who is battling to come back, as it would look bad. They'd want people to know that Mac is done for good, and his contract is just a formality at this point.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
There is no contradiction

We are saying he’s likely not playing again.....that doesn’t mean retiring and giving up 13 million US and coming off the books,
Andy Sutton said the same thing to me when were playing hockey in an old timers league. ( I am not old, they just needed a goalie and he was friends with one of the regulars) He said he knew he wasn't going to play another game in the NHL, but if he retired he would have walked away from the money.

Reactions: Cosmix

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Because Dorion was asked about MacArthur in a TSN 1200 interview and went on record that as of now he isn't coming back. He sort of left it open ended, as in saying something like "well if he wants to come back next year and try we can do that", but the interpretation I got from it is that Dorion basically announced MacArthur is LTIRetired along Pronger/Savard .

I don't know how House of Cards hockey media gets with leaks and planting stuff, so it's possible this was just a random question and it's the first time Dorion has really been asked point blank, but the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if Dorion asked them to put in that question so that he could prepare people for Mac being traded. Seems like stuff sometimes gets leaked to Garrioch. If they are gonna dump Mac's contract on ARZ or something, they wouldn't want people thinking they are trading a guy who is battling to come back, as it would look bad. They'd want people to know that Mac is done for good, and his contract is just a formality at this point.

Didn't he clear and play up to game 7 last year? Wonder what changed in the offseason and in camp

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Man this forward group would be good with a prime MacArthur...

Hoffman-Duchene-Ryan
MacArthur-Brassard-Stone
Smith-Pageau-Dzingel
Burrows-Thompson-Pyatt
DiDomenico

First call up : White

Yup he is done. Time to try and move that contract

Why move the contract? I have no idea what it would achieve... he's going to be placed on LTIR IF NEEDED and 80% of his contract seems to be insured so if the Sens want to save that 930 000$ per year, yeah they'd have to give away another pick or prospect...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->