News Article: Sens' MacArthur fails camp medical

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
And you know this from what source?
It was reported and confirmed by TSN 1200 that his house was up for sale before camp started, and that his wife and kids, who usually came to Ottawa to start the school year, were back in Rochester, NY where he makes his home base.

It is also worth noting that in the week before camp, Pierre Dorion was being strangely non-committal about Grizz's status. Bob Mackenzie was also on TSN that week, basically questioning whether Grizz would pass his physical. I don't think it takes a genius to put it all together - symptoms had returned and persisted, and both the player and the team knew that it was over. Dorion leaked the news to Bob Mackenzie, who then leaked it on TSN to prep fans for what was coming. Add to this the fact that Grizz has yet to speak to the media (likely on the advice of his agent) and it's a pretty good bet that he's done with hockey. Obviously we all wish it wasn't the case, but we need to accept reality.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
Dorion on the radio today was asked about MacArthur. In response to if he'd be back this year Dorion said ' Oh, I doubt that.'

Says he'd be welcome to try to join them next year but seemed to dismiss the idea for the most part. Says health and family are important, and that he's down in Florida now. ( paraphrasing obviously )

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Dorion on the radio today was asked about MacArthur. In response to if he'd be back this year Dorion said ' Oh, I doubt that.'

Says he'd be welcome to try to join them next year but seemed to dismiss the idea for the most part. Says health and family are important, and that he's down in Florida now. ( paraphrasing obviously )

All the best to him. Not the way anybody should have to end a career, but I definitely have nothing but respect for the way he's handled it none the less. Dude was a warrior, and I hope he enjoys like with his family.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I'm assuming their keeping quiet for money reasons if that makes any sense?

If he says he's given up trying to come back and is "retiring" doesn't he lose out on money?

Doesn't he have to give the illusion of trying to make a comeback every year to keep earning his paycheck?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm assuming their keeping quiet for money reasons if that makes any sense?

If he says he's given up trying to come back and is "retiring" doesn't he lose out on money?

Doesn't he have to give the illusion of trying to make a comeback every year to keep earning his paycheck?
Presumably, he just needs to continue to have medical reasons for not doing so. If he has a condition that won't get better without surgery, and the surgery has risks associated with it that make it a judgement call as to whether or not it's worthwhile, I'd assume not getting the surgery would be enough to warrant continuing to get paid.

I suppose they could give him a periodic medical to confirm he's still not cleared for contact.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Nice to get some confirmation on that. I think we all knew but the silence left a very small amount of uncertainty around his plans.

Last edited:

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Was there an additional injury sustained in the playoffs? I don't understand how he came back and cleared last playoff season but failed this time around for the regular season.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
Was there an additional injury sustained in the playoffs? I don't understand how he came back and cleared last playoff season but failed this time around for the regular season.
He took a few big hits in the playoffs that had me holding my breath. It wouldn't surprise me if one of them did it.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
He took a few big hits in the playoffs that had me holding my breath. It wouldn't surprise me if one of them did it.

No doubt, just can't remember it being stated officially anywhere and I thought he played game 7 no?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
He was pulled out of game 2 against the Rangers. They said it was a pinched nerve in the neck, but who knows...

Either way, wouldn't surprise me if he wanted just one last shot at the playoffs last year, knowing it was risky, and packing it in after that. Nobody in the organization seemed super surprised when he failed his medical. Also, Karlsson's "I hope you're healthy" comment to Crosby in the handshake line may have been him drawing parallels with MacArthur, knowing Mac was skating on thin ice.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Thanks for everything you did for us, Clarke.

You gave the game as much as you could. No shame in bowing out gracefully before the game takes something from you that you're not prepared to lose.

Reactions: Blarginator
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
People are saying this is a real retirement and not a LTIR retirement. If that's true, he's giving up $12million, and doing the team (and Melnyk's pocketbook) a real solid.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
People are saying this is a real retirement and not a LTIR retirement. If that's true, he's giving up $12million, and doing the team (and Melnyk's pocketbook) a real solid.

I'm pretty sure it's an ltir untill the contract expires no one is gonna throw that cash away

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Hard to believe he would walk away from that kind of money. These guys switch cities over a mil or two difference, I cant see him giving so much money back out of the goodness of his heart, nor should he considering hockey is whats led to the issues.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Yeah I find that hard to believe.

LTIR is most likely. Total cap relief while the team only pays about 1 mil a year in salary (80% insured).

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

Surprised I hadn't seen this posted here. Simpson also says that his cap hit is off the books (in his replies).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dorion was interviewed today and talked about MacArthur but never mentioned him retiring and/or coming off the books

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Was he specifically asked?
It was discussed. Dorion said MacArthur would not be back this year and was not as certain for next year. My point is if MacArthur was officially retiring ,, Dorion would like have had a clue

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You don’t retire and give up 13 million bucks. Plus Dorion never said that, he said I guess it’s possible next year he could play, but not likely, and he would have to do a medical again next September.

I Read simmers tweets and saw nothing on his salary coming off the books or retiring.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
You don’t retire and give up 13 million bucks. Plus Dorion never said that, he said I guess it’s possible next year he could play, but not likely, and he would have to do a medical again next September.
I said he was not as certain ... I am saying Dorion was not as certain when he spoke about next year ... :laugh: :shakehead

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Who has said this?

TSN says he is on LTIR.

What people? Edit: ok I've sort of caught up... I found this link Ottawa Senators: Clarke MacArthur Rumoured To Retire are there any others with additional info?

Is Sensshot considered a major blog? That's some busch league writing.

"Although nothing has been made official, yet it seems like this is the end for MacArthur. His cap hit has reportedly been removed from the Sens payroll."

He later says he is unsure about whether it is through retirement or LTIR, but LTIR doesn't "remove" a cap hit, and who is "reporting" that his cap hit might be removed? Just seems like bad journalism.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad