OT: Sens Lounge XCX: Posted to the limit, one more time edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Funny how those same folks looked the other way numerous times when it came to Alberta oil jobs. Now when it's jobs in the eastern part of the country, the standards are suddenly different.

*sigh* that's humanity for ya.

Most of SNC employees work outside of Québec.

The reason people feel this strongly is because the PM tried to interfere and got caught.

I don't really have an issue with the attempted interference, that's how politics work. Now, we need to have a discussion about what we want going forward: do we truly want an fully and protected independent AG or do we prioritze flexibility?

There is no wrong answer here. We just have to have the talk.

Reactions: coladin and Smash88

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yep. Can't really get into as it's politics, but it's hilarious to me that people are up in arms about this whole SNC thing. This stuff happens all the time, it's just that usually the AG doesn't go against the cabinet's wishes, so it never makes the news.

It's the "one-way indignation" that gets to me. The goose gets all the goodies, but heaven forbid the gander get a crumb. Seems to be going that way with everything these days.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Watched recently

Into the spiderverse 9/10
Green Book 6.5/10
Blakkklansman 8.5/10

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Funny how those same folks looked the other way numerous times when it came to Alberta oil jobs. Now when it's jobs in the eastern part of the country, the standards are suddenly different.

*sigh* that's humanity for ya.

Can you clarify or expand on this? In what way did people "look the other way" on Alberta oil jobs?

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
SNC in some ways reminds of poor old Ben Johnson. Every other nation is cheating with growth hormones but only Canada prosecutes its athlete. Im sure every other nation was bribing Libyan officials to get contracts but only Canada is expected to be boy scouts.

I dont even know the details of what was the bribe, how much was it, could they have won the bid without it, who would have won if Canada didnt? Is it naive to think we should have forgone the bribe? Should thousands of employees be punished because the c-suite at the company made bad decisions? I have no idea. But it seems these questions arent important before asking our opinions on it.

But Trudeau saying the only reason JWR changed portfolios was because of a retirement, yeah, that seems pretty unbelievable. Lame lie there Justin.

Reactions: DrEasy

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
SNC in some ways reminds of poor old Ben Johnson. Every other nation is cheating with growth hormones but only Canada prosecutes its athlete. Im sure every other nation was bribing Libyan officials to get contracts but only Canada is expected to be boy scouts.

I dont even know the details of what was the bribe, how much was it, could they have won the bid without it, who would have won if Canada didnt? Is it naive to think we should have forgone the bribe? Should thousands of employees be punished because the c-suite at the company made bad decisions? I have no idea. But it seems these questions arent important before asking our opinions on it.

But Trudeau saying the only reason JWR changed portfolios was because of a retirement, yeah, that seems pretty unbelievable. Lame lie there Justin.

Jane Philpott just resigned from Cabinet. This stuff has legs yet.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Anyone seen a movie called Arctic with Mads Mikkelsen? Just came out. Looks great.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Jane Philpott just resigned from Cabinet. This stuff has legs yet.

It has as much legs as political opportunists want to give it so it's going to keep going and going. As if any of these sycophants would have not pressured the charges to be downgraded if they were the ones in charge.

And honestly every single federal prosecutor I have ever met has been a giant ego-maniacal moron. The dumbest of the dumb in government. Maybe only outdone by RCMP cops.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

The sad thing is that we're just now discovering other massive ethical issues with unethical lobbying practices in Canada that extends WAY past Trudeau. Apparently, Harper set the standard in this country, and the backroom Facebook lobbying to be exempt from Canadia Privacy laws was the tipping point.

It's not a partisan issue - this style of pressure from the PMO office extends to both major parties... Apparently it's been a decade of this kind of backroom politics in that office. We're just starting to hear about it now.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It has as much legs as political opportunists want to give it so it's going to keep going and going. As if any of these sycophants would have not pressured the charges to be downgraded if they were the ones in charge.

And honestly every single federal prosecutor I have ever met has been a giant ego-maniacal moron. The dumbest of the dumb in government. Maybe only outdone by RCMP cops.

Agreed. People are being disingenuous if they act surprised by the fact that the PM can and has exerted pressure on members of cabinet.

The PM has a ton of power. The problem isn't the Liberals, the problem is the PM has too much power and instead of having an adult discussion about the issue we are seeing people crying that the whole thing is a "scandal" which preposterous.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
instead of having an adult discussion about the issue we are seeing people crying that the whole thing is a "scandal" which preposterous.
You must have missed the whole JWR testimony if calling this scandal a scandal is preposterous to you.

This situation fits the definition of a scandal to a near perfect tee.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
You must have missed the whole JWR testimony if calling this scandal a scandal is preposterous to you.

LOL, that testimony. Oh, ok. It's manufactured and a powerplay by a moronic lawyer. It might crush the Liberals and Trudeau but the worst outcome would be JWR emerging and getting re-elected.

Trudeau's Justice Ministers have been a string of total embarrassments including her.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
LOL, that testimony. Oh, ok. It's manufactured and a powerplay by a moronic lawyer. It might crush the Liberals and Trudeau but the worst outcome would be JWR emerging and getting re-elected.

Trudeau's Justice Ministers have been a string of total embarrassments including her.
Ok.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So guys.

I'm going to be in Taipei for 3 days in the middle of May this year. Any recommendations on things to do there?

May is within the rainy season in Taiwan (thunderstorms at leadt once per day, sometimes twice), so try to plan some indoor stuff / activities that won't get cancelled due to rain.

I only spwnt like 2 days in Taipei, but Juifen was really cool if you're willing to make a day of it.

Also, there's TONS of good hiking on the outskirts of the city if the weather permits.

Taipei 101 is very cool, but it dominates the city skyline, you won't have to go out of your way to see it.

Also, if architecture is your thing, Taipei is amazing. Lots of old buildings that have been untouched and preserved.

Reactions: Que

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I watched the whole thing live as well as Wernick's. I don't see this as a scandal because both sides, the PMO and JWR, are speaking the truth.

There is only which side you want to win: "rules should never be broken ever" and "sometimes you gotta be flexible". No right or wrong, only what should matter more.

I am fine with a criminal trial of SNC but I also think competing interests are impossible to legislate away.

Last edited:

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
I watched the whole thing live as well as Wernick's. I don't see this as a scandal because both sides, the PMO and JWR, are speaking the truth.

There is only which side you want to win: "rules should never be broken ever" and "sometimes you gotta be flexible". No right or wrong, only what should matter more.

I am fine with a criminal trial of SNC but I also think competing interests are impossible to legislate away.
We're going to have to agree to disagree.

Changing laws after the law has been broken out of fear of losing seats in an election is quite easily identified as ethically questionable, not only to me but also to members of Liberal party, as we saw today when Jane Philpott stepped down and specifically identified the PMOs interference on the AG as the reason why. The public is also relatively engaged in this topic, and therefore this situation fits the definition of a scandal.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Anyone watch the Leaving Neverland documentary? Really unsettling and tough to watch but pretty enthralling.

Reactions: coladin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad