OT: Sens Lounge XCX: Posted to the limit, one more time edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
If you're in a sedan - especially the Japanese/Korean ones... you can't drive on the side streets that haven't been plowed. You get stuck. If you're in a larger rear wheel drive vehicle you would also likely get stuck. The best I've seen is some of the larger American cruiser sedans but they're sliding all over the road and it looks extremely unsafe. A 4WD SUV can get around reasonably well but it's still going to slide a bit.

Staying home is the right move unless your job is essential or time sensitive. I brought some work home with me to do last night.

Also **** the City of Ottawa. Their residential and side street clearing has been atrocious this year. They need to understand the importance of clearing out the storm drains when it's constantly going above freezing and melting. With the storm drains blocked half the streets in my area feel like they're from war zones with how bumpy they are - and yeah, for sure some low profile sedans are going to be damaged on these streets.
Eh I have a low Korean car. You just have to be conscious of where you're going. Not be a mindless drone on the road like some people. You just gotta keep that momentum going.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Out here, the snow didn't even start until well after the school day was over. At this rate, they'll have to have kids in school until the end of July to make up for all these bus cancellations and snow days.

Bus cancellations have nothing to do with a loss of school days. This is the first day in Ottawa schools have been closed because of snow/ice since the ice storm.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Bus cancellations have nothing to do with a loss of school days. This is the first day in Ottawa schools have been closed because of snow/ice since the ice storm.

When the buses are cancelled and half the kids aren't in class, there is virtually no learning happening in the classroom.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
"half the kids" is very generous as well. Not sure if its different now or in schools right in the cities but there used to only be a handful from each grade that showed up. For highschool I doubt there's even a dozen that go.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Yep, I'm definitely starting to see why nearly everyone out here has SUVs and trucks. I got into work fine last night, but couldn't get down my street this morning to bring the car home. Had to leave it half the day at a local business and wait for my street and driveway to get plowed.

One look down my street this morning and it was a big Nope! and turned my little sedan around. Not worth trying to be a hero driving a little putt putt down one of those roads.

And Coladin definitely has a point. In the past out here, I've never had to wait past 8 or 9 am max before my road was plowed, and that was with worse storms than this. They're definitely deploying the city/township plows a lot differently nowadays.

When was the last time you heard plows past midnight ? I can’t recall and I’m a night owl. My street still isn’t done, what an effing joke. Some private contractors just did a scrape of my street. I should track him down and give him a 20.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Yep, I'm definitely starting to see why nearly everyone out here has SUVs and trucks. I got into work fine last night, but couldn't get down my street this morning to bring the car home. Had to leave it half the day at a local business and wait for my street and driveway to get plowed.

One look down my street this morning and it was a big Nope! and turned my little sedan around. Not worth trying to be a hero driving a little putt putt down one of those roads.

And Coladin definitely has a point. In the past out here, I've never had to wait past 8 or 9 am max before my road was plowed, and that was with worse storms than this. They're definitely deploying the city/township plows a lot differently nowadays.
Amalgamation says hi.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

Also put a deposit down for a Contiki tour in the summer. 46 days, many nights camping, 23 countries. Afterwards I plan on travelling a bit more in Europe and then beginning a Norwegian working holiday.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Speaking of woody harrelson.....
Just watched his lost in London movie that he wrote and directed. Filmed in one take and screened live. Pretty impressive. A great scene with Owen Wilson in the club.
Not quite as good of a movie as birdman but takes it to another level technically.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
When was the last time you heard plows past midnight ? I can’t recall and I’m a night owl. My street still isn’t done, what an effing joke. Some private contractors just did a scrape of my street. I should track him down and give him a 20.

I heard snow ploughs going last night around 0100 AM. I appreciated it, but I had an exam today at 0900 so I was a little annoyed trying to get to sleep.

Way more proactive than the last few years, though. Roads and salt have been more readily available, with huge stockpiles of salt bags sitting outside the local Safeway for purchase. Last year (or perhaps the year before, I am struggling to remember), there was such a salt shortage that people were selling bags of salt for hundreds of dollars.

I'm in nicer area of Vancouver, though, and the ploughs that were going last night were privately owned, just guys in pick-ups with a plough attachment. They may have even been volunteers, I am not sure.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
Random web browser question:

Recently I've been getting pop-ups on google searches when I click on links. The pop-up, however, disguises itself as the link I am trying to click on, and usually something like amazon or another store page opens when I click.

For example, if I search "X", and I go to click on the third result, when I click, a new tab opens redirecting me to some store page. I have to close the new tab and then re-click the link I was looking for. This can happen when searching for anything, as I rarely search for products on Google.

I have changed my adblock extension on Google Chrome, but nothing changed. This makes me think that I have some sort of malware in Google Chrome or lingering somewhere on my PC. I have AVG, and it doesn't seem to have noticed anything.

I mean, if this is a legit new strategy of Google's, I can "accept" it (i.e. I am not worried that my computer is compromised), but this doesn't sit right with me. Any tips?

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Random web browser question:

Recently I've been getting pop-ups on google searches when I click on links. The pop-up, however, disguises itself as the link I am trying to click on, and usually something like amazon or another store page opens when I click.

For example, if I search "X", and I go to click on the third result, when I click, a new tab opens redirecting me to some store page. I have to close the new tab and then re-click the link I was looking for. This can happen when searching for anything, as I rarely search for products on Google.

I have changed my adblock extension on Google Chrome, but nothing changed. This makes me think that I have some sort of malware in Google Chrome or lingering somewhere on my PC. I have AVG, and it doesn't seem to have noticed anything.

I mean, if this is a legit new strategy of Google's, I can "accept" it (i.e. I am not worried that my computer is compromised), but this doesn't sit right with me. Any tips?
Malware. What operating system are you using?
If Windows 10, run Windows Defender which is built into the OS

What browser?
Chrome or FF? Investigate your plugins and make sure there isn't any installed that shouldn't be.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
They'll work out the kinks eventually.

Strange thing to be complaining about. Maybe don't sleep with your phone under your pillow or something?

I didn't get any alerts but I am out of Province right now.

I thought I had a virus or something at first, had no idea they were doing this lol. Had to google it.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
+1 And run the Malwarebytes Anti Malware program, they keep it really up to date and it's free.
Malware. What operating system are you using?
If Windows 10, run Windows Defender which is built into the OS

What browser?
Chrome or FF? Investigate your plugins and make sure there isn't any installed that shouldn't be.

Thanks guys, it was indeed malware... I ended up using Malwarebytes, and it found 26 malware, and they were latching onto my browsers! A HOLES

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
They'll work out the kinks eventually.

Strange thing to be complaining about. Maybe don't sleep with your phone under your pillow or something?

I didn't get any alerts but I am out of Province right now.
I live in the Toronto area. We got two notifications that there was an amber alert (I'm totally fine with that). I think they didn't need to send another one saying it was cancelled though. That could have been a quiet alert as opposed to the loud alarm with a screen pop up just saying it was cancelled.

I'm not upset, I was awake anyway. I think it would have made others less upset though.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Does anyone know if the Lego movie that's out now is suitable for a 3 year old girl?

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
With all due respect:

Do not take a three year old to a movie theatre.

Just don't.

Lol I've taken my girl twice now. Once to the original Land Before Time when it was back in the theatre. She was good. Didn't seem to like the movie much though. And then a few weeks ago we saw Race Time. Problem was I took my nephew with us who is the same age. Got a little loud at times lol but could have been worse.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
That and movies made for you know, kids. :)

Yup. If I'm going to see a Lego movie I expect to see kids there. Thats why I don't go to those movies.

If I'm seeing a marvel movie or something I just go to a late show or the VIP theatre. Keep the noisy little shits away from me lol

Reactions: Variable26
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->