OT: Sens Lounge XCX: Posted to the limit, one more time edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I cant believe the amount of panic over a snow storm. Honestly.

It's not just "a snow storm".

It's potentially only the third 40+cm snow storm in the past 35 years. And on top of this, we're expecting wind gusts around 40+60km which doesn't seem like a lit but you almost never see in this kind of heavy snow (which usually falls in lower wind conditions), so it presents the possibility of total whiteout driving conditions.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

It's potentially only the third 40+cm snow storm in the past 35 years. And on top of this, we're expecting wind gusts around 40+60km which doesn't seem like a lit but you almost never see in this kind of heavy snow (which usually falls in lower wind conditions), so it presents the possibility of total whiteout driving conditions.

All of which is fine.... but.. just don't drive on a highway for 8 hours?

Also, I'm not in Ottawa. Our forecast is for 15-25cm. People are still freaking out.

We have tremendous road clearing capacity here because it's not an uncommon event.

The forecast has been locked in for a day or two. People would have had time to get some groceries and hunker down.

Once you've lived in other parts of the country (N.Ont, Territories etc) the lack of prepardness on behalf of the populace is interesting. Obviously it's out of necessity elsewhere, but it's still interesting. I like watching humanity.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Out here, the snow didn't even start until well after the school day was over. At this rate, they'll have to have kids in school until the end of July to make up for all these bus cancellations and snow days.

Reactions: The Lewler

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Man, you guys would all have a good chuckle at what can drive this town into a two day snow day from school and work out here in Vic!

Hahaha, our two ‘snow plows’ have been working overtime :)

I mean it’s full on winter wonderland with a foot or so of snow, but it has locked down the city for two days and counting... it’s beautiful, and will all be gone in a week, but still... good times.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Speaking of snow days , how have we not figured out how to do half days or school delays ? Makes no sense.
Was talking about this with some friends.

I remember as a kid we'd often have delays or early go homes, but almost never a full school closure. Past two weeks in Waterloo region they've closed the schools twice, and busses cancelled probably tomorrow to make it two bus cancellations as well.

On top of that, for some reason my daycare has a policy of closing when the schools close meaning that there's been two weeks in a row of my wife or I needing to take a day off. And I'm probably going to have to fight them tooth and nail for reimbursement.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
About to go to bed, looks like storm was fake news down here on the St Lawrence.

If i wake up to another 10-15cm maybe its justified, but all the closures seem silly .

In any case , im essential service, the only way i get out of work is if i crash or get stuck on way in.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

Not to mention a lot of side streets are still in horrible shape from last week's weather that left a lot of skating rinks around the region.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
My downstair neighbour's door to get into his place is at the end of the driveway. As I leave this morning he comes back, very pleased that work told him to stay home and he was heading there.

Between him leaving and coming back, the plow came by to clear our driveway. By clear, I mean push all the snow to the back of the driveway. He couldn't see his door anymore :laugh:

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I will admit that a large difference between my town and being in Ottawa, is that I'm not smushed into super small building lots in a townhome or subdivision, where everyone ends up throwing snow back and forth between their respective driveways. Yikes to that.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
All of which is fine.... but.. just don't drive on a highway for 8 hours?

Reasonable people have always done this.

The point of making a big deal about it is to keep the idiots from doing it.

My neighbor decided he was going to go into work today. He drives a Hinda Civic. His car has been caught on a snowbank on our as-yet-unplowed residential street for about 3 hours at this point. Still there.

So...clearly it doesn't ALWAYS work, but yeah, that's the idea. :laugh:

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

My neighbor decided he was going to go into work today. He drives a Hinda Civic. His car has been caught on a snowbank on our as-yet-unplowed residential street for about 3 hours at this point. Still there.

I remember when I lived in Philly, working at a job I hated oh so much, I was an essential employee. I started to drive to work in a huge snowstorm next to semi trucks going 60 barreling by me as I was driving my VW Jetta. I called and told them I am turning around and going home, my boss was pissed. I told him to pay me more so I could afford an essential driving vehicle. I ended up leaving that job a year later and it may have been the happiest day of my life.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It's a ghost town at work and the main roads are fine. I understand that if you live out of town getting to work might not be recommended but dear Lord! I got to work and I'm rather hungover (I was sure work would tell us to stay home....) and I made it by bus and I got to work early! It isn't that bad.

Working for the GoC has been an exercise in dealing with frustration :laugh:

"I worked OT to catch up so now that I am caught up I am calling in sick on Thursday and Friday!"
"So after catching up, you are going to allow yourself and everyone else who depends on you doing your job to fall behind again?"
"Yeah? Its my right! You should be thanking me!"

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
What I don't understand, and maybe it is the way things are done now, is how late they go out now. They should have been out last night at 9pm, then at 3 or 4am. I don't get it. I get waiting for the snow to stop, but I tell my employees to go out often and do not get overwhelmed. The City seems to be thinking solely about costs, and not safety. This storm started at 4pm, and they knew it was coming. How do they not go out last night?

Reactions: DrEasy

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
What I don't understand, and maybe it is the way things are done now, is how late they go out now. They should have been out last night at 9pm, then at 3 or 4am. I don't get it. I get waiting for the snow to stop, but I tell my employees to go out often and do not get overwhelmed. The City seems to be thinking solely about costs, and not safety. This storm started at 4pm, and they knew it was coming. How do they not go out last night?

I live in Old Hull and they were plowing around 22:00.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
At least cataclysmic climate change will give us a few of these before wiping out a good chunk of humanity

Hey look on the bright side, we're gunna be fine! Our children and grand children are the ones who are gunna be totally screwed.

Part of the reason Im never going to have kids. That way I don't have to feel attached to this downward spiraling species and can enjoy my popcorn while the planet catches fire.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Yep, I'm definitely starting to see why nearly everyone out here has SUVs and trucks. I got into work fine last night, but couldn't get down my street this morning to bring the car home. Had to leave it half the day at a local business and wait for my street and driveway to get plowed.

One look down my street this morning and it was a big Nope! and turned my little sedan around. Not worth trying to be a hero driving a little putt putt down one of those roads.

And Coladin definitely has a point. In the past out here, I've never had to wait past 8 or 9 am max before my road was plowed, and that was with worse storms than this. They're definitely deploying the city/township plows a lot differently nowadays.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
If you're in a sedan - especially the Japanese/Korean ones... you can't drive on the side streets that haven't been plowed. You get stuck. If you're in a larger rear wheel drive vehicle you would also likely get stuck. The best I've seen is some of the larger American cruiser sedans but they're sliding all over the road and it looks extremely unsafe. A 4WD SUV can get around reasonably well but it's still going to slide a bit.

Staying home is the right move unless your job is essential or time sensitive. I brought some work home with me to do last night.

Also f*** the City of Ottawa. Their residential and side street clearing has been atrocious this year. They need to understand the importance of clearing out the storm drains when it's constantly going above freezing and melting. With the storm drains blocked half the streets in my area feel like they're from war zones with how bumpy they are - and yeah, for sure some low profile sedans are going to be damaged on these streets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad