OT: Sens Lounge XCX: Posted to the limit, one more time edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
One more week of hell then 16 days off. :yo:

Well, I say hell, but next week I have 2 Christmas parties (Tuesday and Wednesday) and one potluck (Friday). Bring on the holidays!

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I don't know if it's the fumes around here but I think I have met more "I don't know if we landed on the moon", "9/11 was a conspiracy (though maybe not government)" types the past six months on a weld shop floor than I have in my thirty plus years anywhere else.

You know what though, if rather than saying 9/11 was a government false flag operation, people had made the conspiracy a corporate conspiracy (say... Blackwater and those other "security" companies and maybe some major industry like the banks or big oil), it would have been a lot more believable.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I don't know if it's the fumes around here but I think I have met more "I don't know if we landed on the moon", "9/11 was a conspiracy (though maybe not government)" types the past six months on a weld shop floor than I have in my thirty plus years anywhere else.

You know what though, if rather than saying 9/11 was a government false flag operation, people had made the conspiracy a corporate conspiracy (say... Blackwater and those other "security" companies and maybe some major industry like the banks or big oil), it would have been a lot more believable.

I will say this though about 9/11. There are a lot of FACTS that aren't public knowledge that really make you question things. Not saying which way I'm leaning but it definitely makes you think.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I will say this though about 9/11. There are a lot of FACTS that aren't public knowledge that really make you question things. Not saying which way I'm leaning but it definitely makes you think.

I mean, the US has done enough factually substantiated underhanded things over the past fifty years alone that it wouldn't somehow SHOCK me if it one day came out to be true, but the way I look at it is - Does whether or not this is the case actually affect me in any way? No, it does not. So I have no need to form an opinion on it. I will say though that I was listening to the radio for the whole event and I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that they were talking about four planes, then said jets were being sent out to interecept, then completely ceased mentioning the fourth plane at all ever again. Of course that particular fact in no way backs a government-instigated attack interpretation of things, but it is one of the many things about the event that just never sat right and these are what give rise to conspiracy theories.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
In owners that are idiots but not Melnyk news, the Cubs owner Ricketts just described himself as a slave because he has to pay money that goes to local unions.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Wow, I only posted that video about the information about a newly discovered crater and the ramifications that could come from it. The guy is annoying, but I thought one of you might see the bigger picture that there is now evidence of something that cause the great flood that wiped out a previous civilization. It throws the timeline of history off by thousands of years. Every ancient civilization around the world has a story of a great flood. If you go by the bibles time line that happened 5000+ years ago. This discovery would pre date the flood 5000 years before that. The extinction of large North American mammals around that time is better explained by a sudden event rather than over hunting.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
It never ceases to amaze how people will believe a 29 minute video but not take 5 minutes to Google things themselves.
I actually believe this because I have been curious about it for years and have searched google a lot. It doesn't matter if you take the guy seriously or not. It is up to you to take it to the next stage to find out if it is the truth or a lie. I'm just presenting something and if it is only your opinion that validates something then there really isn't much to discuss.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Ugh.

I got like 10 mins into the first video before I had to check to see if this wasn't a prank channel. That guy should just call his channel Buzzfeed: Conspiracy Edition.

All that guy does is take readily available scientific information and frame it in a "THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA HATES ME FOR UNCOVERING THESE SECRETS" ****ty narrarive.

Does it get better? Or should I assume that he's just going to keep "blowing my mind" with ordinary mundane science facts that anyone with access to Google can find within seconds?

The guy doesn't even get his facts straight. Copernicus's theory of heliocentrism was accepted by the Catholic church for something like 70 years before they denounced it for political reasons. It wasn't that "a brilliant mind was censored by the mainstream media" BS, it's that the Catholic church originally agreed with him, but they changed their stance based on the politics of trying to fight the wave of Protestantism that was taking place.

Many Catholic universities even taught heliocentrism.
Do you have anything to say about the actual crater or are you going to focus on everything else? The discovery is the whole point not the fact that this guy is preaching the his "Woke" disciples.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Wow, I only posted that video about the information about a newly discovered crater and the ramifications that could come from it. The guy is annoying, but I thought one of you might see the bigger picture that there is now evidence of something that cause the great flood that wiped out a previous civilization. It throws the timeline of history off by thousands of years. Every ancient civilization around the world has a story of a great flood. If you go by the bibles time line that happened 5000+ years ago. This discovery would pre date the flood 5000 years before that. The extinction of large North American mammals around that time is better explained by a sudden event rather than over hunting.

For what it's worth, I never watched it :) I never click on videos if I don't know what they're about ahead of time. Sounds interesting though, giving it a go now, pretty intriguing, though he could really do without the media conspiracy stuff, especially as he proceeds to post all kinds of media articles talking about the thing he's talking about...

Reactions: Stylizer1

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I mean, the US has done enough factually substantiated underhanded things over the past fifty years alone that it wouldn't somehow SHOCK me if it one day came out to be true, but the way I look at it is - Does whether or not this is the case actually affect me in any way? No, it does not. So I have no need to form an opinion on it. I will say though that I was listening to the radio for the whole event and I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that they were talking about four planes, then said jets were being sent out to interecept, then completely ceased mentioning the fourth plane at all ever again. Of course that particular fact in no way backs a government-instigated attack interpretation of things, but it is one of the many things about the event that just never sat right and these are what give rise to conspiracy theories.

Check out Zeitgeist: Loose Change. Fascinating stuff.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

It was a period of mass confusion as it’s happening. That’s the rational explanation. People get facts wrong when a catostrophic event is NOT happening, people not really knowing the amount of planes hijacked isn’t far fetched, so I’d have to say it sits perfectly fine with me.

I still think most conspiracy theorists use conspiracy theories to try and trick themselves into thinking theyre intellectually superior than others, that they are on such a higher plane of thought than these “sheep” and are like, really super smart you know? I like to one up conspiracy theory people and call their conspiracy dumb and make up an even crazier conspiracy than the one they have. Oh you think we didn’t walk on the Moon? You idiot the moon doesn’t even exist. It’s a projection!

If they had invested all that time and effort studying something important instead of babbling about conspiracy theories their time would have been better spent.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
For what it's worth, I never watched it :) I never click on videos if I don't know what they're about ahead of time. Sounds interesting though, giving it a go now, pretty intriguing, though he could really do without the media conspiracy stuff, especially as he proceeds to post all kinds of media articles talking about the thing he's talking about...
I agree. He is trying to sell himself as something to gain views. I have been to the Louvre in Paris many times but I was there last week with a different purpose. I wanted to inspect the near east antiquities section of the Museum and really look at it. It's an amazing Museum and from what they have there it isn't a crazy notion to believe that there were giants once upon a time. We have no idea what an advance civilization could have been. It is really fun to discover things.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
It was a period of mass confusion as it’s happening. That’s the rational explanation. People get facts wrong when a catostrophic event is NOT happening, people not really knowing the amount of planes hijacked isn’t far fetched, so I’d have to say it sits perfectly fine with me.

I still think most conspiracy theorists use conspiracy theories to try and trick themselves into thinking theyre intellectually superior than others, that they are on such a higher plane of thought than these “sheep” and are like, really super smart you know? I like to one up conspiracy theory people and call their conspiracy dumb and make up an even crazier conspiracy than the one they have. Oh you think we didn’t walk on the Moon? You idiot the moon doesn’t even exist. It’s a projection!

If they had invested all that time and effort studying something important instead of babbling about conspiracy theories their time would have been better spent.

Well, there WERE four planes, that's not a matter of confusion. They didn't get the number wrong, they just stopped reporting on one (the one they later said was captured by heroes who then decided to crash it into the ground).

Otherwise I more or less agree except for the fact that many conspiracy theories arise from the fact that there are many cases where governments do lie to their citizens and cover things up (many of them now no longer controversial, I dunno Iran Contra, Saddam's WMDs). Of course this fact does not make the subsequent theories true, but it does send people down those rabbit holes.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

What is the evidence that the asteroid impact and resultant flood "wiped out a previous civilization"?

I watched the video and he provides no such "evidence". He provides arguments that the Egyptian pyramids were not / could not have been built by the Egyptians, and that similar pyramids found around the globe are unlikely to have been built independently by different civilizations ... and concludes from this that there MUST have been a relatively advanced ancient global civilization which was wiped out. And he also hints that "Atlantis" was probably part of this civilization.

I have no idea whether his doubts about the Egyptian pyramids are legitimate or just silly -- it's not a topic I'm familiar with.

But the conclusion he's drawn from tying together a couple points is ridiculous.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Well, there WERE four planes, that's not a matter of confusion. They didn't get the number wrong, they just stopped reporting on one (the one they later said was captured by heroes who then decided to crash it into the ground).

Otherwise I more or less agree except for the fact that many conspiracy theories arise from the fact that there are many cases where governments do lie to their citizens and cover things up (many of them now no longer controversial, I dunno Iran Contra, Saddam's WMDs). Of course this fact does not make the subsequent theories true, but it does send people down those rabbit holes.

Sure they can lie and cover things up, but most of the conspiracy theories are these HUGE theories like the earth is flat, walking on the moon, 9/11, not little coverups. Me just thinking about the George Bush Administration being able to pull off a 9/11 coverup makes me laugh.

If someone has a theory about something, then apply the scientific method style to that theory. None of those conspiracy theories hold up with any type of evidence whatsoever. Oh and I get you're not saying these things happened as you said previously, I am just throwing my two cents at it as well.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I actually believe this because I have been curious about it for years and have searched google a lot. It doesn't matter if you take the guy seriously or not. It is up to you to take it to the next stage to find out if it is the truth or a lie. I'm just presenting something and if it is only your opinion that validates something then there really isn't much to discuss.

I know better than to believe anything someone like that is peddling.

I've spent plenty of time on alt-right forums (out of morbid curiosity), enough to know that not all rabbit holes are worthwhile.

Also, theories about the pyramids are hardly new. Been there, done that.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Disgaree.

People go down those rabbit holes because they want to be told. Researching without having a guiding voice is difficult and confusing, people who buy into silly conspiracy nonsense are essentially not willing to learn. Much easier to be told and then link to a video.

The classic authoritative argument, this isn't new, this is a problem in academia as well. However, in academia, people are aware that relying on authoritative arguments is a disguise for lack of critical thinking.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Disgaree.

People go down those rabbit holes because they want to be told. Researching without having a guiding voice is difficult and confusing, people who buy into silly conspiracy nonsense are essentially not willing to learn. Much easier to be told and then link to a video.

People like conspiracy theories because they are entertaining.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Sure they can lie and cover things up, but most of the conspiracy theories are these HUGE theories like the earth is flat, walking on the moon, 9/11, not little coverups. Me just thinking about the George Bush Administration being able to pull off a 9/11 coverup makes me laugh.

If someone has a theory about something, then apply the scientific method style to that theory. None of those conspiracy theories hold up with any type of evidence whatsoever. Oh and I get you're not saying these things happened as you said previously, I am just throwing my two cents at it as well.

I think it's partly due to the current distrust of "one percenters" but I'm starting to notice a shifting of the goalposts as I mentioned before. If you press on the whole government not capable of hiding the conspiracy angle, it becomes a corporate conspiracy or a small section of the government (ie done without the knowledge /involvement of those in the White House).

I'm actually having to go back and reread the debunking articles so I can do more than just shake my head and suggest Occams Razor as an explanation, because that apparently just makes me a sheep :P

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
People like conspiracy theories because they are entertaining.

I can be entertained by something without believing it though.

And to be fair, this whole discussion is about the veracity of the video/credibility of the author. We aren't talking about if the video is amusing.

Classic example: Bonk mostly proved that the guy in the video is not credible by establishing that he speaks on matters he knows very little about and uses that to attempt to strengthen his position. On it's own that establishes that you shouldn't take anything this guy says for granted. What was the response? "Yeah but what about the other stuff he talks about?": he wants to be TOLD, he doesn't want to THINK.

Last edited:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Speaking of the word sheep. That word really bugs me, because for some reason I always consider it a plural word and have to convince myself that sheep is also the singular form. And it legitimately bothers me when I have to use it in a singular fashion, to the point where I consider modifying my intended sentence to avoid its usage.

Anyone else find that happens with them for certain words? Like you know you're using it right, but it bothers you enough that you almost go out of your way to avoid using.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Speaking of the word sheep. That word really bugs me, because for some reason I always consider it a plural word and have to convince myself that sheep is also the singular form. And it legitimately bothers me when I have to use it in a singular fashion, to the point where I consider modifying my intended sentence to avoid its usage.

Anyone else find that happens with them for certain words? Like you know you're using it right, but it bothers you enough that you almost go out of your way to avoid using.

English makes no sense. It's strangest feature? Despite it making no sense, it is very easy to learn :laugh:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
English makes no sense. It's strangest feature? Despite it making no sense, it is very easy to learn :laugh:

Well there is some method to its madness, you just have to know which of the three (I believe, Latin, Germanic or Greek) root languages that make up the majority of the English language your particular word is coming from and follow the rules of that root language for that word.

But it's also why it relatively easy to learn, because there is almost always something familiar about it so long as you are coming from a language that is somehow related to one of those bases.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Do you have anything to say about the actual crater or are you going to focus on everything else? The discovery is the whole point not the fact that this guy is preaching the his "Woke" disciples.

C'mon man, you can't post a video where the guy immediately starts running his face about "mainstream media keeping real knowledge from the people" nonsense and not have anyone comment about it.

The crater itself is insane and cool. The legitimate articles about it are fascinating. It fits in with the Younger Dryas timeline, and there's probably tons of cool research to come from this discovery in the next 5-10 years.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad