OT: Sens Lounge XCX +1: NO POLITICS DAMNIT! edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
No way your macbook is not slowing down now... no way. 5 years is the magic number for when they block you out of software upgrades.

As long as I shut it down regularly (ie. once a week) it seems to work fine. I only get into speed issues if I keep it running without shutting it down for long periods of time. Is that 5 year thing true? I'm literally 2 weeks from the 5 year mark so I guess we'll see.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
If it's 2015 or newer MB, 2016 or newer MBP, or 2017 or newer MBA, the keyboard has a faulty design and will be replaced by Apple for free if it fails.

I think it was a early 2015 and they said not in that replacement range (by asset number)... even though it was a similar failure. that is when we decided to eff Apple

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
I think it was a early 2015 and they said not in that replacement range (by asset number)... even though it was a similar failure. that is when we decided to eff Apple
It didn't used to be covered, the keyboard replacement program began about 6 months ago, if you still own it, go get it repaired for free

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
I owe you a beer or 12 if this works out. ;) Thanks!
I'll take you up on that, cheers!

My only concern would be the keyboard program is for 4 years after purchase, which is probably pretty close for a 2015 MB, but if you are just outside of the window and complain that you weren't aware of the program and just heard recently, I'm sure they will repair it. Apple's customer service is second to none from my experiences over the years.

Reactions: Variable26

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
If business picks up and I can get the cash together, next computer I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a desktop. I've been on laptops near 20 years now, but honestly I basically do all my work from home, have an external mouse, keyboard, monitor anyhow, may as well up my system and have the old laptop for if I need mobility. Honestly though, I don't even like taking my computer with me if I travel, prefer the freedom of not having it in the back of my mind.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Asus. I've had it since 2012.
I still have an HP laptop that was from 2008 running strong (aside from the battery) that we use to surf the web and what not.

My desktop is a Frankenstein at this point; I built in in 2006 and have nothing left from that original build save the case.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I still have an Asus laptop that's still going from about 7 or 8 years ago.. Doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon..

I also just built my first desktop, was so much easier than I ever expected, don't know why I ever wasted extra hundreds buying prebuilt.

It's been awesome these past few weeks getting to play games I just couldn't play on my old desktop.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I still have an Asus laptop that's still going from about 7 or 8 years ago.. Doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon..

I also just built my first desktop, was so much easier than I ever expected, don't know why I ever wasted extra hundreds buying prebuilt.

It's been awesome these past few weeks getting to play games I just couldn't play on my old desktop.
Mine is 4 years old and still works great

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I have a 2011 Macbook pro as my main laptop and it still works well. Yes its definitely slower than when I first got it, but for web browsing and other simple stuff it works fine.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Putting PCs together is simple and very rewarding. It is also pretty expensive unfortunately.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Got some tickets to The Cult. They're old as balls but a pretty good concert.

Attachments

• IMG_2762.JPG
    IMG_2762.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 3

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Putting PCs together is simple and very rewarding. It is also pretty expensive unfortunately.
Big ol' +1. It's like snapping Legos into place if you've got the right tutorial video or expertise. I built my rig in 2012 and it's still holding up just great with a few upgrades. Even with that though, I wish I had the finances and need to build a new one. So relaxing.
Worth it just to see She Sells Sanctuary.
Great tune! First riff I ever learned on guitar.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Yup, place went nuts for that. Dave Mirra 2 had me set for that. I feel like that was a beauty tune when I was 10-13 because of Nintendo.

Gran Turismo 3 for me. 2000s sports games were just a gold mine for discovering music.

Always liked their song at the end of Gone in 60 Seconds too, Painted on my Heart. Other than that, really don't know anything about The Cult.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

Yeah, it can be expensive for sure. I was just making the compairason between building yourself versus buying a prebuilt.

I built my PC for about $800 whereas if I purchased the same computer prebuilt at a store, I would of easily been over $1000.

I was also able to buy it over a few months (got most parts on sale), instead of all at once, which made it easier to absorb the cost.

I just always assumed it was complicated to build one, but I had it completely built and running in about 3 hours. If I did it again, I could probably do it in under 2 hours easy.

Last edited:

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I just bought a 1660ti as a cheap stopgap GPU since I was running a GTX 760 and I have to say it's performing amazingly. Paid 460$ with tax.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
I'm curious to try an external GPU through thunderbolt with my MBP, but I don't really game so other than the experimental aspect of some benchmarks probably a complete waste of money

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Yeah, it can be expensive for sure. I was just making the compairason between building yourself versus buying a prebuilt.

I built my PC for about $800 whereas if I purchased the same computer prebuilt at a store, I would of easily been over $1000.

I was also able to buy it over a few months (got most parts on sale), instead of all at once, which made it easier to absorb the cost.

I just always assumed it was complicated to build one, but I had it completely built and running in about 3 hours. If I did it again, I could probably do it in under 2 hours easy.

Does that factor in the cost of an OS and any software that you want with the PC? Such as Office products.
Just curious as I want a PC at home to do very very light gaming and work and I found one for like $500 on newegg that interests me. I also have so many other projects going on I really don't feel like really wanting to build a PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad