OT: Sens Lounge XCVII: "Zorf; 21 times!" Edition

What is more satisfying?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Wow, thanks so much to this! Got quite emotional watching this for some reason.

It's my pleasure. I must have watched it 10 times in a row. The last part at the pub... probably watched it more than that... and it brought tears to my eyes every single time.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
It’s too bad that host guy is such an annoying goofball like Fallon at his worst. And they always do these preplanned setups and play them off like they are spontaneous magical events.
Paul is cool though.
Funny, my (86yr old) mom, who watched it before me, told me: "I don't mean to be rude, but that James Corden seems a little too excited" lol. At the same time, he's been doing those carpools for quite some time. I find it to be an innovative idea and, to be fair, he's had top of the line guests on that alone. This one was over the top though :)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Man, I have to say, the biggest disappointment I've had since moving back to Canada is the realization of just how bad the wine we produce is.

After living in Europe, it's real hard drinking the plonk we produce over here.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Man, I have to say, the biggest disappointment I've had since moving back to Canada is the realization of just how bad the wine we produce is.

BC wine is superb. They don’t export a lot of it though.

PEC is decent in terms of Ontario wines but yeah it’s hard to compare to the European stuff.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Most of what we do sucks compared to Europe when it comes to food and drinks.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

Did you used to think it was good? I mean, I don't remember ever even paying much attention to the Ontario wine section of the LCBO, I didn't have to go to Europe to realise that the foreign wines were better and cheaper to boot. That said, I have had a couple of Henry of Pelham reds I thought were quite decent.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

I'm not a wine drinker. Quite uncivilized in that area. It all tastes the same to me. And as a side note, I've heard the argument so many times that I need to acquire the taste. If I need to acquire a taste for something, that just means it's gross but you'll get used to it eventually.

Back on track. For me, after 4+weeks in Europe, the biggest thing we get wrong is coffee. Especially compared to Italy. There it's glorious. It dances on your tastebuds. It's served quickly too.

Here you wait 7 minutes for your $6 Starbucks mocha-frappa-lappa-tappa-mappa-gappa-slappa-chino with a salted caramel drizzle.

There you order a cappuccino, you get it in a minute, and you enjoy a taste of heaven. And it only costs €1.50 if you go to the right places.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'm not a wine drinker. Quite uncivilized in that area. It all tastes the same to me. And as a side note, I've heard the argument so many times that I need to acquire the taste. If I need to acquire a taste for something, that just means it's gross but you'll get used to it eventually.

Back on track. For me, after 4+weeks in Europe, the biggest thing we get wrong is coffee. Especially compared to Italy. There it's glorious. It dances on your tastebuds. It's served quickly too.

Here you wait 7 minutes for your $6 Starbucks mocha-frappa-lappa-tappa-mappa-gappa-slappa-chino with a salted caramel drizzle.

There you order a cappuccino, you get it in a minute, and you enjoy a taste of heaven. And it only costs €1.50 if you go to the right places.

You got that right about the coffee! Have to admit thought the Canadian in me when I am at my villa in southern Italy always has a tin of Tim's and a bodum. My cousins call it "aqua zozza" in Southern Italian dialect or "dirty water" , yet strangely enough, the like it!

You know what is funny about almost everyone that comes from Italy to visit? If and when they return, their craving is our pizzas here, especially Colonnade Pizza. Like, literally straight from the airport. They say their pizzas are skimpy compared to out monstrosities.

They also love Dairy Queen, and they all do the same thing to the cone...they hold it upside down in amazement!

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Well, sharing this was an absolute must. Enjoy everyone!!! :)

He is literally the coolest guy to walk to the face of the Earth.

Sad to see them get old, but he still loves what he does. One of my greatest moments in my life was when he came out on stage in Ottawa, in the long coat, boots and started off with "Eight Days a Week". What a concert

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
You got that right about the coffee! Have to admit thought the Canadian in me when I am at my villa in southern Italy always has a tin of Tim's and a bodum. My cousins call it "aqua zozza" in Southern Italian dialect or "dirty water" , yet strangely enough, the like it!

You know what is funny about almost everyone that comes from Italy to visit? If and when they return, their craving is our pizzas here, especially Colonnade Pizza. Like, literally straight from the airport. They say their pizzas are skimpy compared to out monstrosities.

They also love Dairy Queen, and they all do the same thing to the cone...they hold it upside down in amazement!

Eh, it's all what you're used to. European coffee is great. But sometimes you want that big cup of swamp water. European pizza is great. But sometime you want to order a pizza with a couple of friends and it'll fill you all up and more.

As for wine? Eh, it's way more transportable than beer. I'd venture to say slightly easier to make if your grapes grow well. People everywhere make what they can, and we don't have the sun in Canada to make it well. In places where they do, of course it's what they drink. Shouldn't be any surprise about it. I've got to a point where wine is easier on the stomach than beer so I sometimes drink it for that reason alone.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I don't mind Canadian wines at all. In fact some are very, very good. Moray Tawse is really changing the scenery as far as wines and their quality. He always sends me a few bottles a year. This summer I would like to visit his wineries.

Of course, they cannot compete with Old World in many cases. But a lot of that stuff is crap too, built on name recognition and their homelands. France produces 8+ Billion bottles of wine, I would venture to say a lot of junk is from there too.

I personally love California Cab Sauv wines, especially the 20$ bottles. Phenomenal value.

In Italy I have purchased a bottle of wine for 1.40 Euros, just for kicks as it cost almost as much as a 1.5L water bottle. Not bad tasting actually!

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I don't mind Canadian wines at all. In fact some are very, very good. Moray Tawse is really changing the scenery as far as wines and their quality. He always sends me a few bottles a year. This summer I would like to visit his wineries.

Of course, they cannot compete with Old World in many cases. But a lot of that stuff is crap too, built on name recognition and their homelands. France produces 8+ Billion bottles of wine, I would venture to say a lot of junk is from there too.

I personally love California Cab Sauv wines, especially the 20$ bottles. Phenomenal value.

In Italy I have purchased a bottle of wine for 1.40 Euros, just for kicks as it cost almost as much as a 1.5L water bottle. Not bad tasting actually!

California wines are better than the large majority of the European stuff imo. Especially Zinfandel.

Reactions: coladin

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
BC wine is superb. They don’t export a lot of it though.

PEC is decent in terms of Ontario wines but yeah it’s hard to compare to the European stuff.

Also, my family left Europe to live in BC. I'm pretty sure that means Europe sucks. North America is better at everything! Don't believe me? Ask Albert Einstein: Born European, died an American.

Okanagan makes great wines, though!

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I tend to like the sweeter white wines, so VQA wines work for me.

Though, there's a German gewurtztraminer in the lcbo I like, and I usually get an Italian wine when I buy red (Masi Campofiorin)
So as you can see, not a huge wine drinker.

Beers though I think we're able to produce some solid ones in Ontario. Though in general beer tends to work best by drinking local in my experience.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
He is literally the coolest guy to walk to the face of the Earth.

Sad to see them get old, but he still loves what he does. One of my greatest moments in my life was when he came out on stage in Ottawa, in the long coat, boots and started off with "Eight Days a Week". What a concert

Sadly, they were before my time. And I never got to see Paul. Mostly, I wish my son would have; he his their biggest fan in the world. I sent him this link less than 24hrs before it came out and he had already watched it :)

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I tend to like the sweeter white wines, so VQA wines work for me.

Though, there's a German gewurtztraminer in the lcbo I like, and I usually get an Italian wine when I buy red (Masi Campofiorin)
So as you can see, not a huge wine drinker.

Beers though I think we're able to produce some solid ones in Ontario. Though in general beer tends to work best by drinking local in my experience.

Masi Campfiorin is a solid choice. My wife likes the sweeter whites and likes Black Tower or Blue Nun (lucky for me as it is not expensive!)

I like this wine from Pasqua called Ripassimento. Truly awful label design but a very solid wine. A wine that I can drink everyday is Mondavi Woodbridge. Menage a Trois is also very good.

I like the European beers mostly. Stella my fav, but tend to like anything in the central to Northern Europe varieties.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Sadly, they were before my time. And I never got to see Paul. Mostly, I wish my son would have; he his their biggest fan in the world. I sent him this link less than 24hrs before it came out and he had already watched it :)

We have had this chat about our obsessive Beatlemaniac kids, but I don't think my son has seen it yet. He will love it!

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
What could I do/say to get my friend to stop bending over backwards for his irresponsible younger (but still adult) brother?

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
California wines are better than the large majority of the European stuff imo. Especially Zinfandel.
The problem is that the selection of European wine at the LCBO is pathetic and way too expensive, and so Californian, Argentinean or South African is definitely better value.

But when you're in France, Italy or Portugal you can get fantastic local wine at the market for 6-7 euros a bottle

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
The problem is that the selection of European wine at the LCBO is pathetic and way too expensive, and so Californian, Argentinean or South African is definitely better value.

But when you're in France, Italy or Portugal you can get fantastic local wine at the market for 6-7 euros a bottle

Definitely. I remember getting pretty awesome wine for like a Euro in Spain.

Haven’t been to Italy really. Feel like that’s one of my major food bucket list destinations (along with New Orleans and Mexico City).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad