OT: Sens Lounge LXXXXI - Lying is bad, mmkay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I hate DLC. Day 1 DLC = I'm not buying.

Day 0 is even worse... 'hey we're releasing a new game.' 'btw, we have this extra bit of content available at the exact same time which we didn't bother including in the release'
'and for those who like physical media, we even included it on the disk you bought... Just pay a little more now to access it'

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I remember on Halo 2 it was $4-$5 to for 3-6 maps. Now 3 maps on CoD is $20. Obvious scam is obvious.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Amazing interview with 2 amazingly important people of our generation. Wonder what this will look like in 50 or 100 years. If you know of anyone else who speaks with truth, knowledge and clarity like Dr. McDougall please let me know. Thanks
edit: no health wars please. I'm seriously not interested in getting into any arguments. It's just a video I thought was worthy of sharing.

Last edited:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Amazing interview with 2 amazingly important people of our generation. Wonder what this will look like in 50 or 100 years. If you know of anyone else who speaks with truth, knowledge and clarity like Dr. McDougall please let me know. Thanks

A 50-minute long video on health dogma. I'm sure this will get watched a ton. :laugh:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I ended up having burgers for dinner, but there's this awesome little family-run cafe/restaurant a few towns over (in Switzerland, most of the country is made up of small towns 5 minutes from each other... it's a very old-world European setup, and because Swiss law is heavily protectionist of farmland the towns haven't merged yet because no one is allowed to develop the farmland), and they do these amazing burgers that, instead of ground beef, they use diced rump steak. It's a burger, but it's also steak. It's the best of both worlds.

Man, it's so good. Plus, they know how to cook it - you ask for it medium rare, and it's the perfect medium rare: red at the center, surrounded by pink, with the perfect amount of grilled on the outside. Cooked consistently, the same way, every time. Comes with this really good sweet sauerkraut that they have in my region of the country, homecut fries made fresh, and a little side of homemade spätzle.

Naturally, the owners aren't Swiss, because the food is actually delicious. :laugh:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I ended up having burgers for dinner, but there's this awesome little family-run cafe/restaurant a few towns over (in Switzerland, most of the country is made up of small towns 5 minutes from each other... it's a very old-world European setup, and because Swiss law is heavily protectionist of farmland the towns haven't merged yet because no one is allowed to develop the farmland), and they do these amazing burgers that, instead of ground beef, they use diced rump steak. It's a burger, but it's also steak. It's the best of both worlds.

Man, it's so good. Plus, they know how to cook it - you ask for it medium rare, and it's the perfect medium rare: red at the center, surrounded by pink, with the perfect amount of grilled on the outside. Cooked consistently, the same way, every time. Comes with this really good sweet sauerkraut that they have in my region of the country, homecut fries made fresh, and a little side of homemade spätzle.

Naturally, the owners aren't Swiss, because the food is actually delicious. :laugh:

I've never heard the stereotype of the Swiss being bad cooks. Interesting. A steak-burger sounds incredible, though. God knows most chefs here seem to have trouble between rare and medium-well.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Whats wrong with civ 6? Its a lot more complete than civ 5 was at launch, hell even with the expansions. I've had a few random crashes, but aside from that it runs flawlessly.

I don't think it's a bad game, I just hate the trend of delivering an unfinished game at launch, with the aim of finishing it after a few patches.

Just take a look at the list of features they are promising to deliver in the next few patches once they get around to it. Like sure, I believe that they will do it, but the trend allows other developers to do the same, developers that I don't trust to not go: "Oh nevermind, you already have given us money for the game. Those features we promised to patch in? They are now coming in a DLC you'll have to pay for."

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Man, it's so good. Plus, they know how to cook it - you ask for it medium rare, and it's the perfect medium rare: red at the center, surrounded by pink, with the perfect amount of grilled on the outside.

I remember when my local started doing burgers and how surprised I was when the burger came pink inside and leaking juices. I was like, I can appreciate this, but wow would I never have expected this from a burger

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I've never heard the stereotype of the Swiss being bad cooks. Interesting.

It's not that they are bad cooks, it's that the Swiss palate is about as bland as you can get. They hate spicy (hot) food, they hate overly-spiced food, they hate overly-flavorful food.

Obviously this is a generalization, and obviously there are some Swiss who are more adventurous with their taste, but generally it holds pretty true. I've been to every Indian restaurant (Indian being my favorite food) within a 20km radius of me, and they're all awful, because the chefs have to tone down the flavor so much because otherwise no one will come.

Most Swiss dishes are just a combination of cheese, bread, sausage (very minimally spiced, think the mildest Bratwurst you've ever had), and potatoes. Fondue (both cheese and chinoise), raclette, rosti, malakoff, papet vaudois, tartiflette... good for what they are, but hardly adventurous in any way. They're all about as bland as food gets.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Yeah that sounds like some awful food. Some of the upsides of a more ethnically diverse country is amazing food/culture. Here in MI we have amazing pockets of great Indian and Middle Eastern food.

Also, I am going to gorge myself once again in New Orleans on some fantastic cuisine.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Yesterday my Mom negotiated for a used car for $14500. Verbal agreement and handshake. Today they phoned saying theres now a $490 admin fee a top of it. They broke down the monthly payments based on 14500.

I think its a final cash grab that should be refused. Its a really good deal for the car even with an additional 500 but id still rather he not pay it. She needs the car now and can't really walk away because of that.

Call the bluff or negotiate the admin price down? I assume they do this after every sale.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
You can try but Admin fees are always pretty much set. Maybe bring up how it wasn't brought up before and see if they can knock an extra $100-$150 off the car.

Also, is this a dealership used car lot, or one of those hokey Billy Bobs used car type of places?

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Yesterday my Mom negotiated for a used car for $14500. Verbal agreement and handshake. Today they phoned saying theres now a $490 admin fee a top of it. They broke down the monthly payments based on 14500.

I think its a final cash grab that should be refused. Its a really good deal for the car even with an additional 500 but id still rather he not pay it. She needs the car now and can't really walk away because of that.

Call the bluff or negotiate the admin price down? I assume they do this after every sale.

If she's not able to walk away, then calling the bluff won't do much. They're counting on a customer not being able to walk away, either due to falling in love with the car, integrity or desperation. That's why they can get away with this stuff.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
You can try but Admin fees are always pretty much set. Maybe bring up how it wasn't brought up before and see if they can knock an extra $100-$150 off the car.

Also, is this a dealership used car lot, or one of those hokey Billy Bobs used car type of places?

Its a dealership.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Yeah the admin fees are pretty much standard, even if they didn't tell you, and they should have, almost all of them have that fee whether its a "real" fee or not. I forget that my admin fee was for my car but I had it as well.

Yeah, the shady part isn't the fees themselves, those are pretty standard for dealerships IIRC.

The shady part was not divulging them to try and make a sale.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
It's not that they are bad cooks, it's that the Swiss palate is about as bland as you can get. They hate spicy (hot) food, they hate overly-spiced food, they hate overly-flavorful food.

Obviously this is a generalization, and obviously there are some Swiss who are more adventurous with their taste, but generally it holds pretty true. I've been to every Indian restaurant (Indian being my favorite food) within a 20km radius of me, and they're all awful, because the chefs have to tone down the flavor so much because otherwise no one will come.

Most Swiss dishes are just a combination of cheese, bread, sausage (very minimally spiced, think the mildest Bratwurst you've ever had), and potatoes. Fondue (both cheese and chinoise), raclette, rosti, malakoff, papet vaudois, tartiflette... good for what they are, but hardly adventurous in any way. They're all about as bland as food gets.

I surprisingly had pretty decent good in Switzerland. The raclette we had one night was really tasty. It is more bland than some places; but I had tasty food when I was there.

And looks like I might get to go to New Zealand for a wedding... which makes me excited!! I'll start saving now and forgo getting married to get an awesome trip from my cheap ass bf!

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I surprisingly had pretty decent good in Switzerland. The raclette we had one night was really tasty. It is more bland than some places; but I had tasty food when I was there.

And looks like I might get to go to New Zealand for a wedding... which makes me excited!! I'll start saving now and forgo getting married to get an awesome trip from my cheap ass bf!

Hey now. He's giving you a pre honeymoon! Besides it's the bride's family responsible for the wedding costs :p

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Hey now. He's giving you a pre honeymoon! Besides it's the bride's family responsible for the wedding costs :p

Hmmm.... I did hear that somewhere.

Too bad this girls family doesn't have money! But city hall can't be that pricey! Or a pot luck?

But I've gotten very excited about New Zealand.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
City hall is like 100 bucks for the marriage license. Then whatever for the justice of the peace?

Church is about 600 in donations (organist gets 100, singer gets 100, about 20 bucks a piece for a pair of altar servers, 200 for the priest and the rest to the church).

Though you do have to spend a weekend doing anything marriage prep course too.

And why not do a potluck after? Probably less stressful overall :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad