OT: Sens Lounge CVI - The O & D Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
a new business opened up locally out here. Recreational cannabis. I open my door and there is a flier.

Okay, where is the free sample????

I have gotten; Nuttela, Depends, up-tight and out of sight (Tampons), mayo and about a 1/2 dozen other products...what do you do if that string breaks on a tampon???.. But no sample from them.

the Depends were too small.

I'm not sure what I would do with a jar of mayo left on my doorstep, but eating it would not be my first choice :)

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Why they would remove Johnny cage from the movie entirely and make some f*** named Cole with the super power of a metal shirt the main character is beyond me.

Classic Hollywood BS. Anyone remember the He-Man movie? Or Super Mario Bros. was another example. They give this shit to people with 0 familiarity with the franchise, who just dress it on some half-assed script in their drafts folder

Reactions: Icelevel
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
A dude at work got into a shouting match with a manager. He was told to put his mask on, but he claimed he didn't need to anymore because he was vaccinated. :biglaugh:

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
I'm not sure what I would do with a jar of mayo left on my doorstep, but eating it would not be my first choice :)
it was in a gel pack..I threw it away...damn nice of them though. I used the various soap products and other...

The beauty of Suburbia, we are targets of anyone wanting sell a product.

I called about the cannabis sample..they hung up!!!!

I went one their site..unreal what you can get...Icetea with THC or CBD...gummy bears!!!! there must have been 100 edible products.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Rocco is 6 months old today. Still a terror. 50 libbies and gaining.

IMG_5348.jpg

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I hope I win the lotto so I can move out of this province.

Kind of nuts to think that I'm now happy I moved to Québec.

It seemed like a downgrade when I first moved (outside of being able to live in French and being able to afford owning a home) across the board but now Ontario is the chaotic mess.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Science lost me when they took Pluto away from my childhood

The problem isn't science.

The problem is how actual, real science was presented to the plèbe.

Science is dealing with uncertainty. The whole idea that something becomes scientific once it is settled is ridiculous when you think about it.

EDIT: I realize this might sound more snarky than intended. I didn't mean to call you out, I get what you are saying. "I was told this was true and suddenly it wasn't anymore" is whiplash and it is normal for people to not react very well to it. We thought Pluto was a planet and once we found out more we decided we wrong is the correct way to look at it but people are taught to think "science = truth and truth doesn't change" and that just isn't how science "works".

EDIT2: I'm in a great mood so I'm just going to run with it for a bit longer. The whole "science = truth" axiom is my biggest pet peeve with aggressive atheists: they act like science is a religion and they fail to see how them pushing "no no, my system is better than yours so you should feel shame and join me" is basically religious zealotry.

Last edited:
Reactions: maclean and DrEasy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The problem isn't science.

The problem is how actual, real science was presented to the plèbe.

Science is dealing with uncertainty. The whole idea that something becomes scientific once it is settled is ridiculous when you think about it.

EDIT: I realize this might sound more snarky than intended. I didn't mean to call you out, I get what you are saying. "I was told this was true and suddenly it wasn't anymore" is whiplash and it is normal for people to not react very well to it. We thought Pluto was a planet and once we found out more we decided we wrong is the correct way to look at it but people are taught to think "science = truth and truth doesn't change" and that just isn't how science "works".

EDIT2: I'm in a great mood so I'm just going to run with it for a bit longer. The whole "science = truth" axiom is my biggest pet peeve with aggressive atheists: they act like science is a religion and they fail to see how them pushing "no no, my system is better than yours so you should feel shame and join me" is basically religious zealotry.

I was joking.

But i get what you are saying , but many fear if they can't get what is and isn't a planet right, what else are scientists wrong about?

Science is perfected by the testing and retesting of hypothesis, formulaes, etc...until they can prove something. Then someone will prover otherwise. Also, science is prone to human frailty. Corruption, self-serving, fame, etc...can also have an effect on how the science is presented and framed to the public. I suppose that is why things must be peer reviewed . All this to say that I am a believer in science to a very large extent, but also appreciate that they do not, can not have the answer to everything

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
The thing about science is it does not offer cut and dry answers the way people assume it does. It's "according to the research so far, this appears to be the case". And we can use that until research takes us further, but people have this need to think this is either 100% accurate or it's entirely false. For what it's worth, religion is not that different than science in that regard - despite the kind of fundamentalist viewpoints that have taken hold more recently in the US and then in parts of the Islamic world, religion has also always been about searching for truth and the proper approach to life. It offers stories and the interpretations of spiritual leaders, but has never been as cut and dry as it's made out to be.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The thing about science is it does not offer cut and dry answers the way people assume it does. It's "according to the research so far, this appears to be the case". And we can use that until research takes us further, but people have this need to think this is either 100% accurate or it's entirely false. For what it's worth, religion is not that different than science in that regard - despite the kind of fundamentalist viewpoints that have taken hold more recently in the US and then in parts of the Islamic world, religion has also always been about searching for truth and the proper approach to life. It offers stories and the interpretations of spiritual leaders, but has never been as cut and dry as it's made out to be.

True. I guess part of me wants to leave it up to them, and trust them to make the right decision. But we have seen that there are other motivating factors, because scientists are human and flawed like the rest of us, that can make certain scientists push an agenda that may or may not be completely accurate. Then it turns into policy. Then they close the dirty reactors. Then more windfarms. Then the scientist who recommended said actions is on the board of directors.

I like science, and more often than not will put a certain amount of faith in it. But even the saints of the Catholic church were sinners, because they were human and flawed. So are scientists

Reactions: maclean

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
True. I guess part of me wants to leave it up to them, and trust them to make the right decision. But we have seen that there are other motivating factors, because scientists are human and flawed like the rest of us, that can make certain scientists push an agenda that may or may not be completely accurate. Then it turns into policy. Then they close the dirty reactors. Then more windfarms. Then the scientist who recommended said actions is on the board of directors.

I like science, and more often than not will put a certain amount of faith in it. But even the saints of the Catholic church were sinners, because they were human and flawed. So are scientists

My Pluto moment by the way was there was something they said might prevent cancer, then like a year later another study came out saying it might actually lead to cancer, and that thing was, like, broccoli :laugh:

Reactions: coladin

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
These pop up clinics are comical. I swear some slimy politician’s dog is running this whole operation

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
These pop up clinics are comical. I swear some slimy politician’s dog is running this whole operation
Try and remember, we elect them.

It paints us in a even worse light.

Is it the fool in office, or the fool who elects the fool to office.

Reactions: Cosmix

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Try and remember, we elect them.

It paints us in a even worse light.

Is it the fool in office, or the fool who elects the fool to office.

Much easier to blame people at the top than the people who allow them to get there.

I agree with you: things are much more bottom-up than top-down. Things are worse because the average person is far more self-centered than before.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I need to watch a new series, as the Sens season is devastatingly coming to a close. I have basically watched every show on Apple TV, and they are all ranging from very good to excellent. I am thinking either Breaking Bad or the Crown. Thoughts?

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Much easier to blame people at the top than the people who allow them to get there.

I agree with you: things are much more bottom-up than top-down. Things are worse because the average person is far more self-centered than before.
the mods will kick in soon. Let's hope you read it before then.

I am amazed at how we move towards greater level of education, how we have more universities than ever, how way more people attend them. Yet, I fully believe, we are dumber and our elected officials are way worse than ever before.

I would take Mackenzie King over anyone today and he was elected by people who were borderline illiterate and the bulk never made it past grade 5. None of my grandparents could read or write. My Father had a grade 5. My mother, grade 7. Yet they are savants next to us their kids and we are savants next to our children.

I don't believe that for one second, any politician today, would be elected in 1960, 1950, 1940, etc.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
the mods will kick in soon. Let's hope you read it before then.

I am amazed at how we move towards greater level of education, how we have more universities than ever, how way more people attend them. Yet, I fully believe, we are dumber and our elected officials are way worse than ever before.

I would take Mackenzie King over anyone today and he was elected by people who were borderline illiterate and the bulk never made it past grade 5. None of my grandparents could read or write. My Father had a grade 5. My mother, grade 7. Yet they are savants next to us their kids and we are savants next to our children.

I don't believe that for one second, any politician today, would be elected in 1960, 1950, 1940, etc.

I'd argue that we are smarter but less wise. Very typical outcome of increased complexity: we can achieve more but for less people.

However that is me mostly being pedantic while we wait for the mods to delete our posts but allow conspiracy nonsense to run amok.

We are smarter but worse off. Kind of incredible to consider.

I will say, in the spirit of fairness that politicians like MCarthy in the US makes me think that, while I certainly agree with you, it is important to remember that the past was not without sin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I need to watch a new series, as the Sens season is devastatingly coming to a close. I have basically watched every show on Apple TV, and they are all ranging from very good to excellent. I am thinking either Breaking Bad or the Crown. Thoughts?
I loathed season 2 of For All Mankind. The subplots were so contrived and just there to…I don’t even know.

for what’s it’s worth my top Tv of all time :
Sopranos
The leftovers
The wire
Mad men
Twin peaks
The americans

breaking bad is very good too. You won’t be dissapointed.

the crown can be dry

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I loathed season 2 of For All Mankind. The subplots were so contrived and just there to…I don’t even know.

for what’s it’s worth my top Tv of all time :
Sopranos
The leftovers
The wire
Mad men
Twin peaks
The americans

breaking bad is very good too. You won’t be dissapointed.

the crown can be dry

Leftovers is incredible (season 2 is legit perfect TV) but over The Wire? Not sure if I can go that far.

These are all good suggestions - I’ll throw in Deadwood as well.

For something recent, Mare of Easttown has been off the chain.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Leftovers is incredible (season 2 is legit perfect TV) but over The Wire? Not sure if I can go that far.

These are all good suggestions - I’ll throw in Deadwood as well.

For something recent, Mare of Easttown has been off the chain.
I’m in the middle of Deadwood now.
Leftovers blew me away. I feel how you feel about season 2. And it’s still probably my least favorite season of the three haha.

season 5 of the wire was a little too weak but to be fair the wire was number 2 for me until my Lefotvers rewatch.

leftovers I found to just be a much more personal story. Which I like.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mingus Dew
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->