OT: Sens Lounge CV - The CV Joint and other Car Parts Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
That's a big yikes from me!

He is not totally wrong in his thinking, there really is only so much a parent can do. I used to tell people that parenting ends at 11. If you haven't setup the foundation by that age, you may very well be screwed, or there may be a lot of missteps that can get very messy, and very aggravating.

Why 11? Around that age, you can basically let them out of your sight a little bit. For instance, in the middle of the day, they can go to the neighborhood park that is a few hundred meters away. Parks are the breeding grounds, or the testing grounds, to see what kind of brain you have helped develop with your kid. I have seen it first hand with my son, and my youngest. They were mortified by choices their friends made at that age. The swearing, profanity, bullying, doing dangerous things, being peer pressured to go to a further park, etc...and they all passed those tests!

Then, it only gets more liberating. Sleepovers. Play dates. Meeting Mary and Jenna at the park, be back for dinner. Just going to the Quickie to hang out. Etc...if the foundation is strong, the rest of the structure will be too!

My son who is 18, I have been telling him the last year, that there really isn't much left in the "getting in trouble" with your parents going on much. Getting grounded is a very rare occurrence at that age. You get yourself in trouble, and there ain't no band aids that will fit over those boo boos. He knows how expensive his car insurance is, the consequences to choices he makes. I have harped on him to use me, use my experience, use my wisdom, and then make your own choice. Try to not go it alone. We are basically life coaches and advisors now!

Agreed. My boys are 11 and 14 now and I can finally just sit back and enjoy the ride......... :sarcasm:

Actually just went through the somewhat stressful process of the older son applying for high school. They can apply to two schools and have to do a standardised entrance exam and it was a bit of a headache trying to get him to decide where he wanted to go so we got involved in the process, looked at schools, went to an open house, settled on the two schools and then suddenly a few days before the applications go in he suddenly wants to change the schools to go to one a couple of friends are applying to, he didn't even know the name of it let alone anything about it... :ha: Long story short had a long discussion with him about it but at the end of the day he's a hard-headed kid and it's his future.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Agreed. My boys are 11 and 14 now and I can finally just sit back and enjoy the ride......... :sarcasm:

Actually just went through the somewhat stressful process of the older son applying for high school. They can apply to two schools and have to do a standardised entrance exam and it was a bit of a headache trying to get him to decide where he wanted to go so we got involved in the process, looked at schools, went to an open house, settled on the two schools and then suddenly a few days before the applications go in he suddenly wants to change the schools to go to one a couple of friends are applying to, he didn't even know the name of it let alone anything about it... :ha: Long story short had a long discussion with him about it but at the end of the day he's a hard-headed kid and it's his future.
Maybe he made the right decision, according to this article?
The Outsize Influence of Your Middle-School Friends

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Maybe he made the right decision, according to this article?
The Outsize Influence of Your Middle-School Friends

Neat article! But I definitely don't need to be taught anything about that - my parents moved when I was 10 and it was like someone took a giant eraser and rubbed out my entire life until that point. My life since that point has basically been a long process of growing a hard shell of indifference to everyone and everything. Not to sound bitter :D Now, a lifetime later and halfway across the world, I have built a life that in many ways could rival that of idyllic rural Eastern Ontario in terms of social connections. But there will never be Best Friend-ships like there were back then.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
So I may have stumbled onto a "parenting hack" for Toddlers...

I know a lot of people who at some point or another that use those toddler clocks to give little ones a visual indication of when it's okay to bug mom and dad in the morning...

So using that concept, got myself a smart colour bulb and playing around with it... And mostly it's made bedtime so much easier.

She always fights bath time, but now when we see that her light is orange, she willingly accepts that yes it is indeed bath time and runs to the bath tub and willingly gets undressed!

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Agreed, at 11 and 14 your work is done! But I think you know what I mean...

First borns tend to be the most stubborn, mine is no different. I would hope that the friends that he is choosing to align with are good guys, and the parents are good people. Can't stress how apeshit things get in HS, especially with come parents who would like to , ahem, relive their high school years. In Riverside South/Findlay Creek, it is bordering on a parent epidemic lol

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Here’s something interesting that sounds great ... but most likely will be overused if it works

Can a pill ease the painful memory of an ex?

A Montreal researcher says he has found a way to take the emotional sting out a bad breakup by "editing" memories using therapy and a beta blocker.
Dr Alain Brunet has spent over 15 years studying post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), working with combat veterans, people who have experienced terror attacks and crime victims.
Much of his research has centred on the development of what he calls "reconsolidation therapy", an innovative approach that can help remove emotional pain from a traumatic memory.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Here’s something interesting that sounds great ... but most likely will be overused if it works

Can a pill ease the painful memory of an ex?

A Montreal researcher says he has found a way to take the emotional sting out a bad breakup by "editing" memories using therapy and a beta blocker.
Dr Alain Brunet has spent over 15 years studying post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), working with combat veterans, people who have experienced terror attacks and crime victims.
Much of his research has centred on the development of what he calls "reconsolidation therapy", an innovative approach that can help remove emotional pain from a traumatic memory.

Yeah....no.

I've seen enough dystopian tyrannical government movies to know how that ends. Screwing around with memories or brain functions in general really isn't the solution.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
That was the best NBA allstar game I have seen. All professional sports should have teams play for charities. 3rd & 4th quarter was legit basketball.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
The housing market in Kingston is stupid.

I should move to Winnipeg.
It’s crap here in Calgary. I’m kind of happy because I’m looking to buy a house and I can buy a decent one for $350,000 but I’ve been paying off my condo for 6 years and I think it’s gone down 20-30% in value.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So, hey mods, are we just allowed to swear now or what's the deal?
Official policy is the profanity filter will do what it does and so long as you don't circumvent it by using alternate characters or spelling it is ok. That said, the site is aimed at 13+ so if the content is deemed offensive it will be deleted and possibly result in an infraction.

Or better yet, go watch some classic George Carling to get it out of your system.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Official policy is the profanity filter will do what it does and so long as you don't circumvent it by using alternate characters or spelling it is ok. That said, the site is aimed at 13+ so if the content is deemed offensive it will be deleted and possibly result in an infraction.

Or better yet, go watch some classic George Carling to get it out of your system.

I'm just reacting to the fact that two days ago you couldn't even write "Pejorative Slured" without it getting filtered and now you can say any old shit you want and it goes through.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
George Carlins 7 dirty words you cant say on tv came out in 1972. shit, piss, f***, :eek::eek::eek::eek:, :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:er, motherf***er, and tits

Edit, well apparently we've advanced a little since then

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
George Carlins 7 dirty words you cant say on tv came out in 1972. shit, piss, f*ck, :eek::eek::eek::eek:, c*cks*cker, motherf*cker, and tits

Edit, well apparently we've advanced a little since then

Had to look them up because I was really curious what the :eek::eek::eek::eek: was

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Watching a bit of Robin Williams standup. Man, I miss that guy. What a legend.

"Men with pants so tight you can tell what religion they are"

Lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad