OT: Sens Lounge CIV - Keep your damned hands off the door edition

Wipers up or down for a winter storm?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
If I could open one integrated app on my tv to search and stream from all my subscribed services, that would be much better.
This, I think, is the core of it all. I agree completely – it's not the cost that bugs me. Yeah, I'd PREFER to pay less, but it's not like this kind of programming is cheap to produce. I get it. The convenience, or lack thereof, is where they lose me. A central app like this would have me onboard without a second thought. But I don't have the patience to sift through Netflix, get frustrated when a show that used to be there isn't there anymore, check Amazon Prime, make the same discovery, etc.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This pretty much sums up my viewpoint. Pick one or two and go with it. Otherwise eventually we'll get to the point where cable is going to start looking reasonable.

I'm passing on Disney too, although my 5 year old self can't help but be tempted by things like Muppet Treasure Island and Darkwing Duck.

I only really use Netflix at the moment, though I have, and occasionally venture onto, Prime.

Disney + to me seems like a much better option than Prime, but my wife got prime for the free shipping prior to the video service being available.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This, I think, is the core of it all. I agree completely – it's not the cost that bugs me. Yeah, I'd PREFER to pay less, but it's not like this kind of programming is cheap to produce. I get it. The convenience, or lack thereof, is where they lose me. A central app like this would have me onboard without a second thought. But I don't have the patience to sift through Netflix, get frustrated when a show that used to be there isn't there anymore, check Amazon Prime, make the same discovery, etc.

I think Roku might have a search feature that crosses various platforms, but I think it opens up the service to play it. So, it`s not like you can just browse all the majors in one library. I could be wrong, I don`t actually have a roku, but that was my understanding.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I think Roku might have a search feature that crosses various platforms, but I think it opens up the service to play it. So, it`s not like you can just browse all the majors in one library. I could be wrong, I don`t actually have a roku, but that was my understanding.
I do have a Roku Stick... will check and report back. Would be pretty useful if so.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
If I could open one integrated app on my tv to search and stream from all my subscribed services, that would be much better.
Apple TV app does this.

The one app compiles my TSN, SportsNet and Crave offerings into one. And while Netflix isn’t compiled, the search function identifies if Netflix has that title.

You also don’t necessarily need an Apple TV or iPhone for the app, it’s available on Roku and some smart TVs now.

Reactions: Micklebot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Apple TV app does this.

The one app compiles my TSN, SportsNet and Crave offerings into one. And while Netflix isn’t compiled, the search function identifies if Netflix has that title.

You also don’t necessarily need an Apple TV or iPhone for the app, it’s available on Roku and some smart TVs now.

Ideally, I'd like to browse everything in one place, but I don't think Netflix allows for that with anything. The roku search is close enough for me to be happy, but unfortunately when I was shoping for tv's last the Roku powered Samsung I had researched and went to costco to buy was no longer offered in store, so I impulse bought a Sony only to discover it wasn't powered by Android TV, but instead linux with Opera/Vewd app store which was shut down about a year after I bought the damn thing.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
All these subscription based services and we are effectively right back in the age of cable TV :laugh:

The more we progress, the more we go backwards :help:

Lol, was going to say the same thing.

I'm an old fart that still hasn't picked up any of the netflix, hulu or whatever and just stay with basic cable. Not saying I'm smart or anything, I was just too lazy to jump onto anything new. But it sure did look like this whole "buy this thing for 2-3 channels" and then exploding into a dozen different platforms was destined to happen. It's just a mess right now.

It's a whole lot easier to have a simple cable package and just add the channels you want onto a single platform.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Our entire TV ecosystem consists of :

Netflix
Amazon Prime
Crave+ HBO/movies
NHL Gamecentre.

So yeah, close to the same cost as cable, but we get exactly the shit we want, nothing else.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
In terms of trying to find where a given show or movie is available : justwatch.com

My personal pet peeve is that services don't play nice with each other, so for a while Amazon didn't stream to chromecast and Google wasn't available on Fire sticks. Plus Bell has never bothered making a Crave app for PS4 despite it being the clear winner of the current console generation. So I have to jump around various devices to watch shows.

That and some things still aren't available for streaming period.

Reactions: DrEasy

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Our entire TV ecosystem consists of :

Netflix
Amazon Prime
Crave+ HBO/movies
NHL Gamecentre.

So yeah, close to the same cost as cable, but we get exactly the **** we want, nothing else.

Add Disney+ to that in a month and you've got the same setup as me. Though I'll may drop Crave+HBO depending on how Watchmen turns out. We'll at least until it's time to give the His Dark Materials a try.

Also I've been tempted by the StackTV options on Amazon Prime since it covers basically all the niche TV channels that are sorta kinda worth watching on cable.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
This pretty much sums up my viewpoint. Pick one or two and go with it. Otherwise eventually we'll get to the point where cable is going to start looking reasonable.

I'm passing on Disney too, although my 5 year old self can't help but be tempted by things like Muppet Treasure Island and Darkwing Duck.

You can buy Darkwing duck seasons on dvd for like $10! (At least we did a few years ago).

I won't be getting Disney+ either. Too many streaming sites... I can't pay for everything. Also, I only have Amazon Prime. But only just started watching Prime TV. So I'm not feeling like I'm missing out!

Edit: we actually have cable. So I PVR a lot of stuff.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Off the off-topic, but...

I had a black coloured fighter jet dive bomb my house on thanks giving.

Has anyone heard of a black jet? I thought fighter jets weren’t supposed to be black because of the Geneva convention.

Also, why the heck did it buzz my rooftop? It was under 300 ft in elevation easily.

Like what black book program is this? RnD or more like a secret program for you know... *looks directly skyward* Those guys.

Also - Disney + has the Mandalorian. Probably get it around Christmas for the seasonal movies for at least a month or two.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Has anyone heard of a black jet? I thought fighter jets weren’t supposed to be black because of the Geneva convention.

Also, why the heck did it buzz my rooftop? It was under 300 ft in elevation easily.

Like what black book program is this? RnD or more like a secret program for you know... *looks directly skyward* Those guys.

Also - Disney + has the Mandalorian. Probably get it around Christmas for the seasonal movies for at least a month or two.
ancient-aliens-1_0.png

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

What would stop anyone from painting a jet black? Aren't those weird stealth bomber things also black?

But it could be some sort of special day in military history? I live close to the Ottawa River, and damned near every special occasion (Canada Day, V-Day, etc) those freaking CF-whatevers the RCAF flies fly just above our home. Damned things fly so low they shake the house. And loud....they're going to wake the dead and start a zombie apocalypse pulling that crap.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire

Not sure about agreements on the color of jets but aren't the Geneva Conventions only relevant in times of war?

Military drone could be a possibility? Tom Cruise filming Top Gun 2? Sounds like a freaky experience.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I think some people forget that "Disney" is also now:
- FOX network (and with it, every single TV show that FOX ever made Simpsons, King of the Hill, Arrested Development, etc...)
- Lucasfilms
- ESPN
- ABC network
- A&E
- National Geographic

... It isn't just "Disney Movies". And on top of all that, I have two kids. Disney will probably be the MAIN streaming service in our house.

There were rumours for a while that the Disney Streaming service might even include MLB baseball. Sign me the heck up.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

Sorry. I just wanted to show you my new plane.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
- FOX network (and with it, every single TV show that FOX ever made Simpsons, King of the Hill, Arrested Development, etc...)
- Lucasfilms
- ESPN
- ABC network
- A&E
- National Geographic

... It isn't just "Disney Movies". And on top of all that, I have two kids. Disney will probably be the MAIN streaming service in our house.

There were rumours for a while that the Disney Streaming service might even include MLB baseball. Sign me the heck up.

For the US I believe that it's pretty much been stated they're going with a tiered subscription model:
Disney+ (which won't have anything R-rated)
Hulu (for non Disney properties and R-rated Disney properties)
ESPN (for sports)

And there's some sort of mix and match bundle. Similar to what Crave does with HBO and Starz content. Hopefully they'll at least bundle them inside the same app as opposed to requiring three separate apps (if the same model comes to Canada, not certain since distribution rights are completely different).

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
- Lucasfilms
- ESPN
- ABC network
- A&E
- National Geographic

It took them something like 4 hours to tweet out their launch catalogue...

They also put out a 3 hour preview on youtube.

At the end of the day, my only issue is it looks like I will have to chromecast to one tv and buy a dongle for the other two if I want to watch Disney+ because my PS3 is no longer supported by Sony, and my Sony TV is unlikely to be supported as it was one of the ones using vewd instead of Android tv.

Some things that have peaked my interest:
- Pixar movies
- Simpsons (the old stuff was pretty good)
- Muppets tv series (2015, curious about this, never saw it)
- Marvel Movies (some are bad, but I'd still like to see others)

Here's a complete list sorted by type
Disney+ launch: See the complete list of every TV show and movie you'll be able to binge - CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->