OT: Sens Lounge CIII | Stranger Things Fashion Debate Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
No. That increases the portion that is a grant opposed to a loan.
It's free money.

Been a long time since I qualified for osap, and when I did it was a max of 8000 that was forgiven as a grant... If you were successful with your school year. And you could have a loan of up to 13k for the year, so there was still 5k to pay back.

beh3moth

May 27, 2010
Hi folks! Question for the locals: what would be a good suburb/neighbourhood for someone who works in tech (dev) and a healthcare worker (nurse) to apartment hunt around in order to be located close enough to both our workplaces?

I'm thinking Kanata or Barrhaven as we both own a vehicle (but can sell one), and we'd get more space outside of the core (ie, renting a townehouse instead of a 2 bedroom in a student ghetto). Price range is around 1400 - 1800/mo, but I'm not familiar with Ottawa's rental market.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Hi folks! Question for the locals: what would be a good suburb/neighbourhood for someone who works in tech (dev) and a healthcare worker (nurse) to apartment hunt around in order to be located close enough to both our workplaces?

I'm thinking Kanata or Barrhaven as we both own a vehicle (but can sell one), and we'd get more space outside of the core (ie, renting a townehouse instead of a 2 bedroom in a student ghetto). Price range is around 1400 - 1800/mo, but I'm not familiar with Ottawa's rental market.
Depends what area of town you're working in. Ottawa doesn't have a metro and the bus transit is notoriously trash. I would keep both cars.

That being said Barrhaven and Kanata are both crappy commutes, and I think the days of finding a townhouse for rent in the suburbs for 1400-1800 are gone. If I was in your shoes I would choose to live in the core, that way your commute is going against the grain during rush hour, both ways.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
the bus transit is notoriously trash.

Eh. Honestly, I still find it better than most North American cities, as long as you're commuting during regular work hours.

I've lived in a lot of places, and have had FAR worse public transit service than what you get in Ottawa.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Houses & Apartments for Rent in Ottawa, ON from $22 | Point2 Homes

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Been a long time since I qualified for osap, and when I did it was a max of 8000 that was forgiven as a grant... If you were successful with your school year. And you could have a loan of up to 13k for the year, so there was still 5k to pay back.

How it works right now is you are given a loan. The most you have to pay back on that loan is $7000 give or take a few hundred. As you start adding on things like, disability, parent, single parent, indigenous, etc, the amount of money they give you increases but you are still only required to pay back the $7000. The rest is listed as a grant. You are required to report it on your income tax but you are not charged an taxes on it.

Some people get upset and see that someone could get $20,000 and only have to pay back the $7000 but after the tuition, school fees and books and that you break that up over two semesters it does not work out to a lot. It is designed to help put people on the same level. It is harder for a single parent to go back to school than it is an 18 year old with no responsibilities. And if that single parent had to pay back that entire amount, it would deter them from even attempting to go back to school.

I work for an Ontario college and deal with OSAP on a regular basis.

What I dont understand is if his grandparents live on a reserve, are they full blooded? Are your cousins under the threshold to be eligible for native status? If they are, the band will pay for schooling. Regardless of whether you live on a reserve or not.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If anything needs to change in this country, it's education. School should be as close to free as humanly possible. In another 20 years, it will be pretty much mandatory to have a degree of some sort for the overwhelming majority of jobs, so we might as well do everything we can to make sure the kids int he playground today have the best possible chance of making a strong nation tomorrow.

I don't care if my taxes go up....give every kid in this country a free education!

Reactions: DrEasy

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I like the German system. They have three levels of schooling.

Trades schools and diploma schools (like our colleges) are free for every citizen.
Most universities are mostly covered. You have to pay a small amount and I believe you have to buy your books.
Premium universities you have to pay for. So if you wanted to go to Queens or McGill you would have to pay extra. But even then, it is a drop in the bucket compared to what we pay now.

Ontario colleges were hurting for cash. When a student pays there tuition, that only covers a 1/3 of the actual cost. The rest is provided by the Ontario government, but it takes 2 years to get reimbursed. That is why all the colleges are now bringing in foreign students. They pay more, and pay upfront. Some programs are now 50% domestic students 50% international. This is a good thing and a bad thing. The additional money is helping the schools make money, and since they are a non-profit, they are investing that money in growing the schools. New facilities, upgrades etc etc. The down side is the sudden increase in students has but a burden on student housing. Housing availability in Kingston is in historic lows. Good luck finding a 2 bedroom apartment under $1500 that is not in sketchy part of Kingston.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Kingston is boring. The last murder we had were the honor killings and they were from Montreal.

The sketchy part is called "the heights."

When you see that people put out their garbage in piles and dont bother using garbage bags you know you are in the heights.

Lol, I know, I was just joking around.

Kingston certainly is boring though, you're not lying there. I was there a few weeks ago. If you're not there in some capacity with CFB Kingston or visiting Fort Henry... There's not much going on from a tourism point of view.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Lol, I know, I was just joking around.

Kingston certainly is boring though, you're not lying there. I was there a few weeks ago. If you're not there in some capacity with CFB Kingston or visiting Fort Henry... There's not much going on from a tourism point of view.

There is the jail and Sir John A MacDonalds house...

They are talking about expanding the wharf to allow cruise ships to dock downtown.

You are not wrong. The main tourist draw is that we are in between Montreal and Toronto.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
How can all those canals and bridges and cobbled streets and those churches, all that beautiful ***king fairytale stuff, how can that not be somebody’s ***king thing, eh?

Ken, I grew up in Dublin. I love Dublin. If I grew up on a farm, and was Pejorative Slured, Bruges might impress me, but I didn't so it doesn't.

Reactions: BonkTastic

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
What I dont understand is if his grandparents live on a reserve, are they full blooded? Are your cousins under the threshold to be eligible for native status? If they are, the band will pay for schooling. Regardless of whether you live on a reserve or not.

They are all status except for the father in this case. And you're right about the band funding. They'll pay for his tuition and also give him $800 per month.... all while living at home. Add in the OSAP he'll be getting around $1700 per month. All this is tax free as well.

The issue I have with this is with him getting paid twice to go to school. His mother and grandparents are just crooks.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Just finished up on The Walking Dead and started Stranger Things. After 6 episodes, it's alright. I hear it gets better. After that, gonna start GoT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad