OT: Sens Lounge CIII | Stranger Things Fashion Debate Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The downside of the failure of retail is that in all these new housing developments, you never see a small retail /entertainment area built... Which then further increases reliance on cars especially if you are looking at detached housing.

To me personally, having a couple restaurants/sports bar, a grocery store, a pharmacy, etc all within walking distance is part of building a sustainable community neighborhood.

But I play hockey with a couple developers in my area and they straight up say there's no money in retail development for those areas.
Neighborhoods built pre 1985 tended to have those little strip malls that had a corner store, a restaurant, a video store(rip), a hair salon, sometimes a pharmacy, and or a novelty shop. My hood has one as well as the hood I grew up in.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
It looks like the trend moving forward is the same thing that has been working in urban areas for years. Buildings with retail on the bottom level and condos/apartments above.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I am going to do my best to refrain from using specific’s during this next post, as it’s acknowledges such vulgar actions.

(Mods, feel free to delete this post if you don’t want to go down this rabbit hole. People can be so... People...)

Does anyone remember the last time there was this much national media attention devoted to a story of this nature in Canada? Is this a first?

How is it not over? Could this have been a well thought out diversion and who knows where the next lead will come from.

Scary stuff.

Reactions: BonkTastic

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I am going to do my best to refrain from using specific’s during this next post, as it’s acknowledges such vulgar actions.

(Mods, feel free to delete this post if you don’t want to go down this rabbit hole. People can be so... People...)

Does anyone remember the last time there was this much national media attention devoted to a story of this nature in Canada? Is this a first?

How is it not over? Could this have been a well thought out diversion and who knows where the next lead will come from.

Scary stuff.
Are you talking about the fugitives?

Last edited:

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

Scary stuff.

Sure I do, people have a short memory.

Luka Magnotta.

It's not over because Canada is a huge and largely remote country, and if you aren't using bank cards or a cell phone , it can be quite difficult to locate people still.

People love to speculate on this stuff, but nothing indicates these guys are criminal masterminds.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013

Scary stuff.
Part of the reason it is such a big news story is the fact it is two people committing the acts, that is quite rare, there have only been three instances in Canada’s history of known partner killers.

Just so you know, these two are a world wide news story, coverage is not restricted to Canada.

And no it isn’t a first, there was Homolka/Bernardo, Pickton, Millard, which all come to mind as major media news stories off the top of my head.

And this one is a case of national security since the suspects are at large, so why wouldn’t it be all over the news?

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It looks like the trend moving forward is the same thing that has been working in urban areas for years. Buildings with retail on the bottom level and condos/apartments above.

The problem with these setups is that the people who own and rent the retail space under condo buildings charge an astronomical amount of rent for them, and far too often as a result half of them sit unrented or rented to businesses losing money because the rent is too high. Ones built in super-high-density city centers are working fine, but as soon as you exit the city core it's a much harder sell.

The concept of "retail under condos" makes sense in general, but in practice, in Canada, a lot of them are failing because the owners of the space don't have a realistic view of what the market can bear in the long term.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Saw Honeymoon Suite last night. It. Was. Awesome.

Incredibly loud , but the Brass Monkey is basically a sound chamber.

Sound the same, and sick musicians!

Reactions: branch and 2CHAINZ

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
The problem with these setups is that the people who own and rent the retail space under condo buildings charge an astronomical amount of rent for them, and far too often as a result half of them sit unrented or rented to businesses losing money because the rent is too high. Ones built in super-high-density city centers are working fine, but as soon as you exit the city core it's a much harder sell.

The concept of "retail under condos" makes sense in general, but in practice, in Canada, a lot of them are failing because the owners of the space don't have a realistic view of what the market can bear in the long term.

Yep, there's a building just like that with an unoccupied retail space since the building's been built where we used to live. Also since that building went up, some neighbouring retail/restaurant spaces disappeared I'm pretty sure cause the building owner jacked rent due to speculation from the new apartment rentals and luxury loft condos (that isn't even finished yet) since the first tenants left on an anniversary of when they opened. And over the past couple years since then it's been a revolving door of business attempts.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yep, there's a building just like that with an unoccupied retail space since the building's been built where we used to live. Also since that building went up, some neighbouring retail/restaurant spaces disappeared I'm pretty sure cause the building owner jacked rent due to speculation from the new apartment rentals and luxury loft condos (that isn't even finished yet) since the first tenants left on an anniversary of when they opened. And over the past couple years since then it's been a revolving door of business attempts.

I really don't understand the mentality behind that. I'd much rather have someone occupy the space for a few dollars less, than to leave the place empty or not having stability with a revolving door of businesses. If I was a condo owner or renter in one of the upper units, that kind of turnover would be a huge red flag against living in that building.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I really don't understand the mentality behind that. I'd much rather have someone occupy the space for a few dollars less, than to leave the place empty or not having stability with a revolving door of businesses. If I was a condo owner or renter in one of the upper units, that kind of turnover would be a huge red flag against living in that building.

And vice versa. You get a "convenient" business in there like a little grocery store or Wine Rack and it makes the whole building more attractive to live in.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
And vice versa. You get a "convenient" business in there like a little grocery store or Wine Rack and it makes the whole building more attractive to live in.

Exactly. I've been doing lot of lowkey home shopping lately (more as wishful thinking than an imminent move), and the first thing I check...is there a grocery store within walking distance (or withing walking distance of good transit). You can have the most beautiful home in the world, but if it's a royal pain in the butt to get a loaf of bread, it's not worth living there.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
It is on the BBC and CNN. ;)

Anyhow, I think it has huge media as these kids are planning to go out with a bang and the media wants to be there because that **** sells.

As has been discussed ad nauseum, there is just a good a chance as a K9 track finding the two of them dead in the woods from exposure / self inflicted injury / riddled with bugs.

But overall you are right, until that point comes, the media gets to sit on it and broadcast constantly and pull eyeballs on the visceral possibilities.

Reactions: Variable26

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Honestly I think it's a gentrification thing, or an attempt at it.

The area improved a lot in the last ten years, but personally I think it hit a plateau... But the realtors/developers are still pushing higher. Worst part is that there's an old historical estate property that's being sold for mixed development, including yet another apartment building across the river from the 10 storey one just built... But taller by two or three storeys. And will remove something like 400 trees in the process.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
It is on the BBC and CNN. ;)

Anyhow, I think it has huge media as these kids are planning to go out with a bang and the media wants to be there because that **** sells.

They're already also trying to push the whole video games desensitization agenda again :/ Been seeing a few of those editorials lately.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
They're already also trying to push the whole video games desensitization agenda again :/ Been seeing a few of those editorials lately.

The war to end all wars was just a hundred years ago and state-mandated murder did not cease at that time and yet somehow it's video games' fault when people living in a world that provides practically no meaning other than empty consumption latch onto violence as something that gives them a primal feeling of purpose.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Budapest

Attachments

• IMG_20190728_151327750_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190728_151327750_HDR.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 5

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Are you talking about the fugitives?

Yes

Sure I do, people have a short memory.

Luka Magnotta.

It's not over because Canada is a huge and largely remote country, and if you aren't using bank cards or a cell phone , it can be quite difficult to locate people still.

People love to speculate on this stuff, but nothing indicates these guys are criminal masterminds.

Totally forgot about Magnotta, but that was international.

I don’t think they’re masterminds, but people that believe they’re in that mind set or very clever. None of it really correlates yet.

Part of the reason it is such a big news story is the fact it is two people committing the acts, that is quite rare, there have only been three instances in Canada’s history of known partner killers.

Just so you know, these two are a world wide news story, coverage is not restricted to Canada.

And no it isn’t a first, there was Homolka/Bernardo, Pickton, Millard, which all come to mind as major media news stories off the top of my head.

And this one is a case of national security since the suspects are at large, so why wouldn’t it be all over the news?

Pickton was caught red handed. He never ran, just did his best to hide in plain sight.

I was not alive or too young to remember Bernardo and Homolka but they lured their victims and then got caught by one who escaped, correct? No man hunt really.

This is the first time I remember two wanted fugitives on the run in Canada accused of committing crimes of this nature. The whole country is a little on edge.

We catch serial killers all the time, and they’re much more common than we’d like to believe. But this story is a first for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->