GDT: Sens @ Lightning | Tuesday April 9 | Part 2

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Still was a dumb penalty. Both of them.

Agreed. And his lack of production or assistance on the PP makes it just as worse.

If I'm Sens fans Im not pissed at the Gonchar penalties but the Zibanejad and Conacher non-calls.

Especially Conacher a shift before the Stamkos dive, he was about to go in on a breakaway and was hooked like *****.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
XuH1TZo.png

Especially when you make that call from ACROSS THE ICE. O'Rourke can suck on a lemon.

Supposedly that was Regin's hand? ********... video review should be apart of calls like that.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Do active refs ever apologize and admit they blew calls and then change their attitude? I only remember one ref reverse his call shortly after making it after watching the replay on the scoreboard during a timeout on the ice and if I recall correctly it was a penalty on a Leaf no less. There was one reported case where a ref confided to a player that he watched a replay in between periods and admitted he missed a call but he reffed just as badly the rest of the game.

Why didn't the one who called the penalty on Regin consult the linesman and other ref behind the play who had a clear view of the play?

Did you hear how the ref emphasized the "no goal" call when Stache asked for a review on the high stick. It was filled with loathing. That guy should be banned from reffing until he learns he's not the most important guy on the ice and his "opinion" is worth nothing. We expect the ref to arbitrate fairly according to the rules and don't give a hoot about his false pride. This year unless the ref intended to blow his whistle when a goal is scored there is normally a review so it was proper to have one over a questionable high stick just like there was for the Alfie goal.

My biggest problem with many refs is their complete god like arrogance. "I'm the fr!gg!n ref I'm right and don't you dare question my decision. I don't need another opinion". These are the guys that are ruining the game.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Good article by Ian Mendes on the lack of accountability of NHL referees.
http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/m...ls-to-face-some-accountability#comment-455453

... blaming poor officiating is often the rallying cry of the desperate, the Senators had every reason to be upset with the referees after the 3-2 loss in Tampa Bay. A definitive swing in momentum in the game came as a result of a blown call by referee Dan O’Rourke in the second period. He mistakenly called Peter Regin for a faceoff violation — incorrectly assuming the Senators centre had scooped the puck with his hand. Multiple television replays clearly showed that Regin legally played the puck with his stick and should not have been penalized.

What made the situation extremely vexing for the Senators was that they were already shorthanded, so this egregious call by O’Rourke put them two men short for almost a full two minutes. And not surprisingly, it took just a few seconds for the Lightning’s talented power play to find the back of the net in a 5-on-3 situation.......
......The problem is, there’s no way for us to find out if O’Rourke believed he was 120 per cent certain on that play because the referees are not made available to answer questions from the media after an NHL game.

... at some point, direct answers from the referees should be demanded by the players, coaches and general managers. Tuesday was a perfect example of a night where the officials had a direct impact on the outcome of the game, but those of us covering the event could not get a single comment or explanation from the men in stripes. A referee should be made to answer two or three questions after every game in an effort to ensure transparency. On Tuesday, a simple explanation from O’Rourke or his partner Mike Hasenfratz would have gone a long way in helping to accurately paint the picture of what happened on the ice.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I like Ian Mendez, I really do (I'm pretty sure he's on HF too)

But it's just a bad call, there's nothing to say or do about it. He called Delay of Game on Bishop and that was also complete BS as well: it was an even-up call.

We don't need to hear from the refs because all it would be is "at the time I blew the whistle I thought I was right"; what else could they say?

The refs have had a very tough year but it's been a crazy one for everyone; let the refs sort out their stuff.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
The refs should not be above criticism. And this year they are terrible.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
This is more than a missed or ghost minor penalty call. It was a wrong call made from across the ice to put a team down 2 skaters for a full 2 minutes. And the rash of apparently face-saving calls, back and forth, were ridiculous.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I like Ian Mendez, I really do (I'm pretty sure he's on HF too)

But it's just a bad call, there's nothing to say or do about it. He called Delay of Game on Bishop and that was also complete BS as well: it was an even-up call.

We don't need to hear from the refs because all it would be is "at the time I blew the whistle I thought I was right"; what else could they say?

The refs have had a very tough year but it's been a crazy one for everyone; let the refs sort out their stuff.

The difference in the delay of game call against Bishop is the ref was judging intent (did Bishop purposely dislodge the net). It certainly was advantageous for Bishop to dislodge it at that time, but I doubt he did it on purpose, but at least I can understand that it was a judgment call. The one against Regin was just wrong. It probably appeared from his angle to be the right one, but from 40+ feet away, that's one he should have just let go. Truth be told both should have been let go.

I can't say there seemed to be any one-sidedness to the officiating though, it was just bad start to finish.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Bishop knocking the net off for a delay of game is the same as the puck over the glass. You didn't mean to do it, but you will have to pay the price.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Bishop knocking the net off for a delay of game is the same as the puck over the glass. You didn't mean to do it, but you will have to pay the price.

Unless you are Alyn McCauley.

Time to go punch a wall.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
The reffing in general across the league has been ABSOLUTELY atrocious.

And frankly, when it is bad across the board, and when calls are changing the game (ie. no goal called in Mtl game, or leading to a PP in last seconds of the game), they should be accountable for it. I don't know many jobs that you can screw up so badly and consistently that you don't get some form of discipline for it.

That said, players shouldn't let these ****** calls screw them up either, but rather just light a flame under them to push harder. And I typically don't like blaming refs for losses. You can still win games when ****** calls are made.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
The reffing in general across the league has been ABSOLUTELY atrocious.

And frankly, when it is bad across the board, and when calls are changing the game (ie. no goal called in Mtl game, or leading to a PP in last seconds of the game), they should be accountable for it. I don't know many jobs that you can screw up so badly and consistently that you don't get some form of discipline for it.

That said, players shouldn't let these ****** calls screw them up either, but rather just light a flame under them to push harder. And I typically don't like blaming refs for losses. You can still win games when ****** calls are made.

Yeah, when it comes down to it, the reffing was awful, but ultimately, it's up to the guys to respond, and they didn't.

Milan the God*

In the event that a goalpost is deliberately displaced by a defending player, prior to the puck crossing the goal line between the normal position of the goalposts, the Referee shallassess a minor penalty for delaying the game if the attacking player has not yet taken the shot or in the act of taking the shot at the open net (see 63.6).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26355

The rules say you have to "deliberately" knock the net off of play. I don't think Bishop did it intentionally as he was falling.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The rules say you have to "deliberately" knock the net off of play. I don't think Bishop did it intentionally as he was falling.

Watching the replay, Bishop regains his balance and then falls into the post.

Hard to say he deliberately knocked it off, but it took away a scoring chance. I would have made that call if I were the referee.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I just always go by the assumption that we'll have to beat the other team AND the refs every night, and so every win is all the much sweeter.

TristanH

Apr 22, 2012
Ottawa
I've got a feeling the sens will come out flying tomorrow night and end this slump! Lets hope Michalek laces up the skates and gets back into the lineup! GO SENS!!!

Bazel5

Apr 4, 2011
Kerry Fraser weighing in on the Regin penalty:

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=420395

He pretty much acknowledges the error and suggests this approach which I definitely support:

"I am going to present a suggestion on your behalf that I hope will be considered as a training exercise for the NHL Officials. Whenever a puck is shot over the glass by a defending player from within this defending zone the Officials usually gather for a consultation to make sure the puck was not deflected and an accurate call is made.

The same consultation should take place when a team is about to be penalized for a faceoff violation; especially one that results in a second penalty! The closest Official to a play of this nature is the Linesman that conducts the faceoff. He should always remain focused on the actions of the two centers after dropping the puck to best determine if a hand was used to win the draw. He is generally standing right over top of the two centers and looking down on the action.

We have seen that this method is not always fool proof when earlier in the season a puck that bounced upward from the Linesman's 'faulty' drop deflected off a center man's glove and was deemed to have been batted/played with a hand. This resulted in an incorrect face-off violation being assessed by that Linesman. That play, along with Peter Regin's clean face-off win further verifies the need for a quick consultation by the Officials to provide input from all angles and reduce the risk of making an incorrect call."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad