GDT: Sens @ Lightning | Tuesday April 9 | Part 2

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013
Been pissed off all morning cause of this.

Is there any video of the Regin-call? That was absolutely ridiculous

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Death to cats at least! Obviously, we were entirely unlucky last night - cats certainly did not bring good mojo.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Is there a reason we shouldn't be?

Honest question. I'm not trying to be provocative.

Because he's not the problem?

He wins draws, hits, skates hard 200 feet of the rink. He actually had some nice plays with the puck last night, but the he had Neil or Greening to finish his feeds.

What exactly is the problem people have with him? because I've honestly never seen it- since he's stopped taking moronic penalties, that is.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Yep Smith actually played really well a little while back when he was handling 1C duties. He hasn't been very good since, but the same can be said for Turris. I mean Turris was better tonight than in his last few, but he's still painfully bad on faceoffs.

I guess the positive thing is that we outplayed the other team tonight, and if it wasn't for O'Rourke we'd likely have gone to OT or snagged a W.

Even when Smith was doing a decent job on the number 1 line, coach decided to blow it up for no apparent reason at all. He kept getting bounced around (multiple times in a game) and many times being stuck with no hands, legs, hockey sense Neil. Then he kind of shut down. Neil has that effect on basically every line. I have no idea why he gets so much ice time. Greening has been total garbage to though.

For some reason when Turris goes to sleep coach keeps playing him. When other guys do that they get tossed on the D line. Once and a while he should be taken out of that spot.

And Gonchar is clearly suffering from some sort of leg injury.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Because he's not the problem?

He wins draws, hits, skates hard 200 feet of the rink. He actually had some nice plays with the puck last night, but the he had Neil or Greening to finish his feeds.

What exactly is the problem people have with him? because I've honestly never seen it- since he's stopped taking moronic penalties, that is.
Smith is one of my favorite players on the team, loved his game last year. But he's been soft and ineffective this year. Last night was the best I've seen him in a while though, so I hope it sparks him. I kinda wonder if one games as a healthy scratch might be in order - not because JOB is better, but because a return of early 2011-12 Smith would be amazing for the rest of the season.

But I absolutely agree with the sentiment that he's handcuffed on that line. One of Greening and Neil would be okay (both are good in corners/along the boards) but you need to give Smitty an offensive guy to play with.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Most teams have that extra gear for this time of year. We've been using ours since Spezza and then Karlsson went down. We do not have an extra, extra gear it seems.

This group has overachieved all season to date, and its been fun to watch. Unfortunbately I see a really tired group.

Trading Bishop (even just for his shootout wins) was a loss. If we were doing that, Gonchar should have gone as well. While Conacher is an interesting return for Bishop, Murray did not go all in; or all out (Gonchar, others).

I agree MacLean missed a couple of opportunities to help; and the refs were amazing to say the least.

and as for Karlsson coming back ?? Really think he shoould take the time to heal completely. Cowen and Spezza // Same deal.

Been a good year considering. In the off season, clean house for guys like Hoffman, Stone, and others to get their looks and continue the rebuild into year three. There are some useful pieces no question, but there are others in the way of developing the guys we really have targetted to play.

Turris is not a 1C, and I'm not even sure he's our 2C with the development of Zibanejad. It might be interesting, as some have said, to try Turris on the wing. With Spezza's back next year, Turris takes the draws some of the time at least. Love to see us trade up for Monahan.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
Note to PP coaches. WATCH THE LAST GOAL to see what puck movement should be. USE the back door play...mixed with deception...give and go. Three of the best players in the world know how to do it. Sad but pretty.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Gonchar had his worst game in a long time, and I cringe whenever Phillips and Benoit are out there.

Silfverberg still has too much SEL in his game- it's the downside to spending last year there. He developed his skills during his monster year, but also some habits that aren't effective over here. You may be able to stop along the boards and wait for something to develop there, but not here. Anyway I think he'll get there, I just get frustrated with him sometimes because he seems tentative.

Of course there's the Regin call and all the TB non-calls on top of that...

Last edited:

take a peek

Mar 4, 2007
Definitely a disappointing loss on a few levels.

Holy reffing, words cannot describe, it really did cost them the game this time (5 on 3call, and Conacher hook vs. Stamkos dive)....

....But also, come on boys you got to play more disciplined.

It almost seems like they were told that most of the guys are coming back and went into cruise control and were trying to be fancy and not use hard work before this game. Luckily over the past couple they have improved greatly, they did look hungry and have woken up, which is a big plus.

Anderson has looked good, not quite pre injury amazing, but no reason he wont get there.

Please remove Neil from all power play tactics.

Turris line was going good.

A Michalek and/or Cowen would be huge, not only their addition but pushing other guys into more suitable roles.

PK has got to be better, especially in the third, is that 2 or 3 games where a late/semi-late pk has cost them the game. JOB here please.

Disappointed that the Lightning were running around a bit out there, with not much recourse. If the refs not gonna protect you, and allow late/dirty/high hits then you gotta put out some of your own, and not after the game is over. Neil, Smith, Greening looking at you...get greasy out there...

Anyways, no chicken little here as they look to be back on their way to playing good hockey again...on to Philly!!

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Definitely a disappointing loss on a few levels.

Holy reffing, words cannot describe, it really did cost them the game this time (5 on 3call, and Conacher hook vs. Stamkos dive)....

....But also, come on boys you got to play more disciplined.

It almost seems like they were told that most of the guys are coming back and went into cruise control and were trying to be fancy and not use hard work before this game. Luckily over the past couple they have improved greatly, they did look hungry and have woken up, which is a big plus.

Anderson has looked good, not quite pre injury amazing, but no reason he wont get there.

Please remove Neil from all power play tactics.

Turris line was going good.

A Michalek and/or Cowen would be huge, not only their addition but pushing other guys into more suitable roles.

PK has got to be better, especially in the third, is that 2 or 3 games where a late/semi-late pk has cost them the game. JOB here please.

Disappointed that the Lightning were running around a bit out there, with not much recourse. If the refs not gonna protect you, and allow late/dirty/high hits then you gotta put out some of your own, and not after the game is over. Neil, Smith, Greening looking at you.

Anyways, no chicken little here as they look to be back on their way to playing good hockey again...on to Philly!!

We need Cowen. He's steady in our own zone and can actually separate players from the puck. He'd be a massive boost. I really hope his return is imminent.

BadMcFadden

Aug 17, 2011
I thought our top line looked real good for most of the game, especially the 3rd period. It's been a while since I've seen turris/alfie/lats generate that many opportunities.

I thought smith and gonchar were both awful last night. A lot of Pejorative Slured passes and passes to nobody.

Sad to take the loss and annoyed by the reffing, but the team looked better than it has in a while imo.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Been pissed off all morning cause of this.

Is there any video of the Regin-call? That was absolutely ridiculous

No video, but here is a picture

XuH1TZo.png

***** O'Rourke....I love how sure of himself he was with that call. Smug POS. I wish many diseases upon his head.

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
Per the HFBoards FAQ:

... unless you are under 13 years old, in which case your account will be deleted:

For any other inquiries about these sorts of things, don't hesitate to send a friendly PM our way.

If he's 13 years old with a drinking problem, I think posting stuff he shouldn't be is the least of his worries right now.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
If coach stache doesn't scratch Kassian I'm gonna flip out. He's so useless and prevents us from rolling 4 lines all game long. That should definitely be the first step. Someone brought up Daug and I agree, he seems like the guy that coulda helped boost the morale of the team on and off the ice

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
These Philly and NJ games are huge, I won't start panicking until those games are over. Hopefully we can take 3/4 points or something at the very least. I think we play Philly last game of the season too? That could end up being a pretty big matchup.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
Zibanejad or Smith need to start getting first line minutes in place of Turris... Turris FO% is horrendous. Put him on the wing.

That is why I wanted to see Turris playing Spezza's wing and let Mika be the #2C.

If coach stache doesn't scratch Kassian I'm gonna flip out. He's so useless and prevents us from rolling 4 lines all game long. That should definitely be the first step. Someone brought up Daug and I agree, he seems like the guy that coulda helped boost the morale of the team on and off the ice

problem is that the next game is against Philly. The last game against them is the reason why we got Kassian. But I agree that he should've been scratched before..

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
And... with a losing streak the quality of posting goes drastically down.

I'd rather stay away, that'd be just too much work. Leave the youth say stupid things I guess.

That being said, the amount of frustration this game provided is astounding. wow

Impossible to address every call or non-call the Sens got screwed on (not enough bandwidth on this site) but why don't refs just call penalties for the 2 sides on the Gonchar hook? Stamkos clearly dove. Don't have the balls to call both teams? Wtf?

We literally got screwed of 2-4 pts in a 48 games season... Nice

Ok going to quote at least 1 post, just for the form :)

I thought our top line looked real good for most of the game, especially the 3rd period. It's been a while since I've seen turris/alfie/lats generate that many opportunities.

I thought smith and gonchar were both awful last night. A lot of Pejorative Slured passes and passes to nobody.

Sad to take the loss and annoyed by the reffing, but the team looked better than it has in a while imo.

Both Gonchar penalties really sucked but he played a very good game outside of that. You didn't like his penalties (accordingly so) and maybe you are biased so you will generalize the rest of his game. I saw him break up so many TB scoring chances with subtle stick work. Check the game again more closely and you'll see.

Last edited:

great1

Nov 13, 2009
Fergus, Ontario
"Believe me, it wasn’t that hard. I didn’t try and kill the guy....I hit him in the wrist and he went down like he was killed." - Sergei Gonchar

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
As bad as this whole situation is, if we take Thursday, then Jersey on Friday, we are looking a whole lot better.

5 of our last 6 games are at home.

Let breathe people....

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
"Believe me, it wasn’t that hard. I didn’t try and kill the guy....I hit him in the wrist and he went down like he was killed." - Sergei Gonchar

True, he looked like he was shot. But it still was a penalty.

The bogus closing the hand on the puck penalty did us in.
Other than that, there was a lot of penalties, but I thought the refs called everything pretty fair.

We were our own enemy last night.

Shec8576

Feb 14, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
The entire Lightning team pissed me off last night. Diving and selling penalties like a bunch of circus freaks. They are a horrible hockey team who are complete failures and they were handed a meaningless win last night by the worst officiating anyone could ever imagine.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Incredible amount of whining on these boards. Comments are golden after a 5th loss in a row

Fixed

True, he looked like he was shot. But it still was a penalty.

The bogus closing the hand on the puck penalty did us in.
Other than that, there was a lot of penalties, but I thought the refs called everything pretty fair.

We were our own enemy last night.

Yes it was still a penalty. And Stamkos acting like he was shot should have been as well. Instead he scored the GWG on the PP. That's the issue. We didn't do that to ourselves.

Milan the God*

Sergei Gonchar on his penalty: @ian_mendes: "Believe me, it wasn’t that hard. I didn’t try and kill the guy....I hit him in the wrist and he went down like he was killed.â€

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad