Pre-Game Talk: SENS in Vegas, Sunday 8:30pm

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He gets chances every game, which is what may keep him up.

I know most here are very excited for Formenton and he's an interesting player to watch because of his speed but I see no situation where he stays up past the 9 game mark.

He still has a lot to work on right now to be where he needs to be. He's fast but that's not enough to play here in front of Chlapik who's several steps ahead. Even Batherson should get a shot, their game is more suited for what we need right now. Formenton is a good complimentary piece, but we need guys that can make plays right now and Formenton isn't there yet. His overall game is lacking IMO.

I'd send him down let him play and even next season I would probably give him games in Belleville.

Reactions: aragorn

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I was surprised that he was kicked out of the game. Do they have to declare intent to injure for that to happen? He could have just got the 5
42.5 - When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed

42.6 - When a major penalty and a game misconduct is assessed for a foul resulting in and injury to the face or head of an opponent, an automatic fine of one hundred dollars shall be imposed.

If deemed appropriate, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion.

Reactions: coladin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I know most here are very excited for Formenton and he's an interesting player to watch because of his speed but I see no situation where he stays up past the 9 game mark.

He still has a lot to work on right now to be where he needs to be. He's fast but that's not enough to play here in front of Chlapik who's several steps ahead. Even Batherson should get a shot, their game is more suited for what we need right now. Formenton is a good complimentary piece, but we need guys that can make plays right now and Formenton isn't there yet. His overall game is lacking IMO.

I'd send him down let him play and even next season I would probably give him games in Belleville.

Your are probably right. I just worry that he uses his speed to run around 16 year olds in junior, and maybe not develop the finer aspects as he would here.

Reactions: Boud

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Your are probably right. I just worry that he uses his speed to run around 16 year olds in junior, and maybe not develop the finer aspects as he would here.

I agree with you on this, unfortunately Guy Boucher will be the one who ultimately decides and from what I have seen, GB doesn't like to play Formenton all that often, even though on a rebuilding team who does not have a chance at a sniff of the playoffs, he should be played more than Pyatt and Paajaarvi and if the coach will not even use him and his ridiculous speed in a 3 v 3 situation, may as well send him back to London.

Reactions: aragorn

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
I agree with you, but I don't think he came from a poor angle. I think Eakin wasn't looking. Anyways I'm interested to see how this plays out, especially the video explanation.

I'm also very confused as to how hits from behind seem to be legal now and not worthy of any extra discipline.

This is what's really bothering me in the league for the last few years. There is no leeway for hard hits to the chest. If the player seems hurt or is slow to get up, it's a head shot regardless if the refs can confirm it even happened.
On the flip side, checks to the back get a blind eye or maybe 2 min if lucky, yet they are equally dangerous. Many use the excuse that you should not put yourself in that position, yet the same should be said for guys who admire their passes or are not aware of what's ahead of you in open ice.

Maybe I'm a little old school and love the hard hits, but mainly just want logical consistency on what's dangerous.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

he hasn't even dominated juniors yet with his speed. id love for him to use his speed more its his biggest weapon and aside from getting to pucks first he doesn't know what to do with it much

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I have trouble pinning down Formenton (due to his speed, no doubt!), and I wonder if he himself shares that trouble. Is he a speed + finesse type? Not sure, unless he develops more puck-handling skills and finish. He has some sandpaper, and as he develops more muscle and strength he could be more of a 3rd liner pest with some offensive punch on counter attacks.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

It's the problem/challenge with sending him back to junior, I agree. It's definitely the reason why he's still up here. It's always a dilemma with guys that can't go in the AHL but have paid their dues in juniors.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why can't Formenton go to the AHL?
because of the CHL transfer agreement that aims to keep talent in that league. He needs to turn 20 prior to 1 Jan of the season to be eligible, or be drafted out of a different league.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Formenton is an example of why speed isn't the only thing that is important in the NHL today & is somewhat over hyped on here. While he can blow by some opponents he has yet to register a goal because of it & Ottawa ends up with another fast guy who can't finish, at least not yet it seems. I would like to see him returned to junior to work on scoring goals, putting up pts, protecting the puck better, working on his puck handling skills, deflecting pucks in front of the net, passing skills, vision & hockey IQ.

I assume if he returns to junior than chances are he will play in the WJC & get a lot of good exposure & experience & hopefully some confidence to score more goals. Formenton is much faster than Tkachuk for example but most I think by now will agree that the slower Tkachuk is a much better all around hockey player & point producer than Formenton. I think most would take the slower Tkachuk over the faster Formenton any day, if they only had one choice between them. Speed isn't everything, Stone has proven that.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
IMO this should have been 5 and a game... There is an actual name for this penalty unlike Boro's "major"

This really pisses me off. That hit is easily worse than both Boro hits. Not only was Boro penalized more in-game for his hits, but got suspension(s) on top of it. No one is even talking about potentially giving Chabot a concussion with that hit from behind.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Maybe this suspension, not deserving, will make this idiot think twice about running around for hits and actually try to play defense

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
You're okay with him skating across one end of the ice, out of position, to the other side to make a hit?

Most of his hits are not like that, he's usually catching someone on his side. The one from last night would have resulted in a scoring chance if he wasn't jumped by Merill.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Most of his hits are not like that, he's usually catching someone on his side. The one from last night would have resulted in a scoring chance if he wasn't jumped by Merill.
Do you ever wonder why he's so gassed after every shift?

Running up the ice to throw a hit and then having to skate back hard to position all the time will do that to you

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad