Pre-Game Talk: SENS in Vegas, Sunday 8:30pm

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Another hearing for Boro confirmed. Suspension incoming.

I guess they called this an illegal hit to the head as per rule 48.1
Now Rule 48.1 declares an illegal check to the head as “a hit resulting in contact with an opponent’s head where the head was the main point of contact and such contact to the head was avoidable.”
.. There is lots on the interweb if you are interested in more info.
If called on the ice this is a major and a game, there is no minor.
I think its reckless but that is almost a synonym for Boro. Bad angle on the hit. Bad result. I don't think his head was the principle point of contact nor was his head targeted but .. an accidental high stick to face is called high sticking. There is very little tolerance. Maybe we get Wolanin in a game soon.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
How is that a reckless hit? He was clearly trying to wake the team the f*** up

Eakins is skating with the puck and him seperating the puck from eakin almost led to a goal except for the fact of merill attacking boro

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
How is that a reckless hit? He was clearly trying to wake the team the **** up

Eakins is skating with the puck and him seperating the puck from eakin almost led to a goal except for the fact of merill attacking boro
What does one have to do with the other?

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Do you guys think Formenton will play with the Sens this season or get sent down to thr knights before the 10 game mark?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I have no doubt that Stone will still be a valuable player at 31-32, so I have no problem giving him 6-7 years now. It'll totally be worth getting 5 more good years of Stone even if he slows down in the last year of two.

It's impossible to tell, it's not like Stone never had injuries. I doubt he would sign 6 years in Ottawa anyway. Other teams can offer him 7 years at ~ 8.0 AAV on the UFA market, he can choose to go almost anywhere he would like. So if negotiations with the Sens are not going where he wants them to be, he might just ask to be traded to a team where he could sign an extension with. Many teams will be ready to take the risk with Stone because they are not "financially" scared.

Note that he would start his long term contract at the age of 27 (Ryan was 28 y/o when he started his 7 years contract) so a 8 years deal bring him to 35 years old. Injuries as he ages into his 30's could make him less effective, in the same fashion as Ryan. High end skill will always be there but quickness and skating can deteriorate through age and injuries, just like Ryan, just like Kovalev, just like Heatley, just like Havlat, just like Michalek, just like Gaborik, etc. All guys that were amazing younger but time and injuries made them less effective in their early 30's

All that being said, I want the team to take that risk and sign Stone to a 8 years contract, even if he ends up overpaid in the second part of the contract. To compete in this league, you have to be ready to overpay and/or live with the consequences of long-term contracts.

Look at Mtl..

I don't see how that roster is more talented then ours, at least on paper. But you know what they do well?

Skating
Skating fast
Passing is mostly tape to tape. Is there a team that has to clear the puck as much as the Sens? It seems we are almost never in control, aside from a few player.
Also, by watching a lot of game.. how many puck do we pass to the front of the net blindly with none of our player there..
All these reverse play on the board to... no one..

Just for two example that came to mind last night.

1. Pyatt on the forcheck, there is a change I believe, he get to the puck first and pass it to his left.. But there is nobody he was alone.. Why not get to the puck and try to protect it until the other come? Easy to say from my computer and nobody skating at me, but that's their job.

2. Colin White does a good play starting the cycle with Boedker and Ryan.. Mostly Ryan.
White give it to Ryan who skate it and gave it back to White who has pressure skating the right board who send it down behind the goal line because that's the only play available but Boedker is standing in front of the net, not ready to go to that pass.. The puck was out immediatly. That's simple hockey.. But they are not doing it..

I hope, that with time.. This team will be able to make 3 pass in a row WITH CONTROL of the puck.

Yeah I easily take the Sens roster and prospects over the Habs but they are damn well coached and their work ethic is irreproachable. Julien, Ducharme, Bouchard, Waite, Burrows, Richardson... their coaching staff is scary good. Also, their goalies are a lot more stable and consistent, don't give nearly as many bad goals as ours do.

We need Tkachuk and Pageau back to have a better forward group. Chlapik is NHL ready so he should also be there as well. I saw some people say that it is good to finally have a good 4th line but seriously, I don't find it good at all. This is what I want to happen as fast as possible (unfortunately Pageau is still out for a while), but before the end of the year :

Tkachuk-Duchene-White : Duchene and White seem to develop chemistry, White's game is growing fast. Tkachuk is also young but I think this line could dominate. If BT can keep playing like he did in the 4 games he played, he's already an impact player.

Ryan-Tierney-Stone : Ryan needs to play with players with skill and high IQ. It wouldn't be the fastest line but speed is not their game, it would be a cerebral line that would be able to make consecutive passes and create space in many different ways. Stone makes his linemates better so it would be the best way to optimize Ryan and Tierney.

Dzingel-Pageau-Boedker : speed and ability to make plays. That line can defend and counter-attack. That's 3 guys who can put ~ 40 pts, which would be great for a 3rd line.

Paul-Smith-Paajarvi : Smith could thrive in that role, that line role would be to forecheck like crazy, big bodies, some speed and not soft ala Pyatt.

Formenton in junior. Brown, Batherson, Balcers still developing in Belleville. Chlapik first call-up (or graduates full time IF Dzingel is traded)

If the plan is to keep Duchene and Stone and it is possible, Dzingel should be traded (as he is UFA anyway and will look for a good raise) with Ceci for an upgrade on defense. Their value won't ever be better as they are still young and they are becoming too expensive. Get a good D-man that has shutdown ability. Add a prospect or a pick if needed, but get the best D-man possible.

Dzingel + Ceci + 2nd could net you something good, no?

Chabot-Jaros
Lajoie-Ceci
Wolanin-DeMelo
Harpur

Boro and Wideman need to be gone. Problem is still the same, not enough experience and shutdown ability in that group. Dzingel + Ceci + x to get a good D-man that could play with Chabot so you'd have :

Chabot-Good
Lajoie-Jaros
Wolanin-DeMelo
Harpur

Anderson
Solid

Andy is still capable of very good games but he needs a solid goalie to support him.

So the 2 priorities would be to get a solid goalie and a good D-man with high shutdown ability and would fit with the "rebuild" (not too old). Actually, very similar to when Bryan Murray traded for Marc Methot. Dzingel (Foligno) + Ceci should be enough for Dorion to get a good D-man, no?

Reactions: DrEasy and Vprime

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
What does one have to do with the other?
reckless to me means he wasn't thinking but i think he knew he wanted to get his team going by making a good play there which imo was the perfect time.

I don't know what else he could have done differently there but he will probably get suspended at this point for hitting too hard

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
This is basically a precedent setting suspension, by definition of the rules Boro does not do anything wrong. I almost wonder if the PA would appeal anything that comes down, for what it's worth it's a phone hearing so will be less than 5 games.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This is basically a precedent setting suspension, by definition of the rules Boro does not do anything wrong. I almost wonder if the PA would appeal anything that comes down, for what it's worth it's a phone hearing so will be less than 5 games.
No, the PA will not be appealing anything about this, whatsoever.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
reckless to me means he wasn't thinking but i think he knew he wanted to get his team going by making a good play there which imo was the perfect time.

I don't know what else he could have done differently there but he will probably get suspended at this point for hitting too hard

They will review it.. if its just hitting too hard, he won't be suspended. If on the other hand they consider it
"First, whether the player attempted to hit squarely through the opponent’s body and the head was not “picked” as a result of poor timing, poor angle of approach or unnecessary extension of the body upward or outward." he will get suspended. In other words .. If the head was hit and the angle of Boro's approach left Eakin vulnerable to not being able to protect himself or see him coming according to DOPS .. he will most likely get suspended.

To me the reason its reckless is where he is coming from to make that hit...Its not in his lane ..he comes across the ice a good distance to lay him out. Not that I have anything really against that style of play but the league wants that kind of "reckless" , irresponsible if you will, behavior gone.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Lemme give the other team a PP so I can get my team going while they're being dominated. Logic checks out.

Reactions: BondraTime

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
They will review it.. if its just hitting too hard, he won't be suspended. If on the other hand they consider it
"First, whether the player attempted to hit squarely through the opponent’s body and the head was not “picked” as a result of poor timing, poor angle of approach or unnecessary extension of the body upward or outward." he will get suspended. In other words .. If the head was hit and the angle of Boro's approach left Eakin vulnerable to not being able to protect himself or see him coming according to DOPS .. he will most likely get suspended.

To me the reason its reckless is where he is coming from to make that hit...Its not in his lane ..he comes across the ice a good distance to lay him out. Not that I have anything really against that style of play but the league wants that kind of "reckless" , irresponsible if you will, behavior gone.

I agree with you, but I don't think he came from a poor angle. I think Eakin wasn't looking. Anyways I'm interested to see how this plays out, especially the video explanation.

I'm also very confused as to how hits from behind seem to be legal now and not worthy of any extra discipline.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
shouldnt have been a penalty
They called it charging. I have a hard time arguing it wasn't a charge. He came from the opposite blue line to the face off circle for absolutely no reason. I don't think it was a hit to the head but that was a charge that resulted in an injury so the right call was made.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
The hit on Chabot should also be a suspension too. Principle point of contact was head to glass

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'm still pissed about the hit what a joke of a game that was. Calling a penalty after the fact lmao

I'm still pissed about he Paajarvi hit a few games go that cut him, and not even 2 minutes . Gallagher on Boro. Formenton takes a punch, a headshot, gets concussed, and nothing. This team is getting screwed by the refs, and this typically happens with the weak teams. I remember when the Sens were trying to shed the doormat image back in 1996. They couldn't get any calls back then. I remember Cunneyworth calling out the refs on it too.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
5 for that charge was somewhat excessive but Boro isnt going to get any benefit of the doubt at this stage of his career.

I was surprised that he was kicked out of the game. Do they have to declare intent to injure for that to happen? He could have just got the 5

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Yeah every time is on the ice. He created thing with is speed. I m agree missing finish but when he score a goal the confidence come back.

Reactions: coladin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad