Pre-Game Talk: SENS in Toronto Sat. 7:00 pm on SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Karlsson, his game, his leadership is hardly to blame in Ottawa. If anything, the Sens have been overachieving the past few years on outstanding group chemistry from the Hammond run to the ECF run and it's fairly obvious the Turris for Duchene swap was a demoralizing disruption that ultimately unraveled everything.

That makes no sense though, unless we were the most fragile team in the league. It's not like we traded away our best player, or made a surprise move, these are professionals and Turris was coming up on the end of his contract. The team falling apart after trading away a good player for a better player is not a defendable excuse.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Karlsson, his game, his leadership is hardly to blame in Ottawa. If anything, the Sens have been overachieving the past few years on outstanding group chemistry from the Hammond run to the ECF run and it's fairly obvious the Turris for Duchene swap was a demoralizing disruption that ultimately unraveled everything.

Always seems like there's an influx of posters I don't see in GDT's whenever we play a certain team...can't figure out why

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Methot, Turris and MacArthur are missed big time. On the ice and off.

Reactions: DrEasy

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Karlsson is human. This is his second major recovery from injury, and he isn't even sure if his ankle will ever get back to normal. He's angry, frustrated, and tired.

There were several incidents this game where I saw Erik working his ass off, and at least 3 other skaters standing around watching the play (the empty net goal, and a goal in the first period). Erik has put the team on his shoulders for a few years...but he simply can't do it all himself right now with his ankle. Time for Atlas to shrug and some of his teammates to pick up that boulder for awhile and carry the load. That is what a good team does....hell, they did it nicely against Nashville. How did that disappear so quickly this game?

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Just like Andy, Condon had little support but he looked better. The guys might have been more energized early on if Condon had started and played the same game he did the rest of the way after he took over. From Condon's standpoint it's only 2-2 plus an en goal.

Edit:
I have to fix my numbers about Condon above. Since Condon took over later in the 1st with the score 3-0 for Tor, discounting the empty netter Condon actually won his part of the game 3-2 but since the Sens scored 3 ( a technical tie) I wonder if he gets tagged with the loss.

Last edited:

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
The line-matching by Babcock killed us tonight. They managed to completely neutralize the Duchene line. The Stone-Brassard line had its offensive moments, but they were guilty of defensive mistakes. That's when our defense should be able to pick up the slack, but they were completely exposed tonight.

It's in a game like this that Methot is missed the most. That stabilizing presence, the calm, the strength, the mistake-free play.

Another very noticeable difference is that when we have the puck in the O-zone, it's usually just our 3 forwards kind of left alone to fend for themselves (Toronto in contrast has a 5-man presence in our zone). Sure, Karlsson is there too, but when he's there things are fairly chaotic (which can be a good thing sometimes: to score goals it's not a bad thing to be unpredictable). But we don't have the kind of point guy who pinches in, provides a passing outlet, can move the puck around quickly, can be a shooting threat, just keep things simple and effective. We have each of these things individually in each defenseman, but the whole package is missing (Chabot should get there soon hopefully).

Amazingly, Boro seems to be the closest to the complete package these days. That's good for Boro and a bad sign for the rest of our defense.

If we want to compete again soon, we need a major upgrade to our top 4 defense.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
You do know that the Sun chain is part of the Postmedia chain, that includes the Citizen ....... and about 70% of the articles in the Ottawa Sun also appear in the Citizen, verbatim?

Yes, I do know that.

I also know that the Citizen has been utter garbage ever since the Sunmedia merger, but the paper has honestly been terrible for the better part of almost two decades. The paper sucked almost immediately after Southam sold it to CanWest in 2000, and became even worse as it adopted tabloid style journalism after it's acquisition by PostMedia in 2009.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Chabot looked very good tonight. Very active with the puck.
Another point.
Skating on point.
Active in the dzone.

That player will be more then an offensive Dman. I hope he become a very solid all around dman. He is ery aware defensively. I like that.

Reactions: Alex1234

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I did not see this game but I laughed out loud when I saw Oduya on the first goal.
Seems like it was a pathetic effort overall tonight? Or at least an awful start.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I did not see this game but I laughed out loud when I saw Oduya on the first goal.
Seems like it was a pathetic effort overall tonight? Or at least an awful start.

First period was very poor, rest of the game wasn't terrible. Not a great effort overall.

Reactions: Deku

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I only saw the 3rd and once we got the 2nd goal, Brassard just missed on a wraparound among other good chances . That goes in and Toronto is in trouble.

That team needs some serious help back there but forwards and goalie are very good.

Ho hum, team is a sad group of pros that are playing out the string, playing with attention that one would expect from a bunch of quitters.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Man Phaneuf is gonna get worse and worse and by the estimated Seattle expansion Phaneuf will have 1 year left on his contract, its pretty much a forced buyout at that point but will Melnyk do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad