Pre-Game Talk: SENS in the Meth lab! (Dallas, tonight 8:30 pm on TSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
And when he's winning Norris after Norris on a cup contender for years while making $12 million I hope you'll remember how you didn't want him at that price.

If the choice is between maybe being competitive or icing Karlsson + scrubs, it is an easy one to make.

It sucks but that's the reality of being a Sens fan.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Erik is just upping his trade value if he is to be traded.. If not better than great! He means so much to this team it will be dark days if they move him. This will be a cash decision on one end and a buy in or opt out decision on the other.

Epically large contracts are a huge problem for management.

I don't have a problem with having a ceiling concerning paying a single player.

I just hope it is a competitive ceiling. I am sure Karlsson does as well.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
If the choice is between maybe being competitive or icing Karlsson + scrubs, it is an easy one to make.

I'm not ready to capitulate to Melnyk's cheapness. If he really wanted to ice a competitive team he'd give EK what he wants, get rid of the excess baggage(Burrows, Gaborik, Ryan) and retool around the core.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm not ready to capitulate to Melnyk's cheapness. If he really wanted to ice a competitive team he'd give EK what he wants, get rid of the excess baggage(Burrows, Gaborik, Ryan) and retool around the core.

Burrows is hardly an impediment, he makes peanuts. He won't be the reason we can't afford Karlsson.

Gaborik and Ryan are other stories. But the truth of matter is dumping them is not an option: Ryan's contract is essentially buyout proof (signing bonus) and Gaborik is still owed a lot of money even if we do buy him out (plz retire Marian?!?).

Asking for us to dump bad contracts "for free" isn't being reasonable. And I don't mean to be harsh here.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Burrows is hardly an impediment, he makes peanuts. He won't be the reason we can't afford Karlsson.

Gaborik and Ryan are other stories. But the truth of matter is dumping them is not an option: Ryan's contract is essentially buyout proof (signing bonus) and Gaborik is still owed a lot of money even if we do buy him out (plz retire Marian?!?).

Asking for us to dump bad contracts "for free" isn't being reasonable. And I don't mean to be harsh here.

Burrows makes a good amount of money for a fringe 4th liner, his salary does hurt the team.

As for Ryan and Gaborik, if being stuck with them means losing EK, than Dorion and Melnyk have failed completely as an organisation. Plenty of teams manage to compete with elite players making elite money.

Reactions: Cath

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Exactly. I don't see why people see another reality to this. Dorion said he will make EK an offer. My guess is it will be around 10 M$ per year. If EK wants McDavid's money (he won't be worth it anymore IMO), then yes EK is going to be traded. It just depends if EK is greedy or not. ~10.5 M$ per year is already a lot of money lol.

I love EK but I'd rather go another route than pay him over 12 M$ per season.
Dorion said he make an offer, IF Karlsson was here on July 1st.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

According to Xspyrit, 10.5mil is Karlssons worth but 12mil is not. Thats a 1.5mil difference. Burrows eats that up.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Not according to the scoreboard!

I don't know if you watched the game, but man, he was a total liability defensively tonight and got called for two very very stupid penalties. That's what I'm talking about: He's lethal when shooting but he can cost in many other ways when he's having a night like this. Fortunately it isn't this bad every game and the good often outweighs the bad.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
And when he's winning Norris after Norris on a cup contender for years while making $12 million I hope you'll remember how you didn't want him at that price.

Well, with the kind of injuries EK has had, I seriously doubt he can play at that level again. Sure he's getting points but he has been horrible defensively this year. I guess we'll see this year but I need if he can play at an elite level on both sides of the puck.

Carey Price extension kicks in next season, 10.5 per year. It screws them big. I know we're comparing goalies and D-men but EK at 12 M$ needs to be elite all over the ice. It's very risk for the next 8 years.

Dorion said he make an offer, IF Karlsson was here on July 1st.

Really? lol I know... I guess I'm different, in the sense that I react AFTER things happen and don't put much stock in speculation and rumors (that are mostly being generated by Toronto's medias)

Yes EK could be traded at the draft (basically the only time before July 1st), but it would (well, should) be for a king's ransom. If not, Dorion didn't do his job correctly. It depends on how far a team is ready to go.

So, I reiterate, 99% chance Ottawa will make an offer to Erik Karlsson on July 1st.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
According to Xspyrit, 10.5mil is Karlssons worth but 12mil is not. Thats a 1.5mil difference. Burrows eats that up.

lol there's a ton of crazy opinions on this board, but I can't have this one? You make it sound like it was really ridiculous

Yes it's my opinion. I take EK at 10.5, but not at 12.0.

Maybe if Ottawa was able to spend to the cap, bury contracts, buy out players, retain salary consistently, take money back in trades, invest more in coaching, management, scouting, etc. I would think differently, but it hasn't been the case for a decade.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
How about we wait and see how Erik finishes the season? He seems to be slowly getting back to himself....maybe he might make a full recovery.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If you're a but at team, having a few elite talents eating up big dollars to play the prime roles on your, that's good business imo. Nashville and Anaheim are good examples of this.

You need guys to carry your team. Cutting costs on those guys is not the way to go. Cutting costs on the Smiths and Burrows of the world is.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
lol there's a ton of crazy opinions on this board, but I can't have this one? You make it sound like it was really ridiculous

Yes it's my opinion. I take EK at 10.5, but not at 12.0.

Maybe if Ottawa was able to spend to the cap, bury contracts, buy out players, retain salary consistently, take money back in trades, invest more in coaching, management, scouting, etc. I would think differently, but it hasn't been the case for a decade.

I wouldn't take EK at 12 either. I think part of the plan will depend on the lottery balls. They'll have multiple plans. What do we do if we get 1OA 2OA 3OA and so on.

Erik looks like he is returning to form. His skating has looked better the past 10 games. If they move him it'll be after careful consideration and a lot of discussion.

Bonk has done a lot of homework explaining the Ryan contract. I think Bobby is a top 6 with a heavy contract but still a top 6 calibre player. Buying him out or retaining to move the contract then looking at replacement costs there really isn't a lot of upside to it. The only way I'd end up pissed off if they trade EK is if the bundle the two of them and reduce the return.

If we move EK solo I'd want young top 6 and top 4, prospects and picks.

And I won't ring it up to cheapness if they do it. I don't like giving up the best player in a deal but going long term with Erik at his age and injury history presents some risk.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Really? lol I know... I guess I'm different, in the sense that I react AFTER things happen and don't put much stock in speculation and rumors (that are mostly being generated by Toronto's medias)

Yes EK could be traded at the draft (basically the only time before July 1st), but it would (well, should) be for a king's ransom. If not, Dorion didn't do his job correctly. It depends on how far a team is ready to go.

So, I reiterate, 99% chance Ottawa will make an offer to Erik Karlsson on July 1st.
Consider that Dorion has full control over Karlsson being here on July 1st I believe his choice of words is rather important.

I don't share your optimism on Dorion getting a quality return should he choose to move EK.

Karlsson is returning to form and the only question should be his willingness to sign, not the number on the contract.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
So HYPOTHETICALLY Sens get 1st overall after the lottery...

A) Trade Dahlin + Ryan for scraps so that management can afford to re-sign Karlsson (he actually wants to stay)?
B) Draft Dahlin, keep Ryan (due to being unmovable) trade Karlsson for the BEST offer you can get?
C) Draft Dahlin, package Ryan + Karlsson for an underwhelming return?

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa

A) Trade Dahlin + Ryan for scraps so that management can afford to re-sign Karlsson (he actually wants to stay)?
B) Draft Dahlin, keep Ryan (due to being unmovable) trade Karlsson for the BEST offer you can get?
We should really stop hoping for Dahlin. Be realistic. The waywe are playing we might endup with 6th or 7th overall which will hurt us.

CTC

Oct 9, 2014

Which is bullshit, if the Pens can ice the team they have at the contract cap %'s they ran with for years and win the cups they have....there really is no reason why we shouldn't be able to carry one 10-12 million dollar contract.
They just need to actually manage the contracts that are signed!

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

D) Keep all of them and ice a competitive team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad