Pre-Game Talk: SENS in Nashville, 8:00pm on TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
We are incredibly lucky to have him as you state, but no one will pay to see him. They are better off trading him and keep the savings and rebuild. If the building was full then there would be no way to trade him. There is no attendance pressure to keep him.

Spending 10+ a year on him with 14k people in the stands makes no business sense.

Hope he stays but there is no financial incentive to do so. Attendance will be even worse next year. Fans are abandoning the team.

Lol do you have any idea how many fans will be in the stands if EK leaves?

A lot of people pay to see him. If Karlsson leaves might as well pack shit and move the team to Quebec. And honestly that's such a weak argument, they will need to sign 2 top 4 defensemen to replace EK and we live in an era where Brendan Smith gets paid 4.25M. Might wanna think a bit more.

Paying EK 10+ is a f***ing no brainer. It should be so obvious to anyone that we should sign him that I don't even understand why it needs to be explained. Look around, look at the contracts players are getting. Average defensemen like Karl Alzner are getting paid 5M. I would take 1 EK over 4 Alzners. Look at Milan Lucic, Kyle Okposo, Loui Eriksson, Andrew Ladd, Brooks Orpik, Jeff Petry, Johnny Boychuk, Marc Staal, Tobias Enstrom, Tyler Myers, Andrej Sekera, Alex Goligoski, Zack Bogosian, Danny Dekeyser, Jason Garrison.. How many examples do you need to realize that it's easily worth it to pay EK what he deserves. Average players nowadays get paid a lot of money, we don't need average players, we need a gamebreaker and that is Erik Karlsson.

The reality is if EK is traded and we want to ice a competitive team we WILL STILL NEED TO SPEND THAT MONEY ELSEWHERE and there's a very strong chance we end up paying a UFA a stupid amount of money he will never even live up to like we did with Bobby Ryan. Great plan. Yes love it.

Last edited:

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
There was a financial incentive to keep Gretzky - Edmonton still traded him. If EK gets traded it sure as hell won't be due to the attendance issues the franchise currently has.

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
There was a financial incentive to keep Gretzky - Edmonton still traded him. If EK gets traded it sure as hell won't be due to the attendance issues the franchise currently has.
With all due respect, Edmonton had a much different team compared to Ottawa...they even went on to win another cup without Gretzky. You could actually make a good argument that trading Karlsson could be directly related to attendance issues just based on what we know about Melnyk's mindset.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
As a Preds fan I'd like to apologize for subjecting you to that absurd Woooooo!! bullshit. It happens occasionally and most of us hate it. My friend rooting for the Preds muted his TV and listened to music instead.

Reactions: MrCraigAnderson

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

A lot of people pay to see him. If Karlsson leaves might as well pack **** and move the team to Quebec. And honestly that's such a weak argument, they will need to sign 2 top 4 defensemen to replace EK and we live in an era where Brendan Smith gets paid 4.25M. Might wanna think a bit more.

Paying EK 10+ is a ****ing no brainer. It should be so obvious to anyone that we should sign him that I don't even understand why it needs to be explained. Look around, look at the contracts players are getting. Average defensemen like Karl Alzner are getting paid 5M. I would take 1 EK over 4 Alzners. Look at Milan Lucic, Kyle Okposo, Loui Eriksson, Andrew Ladd, Brooks Orpik, Jeff Petry, Johnny Boychuk, Marc Staal, Tobias Enstrom, Tyler Myers, Andrej Sekera, Alex Goligoski, Zack Bogosian, Danny Dekeyser, Jason Garrison.. How many examples do you need to realize that it's easily worth it to pay EK what he deserves. Average players nowadays get paid a lot of money, we don't need average players, we need a gamebreaker and that is Erik Karlsson.

The reality is if EK is traded and we want to ice a competitive team we WILL STILL NEED TO SPEND THAT MONEY ELSEWHERE and there's a very strong chance we end up paying a UFA a stupid amount of money he will never even live up to like we did with Bobby Ryan. Great plan. Yes love it.

There is no incentive to build a competitive team. Why? Even when competitive cheapest seats at playoff games are unsold.

Paying Karlsson 10+ is far from a no brainer. He ruined the game tonight singlehandedly, for example. On top of the fact season tickets are going badly , he won't spend 10+ without adequate revenues .

Hope I'm wrong

Reactions: SensFactor

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
There is no incentive to build a competitive team. Why? Even when competitive cheapest seats at playoff games are unsold.

Paying Karlsson 10+ is far from a no brainer. He ruined the game tonight singlehandedly, for example. On top of the fact season tickets are going badly , he won't spend 10+ without adequate revenues .

Hope I'm wrong
What is this? How can anyone be this wrong?

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
EK at 10m I’m ok with, at 12m you trade him. I’m sure Dorion already has a good idea what he’s looking for. EK for something like Serg, Point and a First lets us also sign another good UFA D for the same money spent and accelerates the rebuild.

Depends on the dollars and I’m sure Dorion already knows the number

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

A lot of people pay to see him. If Karlsson leaves might as well pack **** and move the team to Quebec. And honestly that's such a weak argument, they will need to sign 2 top 4 defensemen to replace EK and we live in an era where Brendan Smith gets paid 4.25M. Might wanna think a bit more.

Paying EK 10+ is a ****ing no brainer. It should be so obvious to anyone that we should sign him that I don't even understand why it needs to be explained. Look around, look at the contracts players are getting. Average defensemen like Karl Alzner are getting paid 5M. I would take 1 EK over 4 Alzners. Look at Milan Lucic, Kyle Okposo, Loui Eriksson, Andrew Ladd, Brooks Orpik, Jeff Petry, Johnny Boychuk, Marc Staal, Tobias Enstrom, Tyler Myers, Andrej Sekera, Alex Goligoski, Zack Bogosian, Danny Dekeyser, Jason Garrison.. How many examples do you need to realize that it's easily worth it to pay EK what he deserves. Average players nowadays get paid a lot of money, we don't need average players, we need a gamebreaker and that is Erik Karlsson.

Well thanks for saving me the trouble of responding to those stupid comments. :D

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

hey I admire your passion but you know that building was full for many years pre EK and fans will come post EK.

the risk with any superstar is the term. I scanned the list of guys you listed. how many of them live up to their deals?

depends what happens at the draft and then what the deal is. Without a doubt I can see a trade EK scenario that works out for us. 8 years is a long time. It's an eternity if he's putting up -27 every year

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
We have won without him before and we will win again. When is a team just one player? Sorry but I don't agree with that logic. Management wouldn't be considering trading him and listening to offers whether good offers or not if they didn't at least see that he is expendable.
30 other teams dont have Ek
27 of them do better then us
For the right package
Im not sure we finish dead last next year

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We are incredibly lucky to have him as you state, but no one will pay to see him. They are better off trading him and keep the savings and rebuild. If the building was full then there would be no way to trade him. There is no attendance pressure to keep him.

Spending 10+ a year on him with 14k people in the stands makes no business sense.

Hope he stays but there is no financial incentive to do so. Attendance will be even worse next year. Fans are abandoning the team.

yeah, what better way to earn fans back than by trading off the best player the franchise has ever seen. You talk about fan's sense of entitlement but you know, teams aren't entitled to fans, they need to earn them to. It's a two way street, you commit to the fans, they commit to you. A team starts talking about relocation and trading off the best players the franchise has ever known to save money, and the fans get cold feet.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Not sure why Pageau has never gotten a good look as the front of the net presence on the PP. Seems ideally suited for the job.

Generally too small to do on a game by game basis. Its a position that gets beat up pretty bad.

Gallagher does it, so its possible, but usually its the big guys that can take the cross checks t the back that play this spot.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
yeah, what better way to earn fans back than by trading off the best player the franchise has ever seen. You talk about fan's sense of entitlement but you know, teams aren't entitled to fans, they need to earn them to. It's a two way street, you commit to the fans, they commit to you. A team starts talking about relocation and trading off the best players the franchise has ever known to save money, and the fans get cold feet.
Agreed
I would like to keep him
Just saying it wont happen unfortunatly
And we will be competitive next year despite it

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
EK -2
Anderson .878

Leaders stood up
I heard it from a quality source that even Bobby Orr had games where he was a minus, and the great Patrick Roy occasionally had games with poor sv%. I mean, the source is rock solid, but it's pretty crazy hard to believe, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad