Pre-Game Talk: SENS in la belle Province (Ontario), Saturday night 7:00 pm

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I always found Karlsson far too hesitant on the PP. I don't consider him an elite PP player (but of course still a great shot and great passing ability, which allow him to get a lot of points). To me, he is an EV beast.

Must have been. Who was Wideman's partner on the PP? Don't know why we didn't see more of a Phaneuf-Karlsson pairing on the PP.

Wideman :

Frequency Strength Line
59.17% PP WIDEMAN,CHRIS (probably means that Hoffman was on the point)
20.00% PP PHANEUF,DION - WIDEMAN,CHRIS
16.67% PP KARLSSON,ERIK - WIDEMAN,CHRIS
2.50% PP CECI,CODY - WIDEMAN,CHRIS
1.67% PP CLAESSON,FREDRIK - WIDEMAN,CHRIS

Karlsson :

Frequency Strength Line
72.56% PP KARLSSON,ERIK (again, Hoffman?)
12.25% PP CHABOT,THOMAS - KARLSSON,ERIK
5.30% PP KARLSSON,ERIK - PHANEUF,DION
2.36% PP CLAESSON,FREDRIK - KARLSSON,ERIK
2.36% PP KARLSSON,ERIK - WIDEMAN,CHRIS
2.00% PP KARLSSON,ERIK - ODUYA,JOHNNY
1.06% PP CECI,CODY - KARLSSON,ERIK
1.06% PP BOROWIECKI,MARK - KARLSSON,ERIK
0.71% PP HARPUR,BEN - KARLSSON,ERIK
0.24% PP KARLSSON,ERIK - ODUYA,DAVID JOHNNY
0.12% PP KARLSSON,ERIK - WOLANIN,CHRISTIAN

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy and gab6511

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
No harpur on the ice this morning. Don’t know if it’s an injury or a decision that’s been made. McKenna on waivers alone though.

I think Harpur's the odd man out. Demelo being right handed gives him a leg up.

Maybe there's a trade coming with Harpur. There were 8 scouts at last night's game, so I wonder if there's a trade in the works. If they were cutting him straight up, would he not have been waived this morning?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Maybe there's a trade coming with Harpur. There were 8 scouts at last night's game, so I wonder if there's a trade in the works. If they were cutting him straight up, would he not have been waived this morning?

Yeah I was thinking that as well. Either he is just injured and needed the day or they are looking for a trade but the market seems saturated with fringe defenders at the moment.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Duchene and Stone are probably going to be PPG. Tkachuk could end up with 40+ points seeing as he'll be playing a lot with Stone and probably 7-95-61 will be put together every now and then (Smith sure as hell shouldn't be 2C for long).

I think Duchene and Ryan are clicking, and Ryan looks excited to play with him.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
This doesn't make sense to me logically speaking. Why would our PP be quicker on the zone entry after losing two of our best skaters, one of whom is one of the best passers in the NHL? Isn't it just that without Karlsson and Hoff our coach has to be more imaginative with whatever system he comes up with, to bring up the puck into the zone with speed through passes (rather, say, than let Karlsson do it alone), and to circulate it quickly in the O-zone with lots of options from everywhere?

Not everything had to run through Karlsson, and there was no reason the PP's sole aim had to be to set up Hoff for the one-timer. This is partially due to the coach's system, and partially due to the lack of better options.

Take whatever better system we're supposed to be having now, and replace two of the components with Karlsson and Hoff, and there's no reason why it shouldn't be a better PP. Now if Karlsson and/or Hoff can't (?) or refuse to play by this supposedly better system, then sure, you can reduce their role on the PP. We kept insisting on giving Karlsson the bulk of the PP duties, even though it wasn't working. We could have given Wideman a much larger share (and I kept saying that the last couple of years) if only to see if it could work. This is also on the coach, who preferred to even use Ceci on the 3 on 3 rather than Wideman.

sure logically it doesn't make sense. two fast guys. but Karlsson came up the ice painfully slow most of the time and it was a problem.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

Rosters have to be set by 5 PM on Tuesday, so tomorrow is the last day to waive somebody for that purpose.

Seems like the market is flooded with fringe/depth defensemen though. Connor Carrick, Slater Koekkoek, Gustav Olofsson, and Braydon Coburn are all available, and probably some others as well. Some of those players will probably be waived tomorrow. Not really sure there is any market for Harpur - he might even clear waivers.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Yeah but then there would be 2 young D watching in the press box, they'll probably send one down so they can get some ice time.
Meh, someone always gets hurt in the first game or two. Might not be bad idea to keep them around for the first couple weeks anyway just as a reward. Show them how close they are so they absolutely do anything to get back once sent down.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
can someone link me to the habs GDT? Wanted a few laughs, I cant seem to find it, only see post game and pregame talk on their board

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Yikes what. Do you think giving this guy a taste of nhl hockey is going to crumble his talent and confidence. He’s outplayed every single d man on our team this ore season. He should be playing for us.
Not a taste but having him make the team too early, that is exactly what could happen. Avoid another Lazar situation at all costs. I don't mind if they keep him here for a few games but it's still too early for a permanent spot on the team.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I'm really hopeful that Bobby has a healthy and productive season. He is way better than people give him credit for being.

Reactions: Cosmix

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Not a taste but having him make the team too early, that is exactly what could happen. Avoid another Lazar situation at all costs. I don't mind if they keep him here for a few games but it's still too early for a permanent spot on the team.
My goodness not everyone is lazar lmao. He’s not making it too early if he’s noticeable been one of the best d men on the ice all pre season. For either team.

Reactions: gab6511 and Deku

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You mean drafting a guy with 0 hockey I.Q? Because that's the reason Lazar failed, not because he was brought up too early.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
You mean drafting a guy with 0 hockey I.Q? Because that's the reason Lazar failed, not because he was brought up too early.
Most players should play in the minors before being in the NHL and Lazar was certainly one of them. Fans didn't like him much after he struggled and he ended up losing confidence, moving closer to home. He was rushed to the NHL and it was a mistake made by the Sens. In order to avoid that mistake again, call up your young guys when it feels kind of late rather than kind of early.

We're talking about Lajoie making the team before our first round pick makes it that was drafted 11th overall that same season. Be patient.

Reactions: Ed Wood

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Most players should play in the minors before being in the NHL and Lazar was certainly one of them. Fans didn't like him much after he struggled and he ended up losing confidence, moving closer to home. He was rushed to the NHL and it was a mistake made by the Sens. In order to avoid that mistake again, call up your young guys when it feels kind of late rather than kind of early.

We're talking about Lajoie making the team before our first round pick makes it that was drafted 11th overall that same season. Be patient.
Well, judging by draft pedigree is the first mistake. Brown most definitely needs AHL time, not sure what that has to do with other players making the jump?

There are literally dozens upon dozens of young guys (Lajoie is a year older than Brown) that make and excel in the league every year.

Lazar wasn't ruined because he was up too early. He wasn't ruined at all. He just couldn't, and never will, be able to think the game fast enough.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Lajoie earned a spot for now imo. Can't say he hasn't looked good. Its easy enough to send him down if it starts to be too much. Development isn't linear is what I can say about your Brown comment. Coaching and how the young players are handled through their mistakes is going to be really important. They should ship Crawford upstairs and get someone else behind the bench. Lazar ... Probably should have spent the 1st 5 years in the AHL and come up as a grinder. Who drafted him again?

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Well, judging by draft pedigree is the first mistake. Brown most definitely needs AHL time, not sure what that has to do with other players making the jump?

Literally dozens upon dozens of young guys (Lajoie is a year older than Brown) that make and excel in the league every year.
It's too early for both of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->