Pre-Game Talk: SENS in la belle Province (Ontario), Saturday night 7:00 pm

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Zmith is atrocious as the second line center, should not be even in the NHL at this point. Incoherent and unimaginative, with zero hockey IQ.
Tierney is nothing to look at, we have better players for this position in the system like Pageau, when he comes off the injured reserve. White should be centering the third line, Pageau 4th.
Second line duty belongs to Chlapik or Brown when he comes to his senses.
DeMelo should not by in the NHL, he was already heading to Europe. Why to stop him now?
Payatt should be in Europe as well.
Harpur should be put on wavers, management have to be smart and let other kids to develop. There is nothing there.
Dzingel. It is painfull to watch this player. Zero hockey IQ. Not making plays, oblivious of his teammates position on the ice. Not making himself available, or getting in a position for a better shot. Just making low percentage success shots from the perimeter. Unacceptable from the first line winger. Should be playing on the forth line at best.
Formenton is a work in progress. Outside of his speed has to learn how to cycle, make plays, how to enter offensive zone in a traffic. If he plays in the NHL, should already have skills to do that, but there are lot of plugs like him with speed in NHL. But his speed is an exceptional text book. And he is very useful. But some players never learn or have no IQ to learn, we will watch him, what is his ceiling would be.

Reactions: InAbsensia

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I was there last night, and my seats must be decent given that Chris Kelly and Shean Donovan were a few rows behind us. (Scouts like sitting up in the corners.)

First things first - good Lord are the Habs going to be bad. That's a shockingly bad lineup, and they just played with zero jam. Yeah, it's pre-season and all, but they're awful - we'll be better than the Habs and Canucks, I'm fairly sure.

That out of the way, I was most reassured by the play of Craig Anderson. He wasn't tested a ton, granted, but his movements and awareness looked like "good Craig" that we have seen in the past. When he struggles, he loses his net and looks oddly disconnected from the game. He looked much more dialed in and steady last night. We are going nowhere without a bounce back year from him.

Boedker finally woke up, and played a really solid game - he was creating all over the ice. I also really liked DeMelo's game - he might have been our strongest defenceman all night. Then again, even Harpur looked OK last night against that popgun Montreal forward group.

We'll need a lot of things to go right if we want to stay competitive - stay healthy, get good goaltending, have the rookies stand up to the rigours of a full NHL schedule - but if they do fall in place we might be able to hang around the edges of the playoff race. We are fortunate in that we might be in the weakest division overall - outside of the Leafs and Lightning, no one in the Atlantic really scares you much...

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I saw the game live.

One weird thing Chabot is really good at, he can flick the puck out of his own zone without icing it. I don't know, maybe it's a weird observation. But it seems like he's great at relieving pressure that way. I think he did it 2 or 3 times last game.

Lots of comments about "that #7 guy" from people around me. Tkachuk is incredibly noticeable. I was surprised when I came home to find he only played 12 minutes because whenever he is on the ice, he seems to make an impression. Maybe we should try him out with Duchene and allow Stone to drive his own line with Smith back at LW and Chlapik or White at center. Smith had his most success playing with Stone as a LWer, and even if Smith is a product of Stone, if we can get a line that plays as well as Smith-Pageau/Brassard-Stone have in the past, that would be a decent second line.

Formenton's speed is ridiculous. He's going to be a fan favourite very soon.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I was there last night, and my seats must be decent given that Chris Kelly and Shean Donovan were a few rows behind us. (Scouts like sitting up in the corners.)

First things first - good Lord are the Habs going to be bad. That's a shockingly bad lineup, and they just played with zero jam. Yeah, it's pre-season and all, but they're awful - we'll be better than the Habs and Canucks, I'm fairly sure.

That out of the way, I was most reassured by the play of Craig Anderson. He wasn't tested a ton, granted, but his movements and awareness looked like "good Craig" that we have seen in the past. When he struggles, he loses his net and looks oddly disconnected from the game. He looked much more dialed in and steady last night. We are going nowhere without a bounce back year from him.

Boedker finally woke up, and played a really solid game - he was creating all over the ice. I also really liked DeMelo's game - he might have been our strongest defenceman all night. Then again, even Harpur looked OK last night against that popgun Montreal forward group.

We'll need a lot of things to go right if we want to stay competitive - stay healthy, get good goaltending, have the rookies stand up to the rigours of a full NHL schedule - but if they do fall in place we might be able to hang around the edges of the playoff race. We are fortunate in that we might be in the weakest division overall - outside of the Leafs and Lightning, no one in the Atlantic really scares you much...

I thought Boedker had his moments in the offensive zone where he was noticeable.

The Canadiens were terrible. The ice was completely tilted all 2nd period. I paid 10 bucks for two tickets, so I can't be too picky, but this had to be one of the more boring games I've ever attended. They made us look like a Cup contender.

I think Anderson is capable of having a very solid season. Going back last year, people assumed his regression was due to his age. I don't think that's the case. He had way too many great high level games last year for me to think he's not still an NHL starter. There were consistency issues. I think the guy was probably exhausted considering his personal situation and our deep playoff run in 2017, and then the team in front of him made his job incredibly hard.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I'm not talking about specific player observations. That's what preseason is for. I'm talking about people saying we'll be much better than everyone thought this year because we had two wins in preseason, lol.
Virtually no Sens fan is talking playoffs. People are happy that some young guys are showing real promise. If the Sens get 70 points or above and they are not a complete sideshow 90% of the fans will be pleased.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Virtually no Sens fan is talking playoffs. People are happy that some young guys are showing real promise. If the Sens get 70 points or above and they are not a complete sideshow 90% of the fans will be pleased.

I'm hoping for 80-85 points and at least hanging around the playoff race for a while. That might be aiming high, but that's my goal.

I saw someone mention Tkachuk's 12 minutes. Yes, it's tempting to play him more than that, but to me Boucher is handling that just right - let's shelter the kid's minutes at least for now while he gets used to NHL competition and the grind of the schedule. He'll be ready for more soon enough, but let's go one step at a time. I am delighted he's in the NHL though, because he is clearly ready to be here - he wouldn't learn a thing in the OHL, and he would quickly outgrow Belleville also.

Reactions: derriko

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
No harpur on the ice this morning. Don’t know if it’s an injury or a decision that’s been made. McKenna on waivers alone though.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
That's because a D-man can't run the PP, at least from the point. The last time the Sens PP was above league average was 13-14 with Spezza, who was the last great PP forward the team has had.
Yes. Alternatively, Karlsson needed at least a partner on the point who could also be dangerous for his shot and playmaking.

Early last season when Karlsson was missing, Chabot and/or Wideman were doing pretty well on the PP. The coach just went with a simpler system, and things seemed to click for a while. Mind you, we've also since lost Turris and Hoff who were the only serious shooting threats we had on our PP.

Reactions: solidprospect

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yes. Alternatively, Karlsson needed at least a partner on the point who could also be dangerous for his shot and playmaking.

Early last season when Karlsson was missing, Chabot and/or Wideman were doing pretty well on the PP. The coach just went with a simpler system, and things seemed to click for a while. Mind you, we've also since lost Turris and Hoff who were the only serious shooting threats we had on our PP.
Chabot was in Belleville when Karlsson was missing.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Yeah I think most Sens fans are worried about having a 2014/2015 Buffalo Sabers season (54 points, -113 goal differential). I don't think 72-75 points is out of the realm of possibility, which would still put them around 6ish last. Just need the goalies to not be sub-replacement level

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Chabot was in Belleville when Karlsson was missing.
Yeah I wasn't too sure, hence the "and/or". The thing is that Wideman for sure was decent on the PP in Karlsson's absence, and I also seem to recall Chabot doing well during his first stint, when he was given some PP duties. Just wasn't sure sure if that was also during Karlsson's absence or not.

I think the point stands: the prob wasn't having Karlsson on the PP, but not giving him a good partner on the point, or skilled partners who could also be dangerous and draw some attention from the PK.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah I wasn't too sure, hence the "and/or". The thing is that Wideman for sure was decent on the PP in Karlsson's absence, and I also seem to recall Chabot doing well during his first stint, when he was given some PP duties. Just wasn't sure sure if that was also during Karlsson's absence or not.
Phaneuf was on PP1 to start least season wasn't he?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Must have been. Who was Wideman's partner on the PP? Don't know why we didn't see more of a Phaneuf-Karlsson pairing on the PP.
Ceci or Oduya if I was guessing.

Phaneuf-Hoff-Stone-Smith-Turris on PP1

Wideman-xxx-Dzingel-Ryan-Brassard on PP2

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

our PP has not been good for some time and EK was the primary guy bringing the puck up the ice. imo a large part of the problem with out pp was not attacking the blue line with speed and that was on Karlsson. I'd like to see a lot more speed while trying to enter the zone. we were also far too predictable trying to see up Hoffman. it's quite evident from player quotes that the loss of EK and Hoffman is being viewed positively from a pp point of view.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This need to happen at some point this year :

Top 6 Centers : Duchene, Chlapik/Brown

Top-6 Wingers : Stone, Tkachuk, Ryan, Formenton/Dzingel

3rd line Center : Tierney (until Pageau is back, I guess we’ll see after)

3rd line Wingers : Formenton/Dzingel, Boedker

4th line Center : McCormick/Paul

4th line Wingers : Paajarvi, Pyatt

Still developing in the AHL : Chlapik/Brown, White, Batherson, Balcers...

Smith won’t be needed anymore, best option to save more money (Melnyk is right but as usual his deadline to « lose » him is the worst timing as possible) so packaging him for a defenseman would help the team more than have him there. Deal him when one of Chlapik or Brown is ready (Chlapik looks ready or will be very soon)

There’s no point in not trying to have a decent season, since no 1st. Spending a bit more could actually be some sort of saving grace. You can’t tell me that this roster would look bad with Karlsson instead of DeMelo (assuming Pageau instead of Tierney), so since it happened they have to get a decent Top-4 RD

Smith + Harpur + whatever (could even be Sharks/Panthers 2nd) for an overpaid but Top-4 D-man (1-2 years left)

Chabot-Ceci
Lajoie-Top-4
Wolanin-Wideman
Borowiecki/DeMelo

Still developing in the AHL : Jaros...

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
our PP has not been good for some time and EK was the primary guy bringing the puck up the ice. imo a large part of the problem with out pp was not attacking the blue line with speed and that was on Karlsson. I'd like to see a lot more speed while trying to enter the zone. we were also far too predictable trying to see up Hoffman. it's quite evident from player quotes that the loss of EK and Hoffman is being viewed positively from a pp point of view.
This doesn't make sense to me logically speaking. Why would our PP be quicker on the zone entry after losing two of our best skaters, one of whom is one of the best passers in the NHL? Isn't it just that without Karlsson and Hoff our coach has to be more imaginative with whatever system he comes up with, to bring up the puck into the zone with speed through passes (rather, say, than let Karlsson do it alone), and to circulate it quickly in the O-zone with lots of options from everywhere?

Not everything had to run through Karlsson, and there was no reason the PP's sole aim had to be to set up Hoff for the one-timer. This is partially due to the coach's system, and partially due to the lack of better options.

Take whatever better system we're supposed to be having now, and replace two of the components with Karlsson and Hoff, and there's no reason why it shouldn't be a better PP. Now if Karlsson and/or Hoff can't (?) or refuse to play by this supposedly better system, then sure, you can reduce their role on the PP. We kept insisting on giving Karlsson the bulk of the PP duties, even though it wasn't working. We could have given Wideman a much larger share (and I kept saying that the last couple of years) if only to see if it could work. This is also on the coach, who preferred to even use Ceci on the 3 on 3 rather than Wideman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad