Post-Game Talk: SENS in Edmonton, Sat. 4:00 pm

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Rundblad, Cowen and Wiercioch all busted.

If we consider that Chabot is our Karlsson this time (obv Karlsson is better), are you saying Brannstrom, JBD, Jaros, Wolanin are gonna bust? Cause I highly doubt it. Those 4 are also a better group than Cowen/Rundblad/Wiercioch were imo.
If you consider the context of 2011, that 2011 group was probably better vs the 2019 group. Rundblad was considered a top 5 prospect in all of hockey after his unbelievable season in Sweden. Cowen was a top 10 pick and had an impressive showing on a Calder Cup team. Wiercioch wasn't where Wolanin was but he was a lot younger.

I'm not saying I think those guys are going to bust. I like all of them quite a bit but things change very quick. Our 2011 group was about as good as you can hope for. I feel like a number of these guys will be a big part of the future but I'm not willing to say that our D is gonna be the back bone of this team going forward. The only guys I'm 100% sold on are Chabot and Wolanin.

We still need a ton of quality here at every position. I don't think any group at a position here is contender worthy yet. Need a lottery pick type guy on D, C and a guy who can finish.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Rundblad, Cowen and Wiercioch all busted.

If we consider that Chabot is our Karlsson this time (obv Karlsson is better), are you saying Brannstrom, JBD, Jaros, Wolanin are gonna bust? Cause I highly doubt it. Those 4 are also a better group than Cowen/Rundblad/Wiercioch were imo.
I agree with you. This batch is better and mobile. Demelo was very good and solid, stable player. I like this group and they are improving . Every pairing will have a highly rated puck mover. The new Nashville

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I agree with you. This batch is better and mobile. Demelo was very good and solid, stable player. I like this group and they are improving . Every pairing will have a highly rated puck mover. The new Nashville

We're not even close to being Nashville good defense-wise, and I don't see it happening anytime soon.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Nashville has 2 Norris worthy D in Josi and Subban plus Ellis and Ekholm...Ottawa has a long way to go. Chabot and Brannstrom is a nice start however.

Adrianopolous

Oct 5, 2017
Delray Beach, Florida
For those in attendance how was the fan support for the Sens at the arena?

Seemed like a decent show up. Not as good as previous years but probably for obvious reasons
Not as good as the game last year (Oct 2017, pre shit storm) , but not too bad. I would say that this was the worst Sens fans turnout in Edm I've ever seen, and I've been to every single one since 06. There was still a good presence of Sens fans though, which is promising overall. I was a little dissappointed in the #'s, but the reason is obvious.

Reactions: Pierre in Orleans

Brannstorm

Feb 15, 2016
Ottawa
Nashville has 2 Norris worthy D in Josi and Subban plus Ellis and Ekholm...Ottawa has a long way to go. Chabot and Brannstrom is a nice start however.
True, but Nashville did lose to the jets last night 5-0 and since early in the year they are only winning half of their games. I am not saying it is because of their prime defence, it might have something to do with that Kyle Turris guy not performing very well.

That is one thing we do have, not only prime defence in Brann+Chabot+Wolanin we also have depth on offence like crazy.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

Subban definitely not looking that way this year.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
If you consider the context of 2011, that 2011 group was probably better vs the 2019 group. Rundblad was considered a top 5 prospect in all of hockey after his unbelievable season in Sweden. Cowen was a top 10 pick and had an impressive showing on a Calder Cup team. Wiercioch wasn't where Wolanin was but he was a lot younger.

I'm not saying I think those guys are going to bust. I like all of them quite a bit but things change very quick. Our 2011 group was about as good as you can hope for. I feel like a number of these guys will be a big part of the future but I'm not willing to say that our D is gonna be the back bone of this team going forward. The only guys I'm 100% sold on are Chabot and Wolanin.

We still need a ton of quality here at every position. I don't think any group at a position here is contender worthy yet. Need a lottery pick type guy on D, C and a guy who can finish.

With hindsight it’s easy to realize that Rundblad, Cowen and Wier all had deficiencies that were not compatible with the way the new NHL was trending, and that’s even moreso the case now. All relatively slow players both in their feet and in their decision making (Wier was a bit better in the decision making part but is slow and weak for his size).

You already admitted being sold on Wolanin and Chabot which means you think that’s already two potential top-4 dmen. Chabot is already there obviously, and Wolanin is pretty close imo.

When you look at Brannstrom and Jaros you see two completely different players but who will both carve solid roles on this team. Idk why you’re not sold on Brannstrom yet, maybe because you haven’t watched him play much but he can easily end up being a better version of Krug and Jaros has a unique blend of size and speed, and he has a good first pass and decent hands for someone that big. He’s kind of a right handed version of what we wished Cowen would be imo. Anyways only time will tell but I’m not worried about our D there’s a lot of potential there, especially if you’re high on Bernard-Docker as well. It’s the forwards that are more of a question mark mainly at center where you have a few guys with #2 potential (White, Norris, Tierney) but only one with #1 potential who is obviously a question mark as to whether he’ll reach it (Brown).

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
LDRDProjFSW
D1 (37% TOI)THOMAS.CHABOTDYLAN.DEMELO5.7
D2 (35% TOI)RYAN.ELLISCHRISTIAN.WOLANIN5.7
D3 (27% TOI)MARK.BOROWIECKICHRISTIAN.JAROS-2.4
Harpurceci?tychonick
ellis=branstrom estimatebernard-dockerlajoie
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Defense WAR
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
let's say brannstrom's & wolanin's war is actually somewhere around 2 next season for a team war total of roughly 6.00 from sens D

LDRDProjFSW
D1 (37% TOI)ROMAN.JOSIRYAN.ELLIS2.9
D2 (35% TOI)MATTIAS.EKHOLMP.K..SUBBAN1.4
D3 (27% TOI)MATT.IRWINYANNICK.WEBER1.5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Defense WAR
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Doesn't seem that far off but Nashville also has Rinne and 3+ above average lines.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Also, loved the way the 3vs3 went. Strudwick called it exactly. Pageau, DeMelo and Chabot neutralized McDavid, then we took over.

Lots of heroes in this game: Chabot (monster game)

When they showed the reply of Chabot skating backwards step with step to McDavid trying to pull away forwards, ugh, that was pure sexy - even if he was tugging on his shirt a bit.

Chabot is a freaking monster.

Reactions: DrEasy and coladin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad