Post-Game Talk: SENS in Edmonton, Sat. 4:00 pm

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I think all our young guys are showing flashes of skill. But they all need to be stronger. Tkachuk. Balcers. Abramov. They need to chow down some serious groceries this summer and hit the gym hard
We're obviously going to be physically dominated right now, it's men vs boys for the most part. That gap will shrink soon hopefully.

Reactions: DrEasy

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Very fun game and a satisfying win! I was particularly impressed by how our defense was able to contain the McDavid line as much as they did. It was a group effort defensively. Wonder if Ceci's absence had something to do with that?

Offensively passes reached their destinations more often and were received better. Wonder if Smith's absence had something to do with that?

And Boedker was completely invisible. Lost the puck on a cross check in middle ice that led to a goal during a line change.

It feels like the more of our current veterans we can remove from this team the better we will be.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Also, loved the way the 3vs3 went. Strudwick called it exactly. Pageau, DeMelo and Chabot neutralized McDavid, then we took over.

Lots of heroes in this game: Chabot (monster game), Tkachuk obviously, but also DeMelo (calm under pressure).

Duclair was dangerous every shift, and needs more ice time!

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
Don't get to go to too many live games so it was extremely nice to see Tkachuk book end the game...only myself and one other fan that I saw wearing his jersey at the game.
Chabot is something special, was easily the best player (along with McDavid) on the ice today. I mean he really stands out. So much better than everyone else it's almost silly.
Gibbons was buzzing around all night was happy to see him get one.
And Brady was just a pleasure to watch with and away from the puck as well...you can tell the kid has a solid hockey IQ...he made some really great no look passes a couple of times. If he can eventually get some linemates who can learn to anticipate what he's going to do with the puck he'll put up even more points...that and not fall down 3 times a shift-ha.
Overall fun game, great new barn..I was a little surprised that the Oiler fans really weren't all that loud cheering for their team...kinda tame honestly.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Lets just enjoy all the remaining wins we may get to end this season being that next season we will all be cheering for losses. Lol

Although if we do end up winning some games next season, i hope those wins all come against the Habs and Leafs.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
For those in attendance how was the fan support for the Sens at the arena?

Seemed like a decent show up. Not as good as previous years but probably for obvious reasons

Maybe a quarter of what other years have been. Significantly less.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
And that's why Tkachuk is the best forward on this team & the best pick in the last draft, he can do everything.

Whoa. We are all loving this kid's play this year but there is very little chance he ever comes close to being as valuable as Dahlin. That kid already has 40 points as an 18 year old D who plays all situations. He's a special player who has a chance to be the best defenseman of his generation.

Svechnikov is playing well in the midst of a playoff race too.

I'm loving BT's game but I'd probably still take Svechnikov over him. And I'd take Dahlin over him in a heartbeat. I'm pretty confident that every GM in the league would too.

Reactions: Deku and DrEasy

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
One thing I'm noticing is how much refs manage the game. Before that McDavid high stick the entire shift for the Oilers involved sticks in the mid sections of our puck carriers. One of them had the stick slashed out of his hand after the Oilers player turned it over. No calls. Nothing. A lot of interference as well.

But because we had 2 powerplays and Edmonton hadn't had any yet, you can't call any of that if you're a ref.

Reactions: aragorn

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
If there is no clear cut great choice for our next coach, I honestly wouldn't even be opposed to Crawford coming back to coach again next year - if a 1 year deal was all that was on the table.

I know theres that clip of him from last year where he was just blasting rookie Chabot on the bench. But other than that, everything I'm seeing so far is a veteran coach with some wisdom behind him now. he seems to have a great attitude, and hes able to genuinely take away some positives from each game, which is what a young group of inexperienced players need.

He strikes me as the type of coach that would be fully on board with the big picture philosophy of developing young players for future success - and not as focused on winning games at any cost right now (ie by overplaying vets).

By comparison, Boucher strikes me as the type of coach that would not be able to overlook losses nearly as easily, or be a cheer leader (so to speak) for the young guys.

Reactions: aragorn

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Very fun game and a satisfying win! I was particularly impressed by how our defense was able to contain the McDavid line as much as they did. It was a group effort defensively. Wonder if Ceci's absence had something to do with that?

Offensively passes reached their destinations more often and were received better. Wonder if Smith's absence had something to do with that?

And Boedker was completely invisible. Lost the puck on a cross check in middle ice that led to a goal during a line change.

It feels like the more of our current veterans we can remove from this team the better we will be.
:eek2::spud:

Reactions: beernuts and DrEasy

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Our defence will be the backbone of this team
I dunno about that. I like a lot of our guys but back in 2011 when we were rebuilding we had an aspiring back bone of Karlsson, Cowen, Rundblad and Wiercioch either on the team or in the pipe line and that was at least at the time, a much more impressive group. We still need to invest a ton more in our D.

Reactions: h2owned

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
My goodness does the Oilers roster ever suck after the (incredibly phenomenal) McDavid Draisaitl combo. I mean, wow... Just, wow.

Reactions: Icelevel

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I dunno about that. I like a lot of our guys but back in 2011 when we were rebuilding we had an aspiring back bone of Karlsson, Cowen, Rundblad and Wiercioch either on the team or in the pipe line and that was at least at the time, a much more impressive group. We still need to invest a ton more in our D.

Rundblad, Cowen and Wiercioch all busted.

If we consider that Chabot is our Karlsson this time (obv Karlsson is better), are you saying Brannstrom, JBD, Jaros, Wolanin are gonna bust? Cause I highly doubt it. Those 4 are also a better group than Cowen/Rundblad/Wiercioch were imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad