Pre-Game Talk: SENS in Buffalo, Wed 7:30pm on SN

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Anderson and Ceci have been baaaaad even if criticizing them here is at your own risk but CHABOT man Im excited to watch him play in 2-3 years
Hes so good to carry the puck in his 1st full season he's 1st pairing material Imo

Would love to see White have the same development curb

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
2 more meaningless games to suffer through.. Last year was pretty great though... I remember back in 2017 when we went to the ECF... Right now it feels like this memory will be something to hang on to for a while.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
So fitting for 14 to hit that empty netter, I expect him to play all world the next two games and be back to the complete and utter liability next season!

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
We might be hella-bad this year, but the Sabres are like the David Copperfield of tanking - We're so focused on trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat, and they're just sitting there making entire airplanes dissappear.

The worse team lost. Have to give credit where credit is due - we were bad, but they looked like the could have lost last night's game to the Dominican National Baseball team.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
We might be hella-bad this year, but the Sabres are like the David Copperfield of tanking - We're so focused on trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat, and they're just sitting there making entire airplanes dissappear.

The worse team lost. Have to give credit where credit is due - we were bad, but they looked like the could have lost last night's game to the Dominican National Baseball team.

Indeed, im pissed at myself that I didn't lay a few sheckles on last night, that was about as much as a pre-guaranteed win that this franchise has ever seen.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Here's my weak attempt at decrypting this Rorschach blotch: when Ceci is on the ice there's an excess (i.e., above average) number of shots coming from the point on Ceci's side (on both sides actually), which could possibly be blamed on forwards playing too low in Boucher's system. A lot of excess shots actually come from the other side, especially right in front of the net, which could then be mostly blamed on whoever is Ceci's partner?

Still, it's crazy that for a defenseman on a "shutdown" pairing we'd see such an excess of shots from right in front of the net. Just to trigger Burrowsaurus, there could be an explanation in the quality of the competition.

But I imagine that with a better defenseman, or a better defensive system, we'd see more blue than red on his side too...

Please feel free to correct my understanding of the chart!

It's a relative chart, so being on a terrible team in the first place means you're very likely to see a lot of red, regardless of who it is. As for lots of shots on the Left side, I guess the team pushes the play that way, so maybe it's too be expected. As a RD, his partner's don't include Karlsson, so that will hurt relative to other players. Phaneuf was his most frequent at around 400 of those mins, and he's second worst in terms of CA/60, but has move to a far better team at repressing shots, so he's since had a fair chunk of time to improve his numbers.

At the end of the day, I think most agree Ceci is in over his head as huge min crunching shutdown defender. I don't think there are too many dman out there that combines for more ES and PK TOI. The guys that do are a pretty damn elite list too; Doughty, Suter, Provorov, Slavin... We really need to dial back Ceci's mins, I honestly think part of the problem is the guy is fatigued. We lean on him because we've got nobody else to lean on, but there's only so much you can play a guy above where they should be slotted.

Reactions: topshelf15

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
2 more meaningless games to suffer through.. Last year was pretty great though... I remember back in 2017 when we went to the ECF... Right now it feels like this memory will be something to hang on to for a while.

The ECFs were less than a year ago.

As of now, I have little interest in watching the Playoffs, which begin in a week.

One goal ....:ha:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
None of those guys were as good as Chabot these past two years in their development and most importantly none of them were even close to being the caliber of skater Chabot is. He's well on his way to being a top D. We can't seriously hold his success against him in his rookie year. That's crazy.

You could certainly make a case for Rundblad’s development. It’s possible he becomes a top defensemen but we are likely a couple years away from that even being a thought. I’m not holding his success against him just suggesting 40 points and improved defensive play is expecting a lot for a defensemen in their sophomore year. There’s little doubt in my mind he becomes a solid top 4 defensmen with the potential to be even more. Right now though he’s that shiny new toy, his flaws are getting looked over because he is a rookie. Watching Erik Karlsson grow into the player he is has skewed the reality of development curves for defensemen.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
“Well the sens are the only team in the NHL that plays a system where they allow the opposition to have the puck as a strategy.”

LOL... that was hilarious. Thanks for the laugh!! :)
They don't for check as much as other teams and are taught to sit back and score off the counter attack. How else would you describe that strategy compared to the opposition? You've watched the team a substantial amount I assume. You haven't been able to identify this? Yikes.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
They don't for check as much as other teams and are taught to sit back and score off the counter attack. How else would you describe that strategy compared to the opposition? You've watched the team a substantial amount I assume. You haven't been able to identify this? Yikes.

Actually, I was agreeing with you. The way you described it was so accurate, it made me laugh.

We’re all frustrated from this season. I was trying to find light of the situation...

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Actually, I was agreeing with you. The way you described it was so accurate, it made me laugh.

We’re all frustrated from this season. I was trying to find light of the situation...
Oh Sorry, I misinterpreted. Well at least they really bottomed out. Like.if you're gonna be bad may as well be terrible. If the sens can keep the 2nd pick I'll be happy. The more I look into it the more it looks like there is a clear cut number 2. Svechnikov is the real deal.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Oh Sorry, I misinterpreted. Well at least they really bottomed out. Like.if you're gonna be bad may as well be terrible. If the sens can keep the 2nd pick I'll be happy. The more I look into it the more it looks like there is a clear cut number 2. Svechnikov is the real deal.

NP.

There are so many unknowns going on with this team between now and September, the way I look at it is we have no other way to go but up!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad