GDT: SENS in Boston, 7:00 pm on SN

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
I think it would be foolish to give up on Claesson now. I'd give up on Harpur first, he's way too timid for a guy his size.

I agree, I'm not sold on Harpur the same way as the rest of the organization. He hasn't really shown anything that would suggest to me that he's more than a fringe NHLer.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So..... what the hell has happened to Smith? I mean. Whoa.

Smith is a support player probably in the « wrong chair » because of injuries (MacArthur missing from the start, etc), players traded, etc.

Support players tend to look bad or worse on a bad team. Smith is the kind of player that needs to be surrounded by good players or just be on a good team (a good team is not just an addition of talent). It’s not a surprise he had his best season playing with Pageau and Stone.

That being said, he needs to start fresh so a change of scenery will do him good. Sens won’t need him anyway as they can replace him by a younger/cheaper guy (they have plenty of good forward prospects and they will need spots). Trade him for a pick, save money and that’s it. I like Smith but it’s a good timing to move him, he had a good career with the Sens for a 3rd round pick.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I agree with everything up until the veeerrry last part. To a LARGE extent? Not. Most of the other teams pressure came from our d not being able to quickly retrieve and move the puck. You can the forwards didn’t make themselves available but I think the issue was the movement from the D, (this has been an issue forever, if karlsson isn’t doing it, no one is doing it).

I mean ceci. Oduya, boro, claessen, harpur, all have serious issues with that. Then the pressure starts. And then it’s becomes a team issue.

But if we focus and puck movement from the back meaning acquire d men who’s strengths are movie the puck. I think it helps. A lot.

Edit : not even gonna correct the spelling here

Yeah I agree with you, don't disagree with anything you're saying - I just think that improvement in one area without improvement in the other will still leave us as a team that is not strong enough. Our forwards have been horrendous in the neutral zone this year and that is why our DMen are tasked with so many puck retrievals, imo. We were able to succeed when we took pressure off of our DMen and we failed brutally this year because we were porous through the neutral zone. When I say "large extent", I am not saying that it was largely the fault of the forwards. It was a team failure, in which every aspect of the team (fwd, g, d) MASSIVELY failed. P

That said, I think our D group is the easiest to fix (if Karlsson sticks around).

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
I agree, I'm not sold on Harpur the same way as the rest of the organization. He hasn't really shown anything that would suggest to me that he's more than a fringe NHLer.

Claesson was a real disappointment this year. I fear he's a career fringe player, not notably strong in any area. I was amazed that they gave Harpur a one-way deal after last year's playoffs, when he was OK against Boston but out of his depth against Rangers. He has a tough time with NHL speed. He skates OK for a big guy but hesitates and reacts very slowly to pressure. Frustratingly, he seems unwilling or unable to take advantage of his size. Nothing is certain, but Chabot and Wolanin both look very promising.

Reactions: NyQuil and RyCam

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
That's true, and having good puck moving defensemen can be a factor in that.
We have one of the best ones and another right behind him.....PMD isnt a weakness for this team...Having forwards that can actually help in the dzone and maintain possession of the puck longer than just just dump it in and change is....

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

By IPW:

Rb0AVsw.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad