GDT: SENS in Boston, 7:00 pm on SN

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Colorado up 1-0 on the Blues .. for the final playoff spot in the West. Girard has the only goal so far.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Listen to that thing from the NHL stats guy I posted in the Guy Boucher thread .. this team was dead last in Dzone time (meaning worst) and led the league in turnovers in their end.
recipe for disaster. I don't know how anybody can support Boucher after listening to that

I mean the guy was just citing stats.

Yes the Senators have been horrible across the board and yes it seems like it might be a pattern with Boucher.

I still hope we give him one more chance: final year of the contract, fire him if the next season starts poorly but don't hire yet another coach....

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Listen to that thing from the NHL stats guy I posted in the Guy Boucher thread .. this team was dead last in Dzone time (meaning worst) and led the league in turnovers in their end.
recipe for disaster. I don't know how anybody can support Boucher after listening to that

I went back 5 pages and didn’t see it. Not a surprise this team was the worst among in Dzone time. I imagine they were among the worst last season as well, I’ve spoke about this before and it is in large part due to the passive style in the defensive. The difference to me was the lack of commitment in the defensive zone this season.

Puck support was a huge problem this season, lots of guys expecting the puck to come to them rather than going towards the puck. My favourite example of this game in a mid season game against TBL when Dzingel and JT Brown (?) stepped out of the box there was a board battle just outside the Ottawa blue line. Brown went into the battle. Dzingel drifted toward the TBL blue line. JT brown got the puck deep in the Ottawa zone and eventually scored that shift.

Reactions: topshelf15

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I mean the guy was just citing stats.

Yes the Senators have been horrible across the board and yes it seems like it might be a pattern with Boucher.

I still hope we give him one more chance: final year of the contract, fire him if the next season starts poorly but don't hire yet another coach....

The thing is ,, you get off to a bad start , you may never recover.. the stats he was spouting are telling imo. If you are the worst team in ozone time and in dzone time .. you can't win unless you get over the top goal tending. Its not sustainable .. I think he made excellent points. I guess you have to be open to listening to someone that has nothing to gain by bashing anyone in Ottawa

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I went back 5 pages and didn’t see it. Not a surprise this team was the worst among in Dzone time. I imagine they were among the worst last season as well, I’ve spoke about this before and it is in large part due to the passive style in the defensive. The difference to me was the lack of commitment in the defensive zone this season.

Puck support was a huge problem this season, lots of guys expecting the puck to come to them rather than going towards the puck. My favourite example of this game in a mid season game against TBL when Dzingel and JT Brown (?) stepped out of the box there was a board battle just outside the Ottawa blue line. Brown went into the battle. Dzingel drifted toward the TBL blue line. JT brown got the puck deep in the Ottawa zone and eventually scored that shift.
It was on page 15 I think
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-120...-why-the-sens-struggled-this-season-1.1048819

I agree this is a team thing.. not just on the D.. but the D were not good.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Oh I agree the D weren’t good and the biggest issue with the group is moving the puck forward. I’ll have to give it a listen latter tonight, I assume it’s Mike Kelly.

Yup

I'll be honest, its mostly just piling on the Sens in that segment.

No wonder we have such an angry fanbase with that kind of stuff on the radio :laugh:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Yup

I'll be honest, its mostly just piling on the Sens in that segment.

No wonder we have such an angry fanbase with that kind of stuff on the radio :laugh:
I am not familiar with the themes of the segments... I just look at the topics and listen if they seem interesting.. mostly I just listen to Mcguire, and when they have bits for McKenzie and Lebrun

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Chlapik, White and Wolanin are all NHLers and hopefully regulars next season. All pretty good already. Claesson on the other hand...

Reactions: Deku

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Defense is not played solely by defencemen (at least on successful teams). Just like offense is not solely driven by forwards.

Our team defense was atrocious this year and that absolutely falls on the forwards to a large extent.
I agree with everything up until the veeerrry last part. To a LARGE extent? Not. Most of the other teams pressure came from our d not being able to quickly retrieve and move the puck. You can the forwards didn’t make themselves available but I think the issue was the movement from the D, (this has been an issue forever, if karlsson isn’t doing it, no one is doing it).

I mean ceci. Oduya, boro, claessen, harpur, all have serious issues with that. Then the pressure starts. And then it’s becomes a team issue.

But if we focus and puck movement from the back meaning acquire d men who’s strengths are movie the puck. I think it helps. A lot.

Edit : not even gonna correct the spelling here

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I am not familiar with the themes of the segments... I just look at the topics and listen if they seem interesting.. mostly I just listen to Mcguire, and when they have bits for McKenzie and Lebrun

I don't mean it in a completely negative way. Kelly's segment on Duchene when we got him was a memorable one and he went into details about what he looks for when compiling stats.

The piece on the Senators being absolutely terrible in time on offense and time on defense didn't feel like it said much. I was hoping for some granular analysis and instead got "lol Boucher is bad and the Sens were never good, just had great goaltending" which I think is a bit simplistic.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Chlapik, White and Wolanin are all NHLers and hopefully regulars next season. All pretty good already. Claesson on the other hand...

I think it would be foolish to give up on Claesson now. I'd give up on Harpur first, he's way too timid for a guy his size.

Reactions: RyCam

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It was on page 15 I think
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-120...-why-the-sens-struggled-this-season-1.1048819

I agree this is a team thing.. not just on the D.. but the D were not good.

As @Do Make Say Think mentioned it was a very simplistic analysis. Goaltending was good last season but they receive too much credit for the success last season. He mentions this team defended the most last season as well as this season but he doesn't dig any deeper than that and for a stats guy like Mike Kelly thats a little disappointing.

Ottawa was near the bottom of the league in CA/60 last season and this season but here is a major difference, last season they were middle of the pack in SA/60 but this year they were near the bottom. It gets more interesting when you look at shot charts.

mike kelly dumb1.png mike kelly dumb 2.png

Those are very similar except for one area, the area where most goals are scored. There's also some more interesting stats that Mike Kelly fails to mention. When you look at xGA/60, Ottawa ranked 14th, this year they are 26th when you combine that with SV% where Ottawa ranked 10th last season but this season they are 31st. Goaltending did help last year but to say this is essentially the same team minus the goaltending is completely wrong.

I'm not a big advanced stats guy personally but its surprising Mike Kelly would over look some of the stats I mentioned. If he is suggesting last years team defended this poorly last year he should just quit now, clearly he is out of his element. I dont know how you can look at this season and last and say now the difference is they aren't getting the goaltending.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
So, our defense being bad is more a result of the forwards being bad defensively than the people whose job it is to defend?

Got it.
So, our defense being bad is more a result of the forwards being bad defensively than the people whose job it is to defend?

Got it.
The easiest way to defend is to have the puck 200 feet from your net,and having the puck more than the team you are playing.....got it

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Only Sens with positive takeaway-giveaway differentials are:

Pyatt (+7)
Stone (+2)
Duchene (+1)

Brassard and Thompson were also positive differential players. Chlapik, too, but it's a pretty small sample size. Hopefully he can be just as good at puck management in a bigger role next year.
I look at a team like Pittsburgh.....Then I look at their blueline,its nothing special....Ditto Toronto...So how do they win?....

Having a stacked Blueline ,like say Carolina...Means nothing unless you have the forwards to go with it,we have two excellent PMD in Chabot and EK....Yet we still cant impose our will in the Ozone,this needs to change for us to have any hope of competing

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We spend far far to much time defending,not nearly enough time attacking

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I look at a team like Pittsburgh.....Then I look at their blueline,its nothing special....Ditto Toronto...So how do they win?....

Having a stacked Blueline ,like say Carolina...Means nothing unless you have the forwards to go with it,we have two excellent PMD in Chabot and EK....Yet we still cant impose our will in the Ozone,this needs to change for us to have any hope of competing

is the issue that we cannot impose our will in the o zone or is it that we don't attempt to?

personally I find we rarely have the forecheck pressure and are far too often outmanned down low which results in loss of possession / can' get possession and then the other team comes out

I think a lot of our issues are solvable with a change in tactics

Reactions: topshelf15

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->