Post-Game Talk: SENS in Beantown, Sat. 7:00pm

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
You got a thing vs Wolanin.. I just watched it again .. that is not true at all.. I am not sure what you'd expect him to do .. He has his side .. the has to maintain that position and Heinen cuts to the middle with too much space there.. Wolanin cannot defend the ice on the right and the middle at the same time.. at that time the play is too deep for him to commit out that high.. You think what you want and I am sure you will but ... that was not on Wolanin. I am not saying its on Ceci either ,, there was no support down the middle of the ice and their should have been. Paajarvi was in better position to impede that cut back than anyone

I don't have anything against anyone on this hockey team. I don't target any specific players, when something happens in the game and it's being portrayed in a way I don't agree with it usually when I offer my opinion. A lot of the time when I see something I don't like in a game I avoid using the players name.

Watch the reverse angle. The moment Boston regroups in the NZ is where Wolanin misses his read. He gets caught deep in the zone and starts moving to the strong side becuase he doesn't pick up the weakside outlet. He doesn't react till the pass is made and by the time Heinen gets the puck he is 20+ feet away. Paajarvi stays with his man but releases when he see's Wolanin in trouble and he does over commit a little but by that time it's already too late becuase Heinen has already started his move to the middle of the ice. You can't be 20+ feet away from your man when the play is entering the zone.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Balcers had more minutes in the 3rd than either the 1st or the 2nd. I'd really like to see him play up the lineup with White and Ryan/Duclair. He shows lots of flashes and he works hard. Not a lot of skill in the lineup to play with.

Guess the fact that our offensive pressure dried up and we only had 1 shot in the final 13-14 minutes made it seem like he wasn't out there much.

I agree he does work hard but on nights like these he probably should've played even less.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Guess the fact that our offensive pressure dried up and we only had 1 shot in the final 13-14 minutes made it seem like he wasn't out there much.

I agree he does work hard but on nights like these he probably should've played even less.

Nights like? Battling for a win ? I personally would like to see the young guys play at this point where there is nothing to win and nothing to lose.

Reactions: coladin

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't have anything against anyone on this hockey team. I don't target any specific players, when something happens in the game and it's being portrayed in a way I don't agree with it usually when I offer my opinion. A lot of the time when I see something I don't like in a game I avoid using the players name.

Watch the reverse angle. The moment Boston regroups in the NZ is where Wolanin misses his read. He gets caught deep in the zone and starts moving to the strong side becuase he doesn't pick up the weakside outlet. He doesn't react till the pass is made and by the time Heinen gets the puck he is 20+ feet away. Paajarvi stays with his man but releases when he see's Wolanin in trouble and he does over commit a little but by that time it's already too late becuase Heinen has already started his move to the middle of the ice. You can't be 20+ feet away from your man when the play is entering the zone.

I saw that .. and do not entirely disagree on the initial reaction to that quick cross ice pass that seemed to catch everyone off guard.. that's a good example of why defense is a hard position to play , and imo he did recover and gave Heinen no room from the top of the circles on the right side .. Paajarvi was in good position .. the C man and the other winger reacted slowly .. there is no reason for Heinen to be able to cut to the slot imo.. One of the other forwards should have tracked to that area of the ice. I would not lay it on Wolanin.

Reactions: h2

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I saw that .. and do not entirely disagree on the initial reaction to that quick cross ice pass that seemed to catch everyone off guard.. that's a good example of why defense is a hard position to play , and imo he did recover and gave Heinen no room from the top of the circles on the right side .. Paajarvi was in good position .. the C man and the other winger reacted slowly .. there is no reason for Heinen to be able to cut to the slot imo.. One of the other forwards should have tracked to that area of the ice. I would not lay it on Wolanin.

But that's the thing. Heinen is able to cut to the slot because Wolanin has poor gap control. He can't direct Heinen away from the middle of the ice because he is so far away and by the time he within reach he is flat footed and Heinen can easily avoid him. He was just a pylon on the play. It's a tough play on the regroup for the D because it has to be a quick read but it's some thing an NHL defender has to be able to do on a consistent basis. When Crawford mentioned he needs to play more like his dad, this is the kind of play he is talking about. Gap control is Wolanin's biggest issue right now. I'm not really concerned about it because he skates well enough that he should be able to overcome it.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
But that's the thing. Heinen is able to cut to the slot because Wolanin has poor gap control. He can't direct Heinen away from the middle of the ice because he is so far away and by the time he within reach he is flat footed and Heinen can easily avoid him. He was just a pylon on the play. It's a tough play on the regroup for the D because it has to be a quick read but it's some thing an NHL defender has to be able to do on a consistent basis. When Crawford mentioned he needs to play more like his dad, this is the kind of play he is talking about. Gap control is Wolanin's biggest issue right now. I'm not really concerned about it because he skates well enough that he should be able to overcome it.

Its all easy from the stands

Reactions: senswon

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Nights like? Battling for a win ? I personally would like to see the young guys play at this point where there is nothing to win and nothing to lose.

He was coughing up the puck left and right willy nilly and just didn't look comfortable out there. In the end I found the icetime well distributed though so it's not a huge issue.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
erik-gudbranson-2013-234.jpg

Just posting this here to humanize Ceci.

Before you guys decide to post, you should look at that picture of him. I understand that things get heated in game threads, but look at Ceci's picture above and realize he is a person too, then decide if you still think your comment is fair and level headed.
Ceci n'est pas Ceci.

Reactions: senswon

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Serious question...do you guys think that you have a single top-6 prospect in your prospect pool? Besides Tkachuk I really see nobody besides Batherson/Formenton, and Tkackuk doesn’t really count. Even then, Formenton and Batherson are for sure top-9 guys, and aren’t guaranteed top-6ers.

Being an Avs fan, I have experienced being in the basement and a complete laughing stock of the NHL, but I can’t imagine what you guys must feel like. The Avs didn’t have the ludicrous ownership/FO issues that you guys do. After this year I hope you guys get rid of your imbecile owner and gain some semblance of stability and hope. I really hope you guys turn it around next year and on...the league is way better when the Sens are putting a whooping to the cry baby Leafs!

Reactions: Liliaceae

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Serious question...do you guys think that you have a single top-6 prospect in your prospect pool? Besides Tkachuk I really see nobody besides Batherson/Formenton, and Tkackuk doesn’t really count. Even then, Formenton and Batherson are for sure top-9 guys, and aren’t guaranteed top-6ers.

Being an Avs fan, I have experienced being in the basement and a complete laughing stock of the NHL, but I can’t imagine what you guys must feel like. The Avs didn’t have the ludicrous ownership/FO issues that you guys do. After this year I hope you guys get rid of your imbecile owner and gain some semblance of stability and hope. I really hope you guys turn it around next year and on...the league is way better when the Sens are putting a whooping to the cry baby Leafs!

I would be surprised at this point if Batherson doesn't become at least a 2nd liner.
Brown has top six potential. Will he hit it? Who knows.
Abramov and Norris have an outside chance at top 6
Plus White is basically already top 6

Last edited:
Reactions: WaitingInVain

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

Why doesn't Tkachuk count? He's absolutely going to be a top line guy.

Batherson will be for sure as well, and I have a good feeling about Formenton topping out as a top-6 winger too. You can also put Colin White in that category. Brown might be a bit of a slow riser but he's trending in the right direction right now. There are 3-4 other kids that could also potentially be in our future top-6.

I mean, you ARE right that there doesn't seem to be a superstar ala Jack Hughes in there as it stands, but our prospect pool is pretty decent overall.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Just coming up with lines with our young guys (pure thought exercise), we have the following:

Tkachuk - White - Batherson <- nice balance of jam, scoring ability, defensive responsibility and puck possession. Could be a legit first line down the road.
Balcers - Brown - Duclair <- scary good offensively, scary bad defensively? in reality at least one young guy would be replaced by one vet on this line
Formenton - Norris - Abramov <- speed line. Could be a legit 3rd line down the road.
Paul - Chlapik - Davidsson <- this could be a gooood 4th line, though I know nothing about Davidsson

I'd say we can hope for 4 or 5 of the guys above to turn into legit top 6ers (Tkachuk, Batherson, White, Brown, maybe Norris or Abramov?). With normal ownership, of course we'd never run with just a bunch of young guys, and we'd supplement them with proper vets.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Why doesn't Tkachuk count? He's absolutely going to be a top line guy.

Batherson will be for sure as well, and I have a good feeling about Formenton topping out as a top-6 winger too. You can also put Colin White in that category. Brown might be a bit of a slow riser but he's trending in the right direction right now. There are 3-4 other kids that could also potentially be in our future top-6.

I mean, you ARE right that there doesn't seem to be a superstar ala Jack Hughes in there as it stands, but our prospect pool is pretty decent overall.
All I mean is that I don’t consider Tkachuk a prospect anymore. He’s an established for sure top-6 guy at this point. I like White, I could still see him establishing himself as a top-6er, not so much Brown though. Brown has always been Charmin-soft for a guy his size to me.

For as crappy as Dorion is as a GM, he’s an amazing scout and will at least stock the cupboard for you guys before he, inevitably, gets scapegoated.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We dont have enough talent experienced or otherwise right now...PD and his scouts better freaking hit on these picks or we will be sunk for a long time

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I didn't hate that game at all. Missed most of the second period though, but what I watched was entertaining and it was nice to see the lines rolled pretty well. Especially nice to see Wolanin play so much, he's not perfect but is clearly showing he's a good promising defender. Skating ability is fantastic that should play as a strength as he develops. He's absolutely a top 4 D.

This rebuild needs a #1 C badly though. White will be a very good #2 imo, we'll all really like him but he's not a #1 C. I think we have a few nice pieces to build a good team, and a few more coming, but we've got to hope we get a #1 C in the draft cause that will sink us imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->