Sens hire Jim Little as CEO and now he's fired...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Cheap tickets, cheap alcohol

I know this is not possible but the 67s are offering 2 dollar small cans of beer. The Uni college kids eat that **** up.

Here's the thing

Study after study seems to suggest that our ticket and beer prices are already cheap in relative terms

So what does the team do? Lower them?

Guys argue in here back and forth about the strength of the market.

Wanting cheaper beer and cheaper tickets when both are already relatively cheap doesn't bode well for the market. Just saying

Reactions: coladin

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I am hoping Jim gets the opportunity to deliver some of what he is seemingly planning on doing here and that hes not axed when the first bill/owners bad day arrives as has happened with previous hires, both good or bad! The team has a ton of work to do to attract back the fans they have pushed away for many years. Clearly most understand that a private business should not expect a single customer to support them during bad times because there is obviously no onus and certainly not in todays times! Ive always subscribed to the Mark Cuban theory on pro sports ownership, it should be viewed as a pure toy to brag about to your other rich buddies, that is the profit anything beyond that should be viewed as gravy, lastly you shouldn't ever rely on a pro sports team to be your primary source of income due to its volatility.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Here's the thing

Study after study seems to suggest that our ticket and beer prices are already cheap in relative terms

Wanting cheaper beer and cheaper tickets when both are already relatively cheap doesn't bode well for the market. Just saying

Cheaper tickets is only part of the problem. Yes, they may be cheap in comparison, but comparison to what? Winnipeg?

Just a quick check and I can see that Yotes in Dallas will cost you $10.

Cheaper booze is nice but it would just cause more problems with drunk fans.
You have to cut out the problem. The problem is Melnyk.

Reactions: BatherSeason

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
Here's the thing

I don’t have a problem with the ticket prices currently but paying 15 dollars plus tip for a beer is a bit absurd.

They said in the article they’re going to try and reduce concessions on beer cuz they fully know they’re slaughtering us on in that area

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It happens all the time; when the team is struggling to attract fans, they put out sales and package tickets together. I guess it's technically tied to demand and not performance, but "toe-may-toe"," toe-mah-toe"

Obviously there are limits to what you can do, but there is no doubt that pricing is adjusted all the time
in fairness Little did speak about this. didn't he say pushing cheaper tickets in lower demand games..

also.. tickets CAN be found cheap.. jeez like every single game there are tickets for 22 bucks on stub hub. how cheap do fans want?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
in fairness Little did speak about this. didn't he say pushing cheaper tickets in lower demand games..

also.. tickets CAN be found cheap.. jeez like every single game there are tickets for 22 bucks on stub hub. how cheap do fans want?

Personally, I think they already did adjust prices, so I'm not really complaining. I think the Sens pass was a great idea and way to adjust pricing without giving the appearance of devaluing your product. They are in a tough spot with the team rebuilding and not really having any big draws in the lineup, so I feel for them.

Little's job will be made much easier if we land one of Byfield or Lafreniere in the draft. Having a marketable name you can use as a jumping point will be huge, and no disrespect to the guys we have, a top pick will engage the casual fan far more than kids that outperform expectations to come out of nowhere.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

Stubhub is a lie. $22 plus exchange rate plus fees. Those $22 tickets become $40.
It is cheaper to buy at the gate.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Let’s just be honest about things.

1. Little saying the org has made mistakes with fans is pure PR. He has not been around, so either this is how Melnyk feels or this is just fan appeasement.

2. Little’s first and main job is to rebuild the corporate base. This is key to being a stable franchise. He needs to generate revenue and that is really not done by catering to you and me. This is all about relationships and showing value.

3. Normal Joe fan will buy tickets when the team is fun or good. Location, cost, in-game experience parking, etc... are just reasons/excuses for not wanting to spend money on a non entertaining product.

Good/Bad/Fickle fans, it doesn’t matter. If you entertain then people will come.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

1. Little saying the org has made mistakes with fans is pure PR. He has not been around, so either this is how Melnyk feels or this is just fan appeasement.

2. Little’s first and main job is to rebuild the corporate base. This is key to being a stable franchise. He needs to generate revenue and that is really not done by catering to you and me. This is all about relationships and showing value.

3. Normal Joe fan will buy tickets when the team is fun or good. Location, cost, in-game experience parking, etc... are just reasons/excuses for not wanting to spend money on a non entertaining product.

Good/Bad/Fickle fans, it doesn’t matter. If you entertain then people will come.

All in all, the organization has failed to "entertain", whether that's due to the rebuild, cost cutting, not signing star players, the internal budget, players not wanting to sign here, the in game experience, beer prices, etc. it all doesn't matter, every reason that exists is basically all due to the guy who pays the bills. He doesn't spend money, therefore, the fanbase is not entertained when they are in the building. Ignoring your clients needs is exactly why this organization is where they are right now, whether that's the proper way to do business or not is definitely debateable, but the reality is that the team is struggling to get people in the seats, its up to Little to figure out how to fix it and it will be up to Melnyk to deliver the $$ to allow him to. Holding themselves accountable for the problems they have created is a major step forward. Continuing to blame the fans is lazy and has been debated to no end.

The "pretend nothing happened" and "blame everyone but ourselves" PR approach was about as useful as the crusade in here to blame the bad fans.

So, yes, you are right, it is 100% PR, but people, myself included, are very pleased with what they heard. You and a couple of other posters constantly complain about people complaining, and now that people are actually applauding something the org has done, you and the same army of posters are still whining about us being pleased. It almost feels like you would be happier if Little said something controversial/stupid so that you can just keep up the fight.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

You don't have to be physically around to know the state of a franchise. Coming in with a clean slate and an unbiased point of view can often provide a much more objective view on things

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

Regardless, it's a step in the right direction.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
All in all, the organization has failed to "entertain", whether that's due to the rebuild, cost cutting, not signing star players, the internal budget, players not wanting to sign here, the in game experience, beer prices, etc. it all doesn't matter, every reason that exists is basically all due to the guy who pays the bills. He doesn't spend money, therefore, the fanbase is not entertained when they are in the building. Ignoring your clients needs is exactly why this organization is where they are right now, whether that's the proper way to do business or not is definitely debateable, but the reality is that the team is struggling to get people in the seats, its up to Little to figure out how to fix it and it will be up to Melnyk to deliver the $$ to allow him to. Holding themselves accountable for the problems they have created is a major step forward. Continuing to blame the fans is lazy and has been debated to no end.

The "pretend nothing happened" and "blame everyone but ourselves" PR approach was about as useful as the crusade in here to blame the bad fans.

So, yes, you are right, it is 100% PR, but people, myself included, are very pleased with what they heard. You and a couple of other posters constantly complain about people complaining, and now that people are actually applauding something the org has done, you and the same army of posters are still whining about us being pleased. It almost feels like you would be happier if Little said something controversial/stupid so that you can just keep up the fight.
I’m happy you are applauding the PR spin. I listened to boycotters and Eugene haters and the endless attacks on Dorion for 2 years.

Dorion takes all the hatred for having to manage a team with a budget under the floor with a meddling owner and it doesn’t matter, he’s an idiot, he isn’t good with the media, he gives away draft picks, etc.... Dorion is basically the proxy Piñata for Melnyk haters. Meanwhile, the person hired to specially be Melnyk’s mouthpiece is applauded.

This is what baffles me.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I’m happy you are applauding the PR spin. I listened to boycotters and Eugene haters and the endless attacks on Dorion for 2 years.

Dorion takes all the hatred for having to manage a team with a budget under the floor with a meddling owner and it doesn’t matter, he’s an idiot, he isn’t good with the media, he gives away draft picks, etc.... Dorion is basically the proxy Piñata for Melnyk haters. Meanwhile, the person hired to specially be Melnyk’s mouthpiece is applauded.

This is what baffles me.
Little gave off a good first impression
Dorion is a bad GM.
Melnyk is a bad owner.

That's how I see things.

My opinion hasn't changed, nor can you change it. You are doing exactly what you are accusing others of doing for 2 years by endlessly attacking those who don't like Melnyk/Dorion.

Last edited:

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

This is what baffles me.

Dorion wasn't forced to say that trading Stone was the "proudest moment" of his career. He wasn't forced into calling Karlsson the second coming, or whatever idiotic thing he said. Yes, Dorion is handcuffed by the owner, but a lot of his mistakes are a result of his own buffoonery and inexperience.

The positive thing about Jim Little is that his hiring is bringing about a degree of change. Now, I don't know if him holding the team accountable is something that he did off the cuff, or if it was something that Melnyk instructed him to do, but either way I do know that it began happening when he came in.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Little gave off a good first impression
Dorion is a bad GM.
Melnyk is a bad owner.

My opinion hasn't changed, nor can you change it. You are doing exactly what you are accusing others of doing for 2 years by endlessly attacking those who don't like Melnyk/Dorion.

Delete

Last edited:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
This is the funniest thing you have ever posted.

You really show no qualms with making up crap.

If you could prove your statement with quotes, I will give you some vBucks
What am I making up? And what statement am I trying to prove with my post?

Are you mad because I don't share your opinion?

Here is my quote: "Melnyk is a bad owner, Dorion is a bad GM", vBucks please.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
What am I making up? And what statement am I trying to prove with my post?

Are you mad because I don't share your opinion?

Here is my quote: "Melnyk is a bad owner, Dorion is a bad GM", vBucks please.

misread you stating little stating.

sorry, was doing something at same time.

I deleted it. :)

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

This is what baffles me.
Dorion did so much of that to himself with his poor pr and bulletin board material. The difference here is that this guy seems to have that part down and was pretty honest about things.

Dorion is in the flippin NHL. A pro sports league. Boo friggin hoo. You're essentially a celebrity with a dream job making a high salary, so you need to either learn how to not say dumb shit that gets you eaten alive, or pay the price and get roasted as they all do. You still get all the other perks of that life and the other side just comes with the territory.

The amount of sympathy this guy gets is ridiculous. Is he on here reading having his feelings hurt everyday? Who cares.

Reactions: BatherSeason

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The majority of people don’t care that the team is rebuilding. When people spend a couple hundred bucks on a night out, they expect a good time. If you don’t give it to them, they won’t go back.

The Senators aren’t your kids or family that you support in good times and bad.

They’re a for profit business.

When they give people a reason to go, attendance will improve. Until then, nobody cares about Dorion’s “plan”. Most people don’t care to watch rookies struggle and “grow”. Talk to them when the team has a chance to win and is exciting to watch.

And yes, it does also happen around the league. And when it does, people stop going. Look at Detroit.

When people spend a couple of hundred bucks at a sporting event, where the outcome is not determined, that is the risk. Nothing new there. A good time only takes you so far, witness the RedBlacks this season. It is about the sport. The passion. The love of the game and the pride of your city beating another city's team.

Yes, to many in the sports world, you stick with your team through the good times and the bad. Or else you become a bandwagon fan. This is where this common argument always falls apart...

Every business, whether sport or industrial, entertainment, financial, real estate, is for profit. Not sure why sports is any different.

I think people want to feel a apart of something. The growing excitement at the emergence of Daigle, Yashin, Alfredsson, Bonk, Phillips, Hossa, Havlat, Spezza, etc...was exciting. People do care about the journey of the young players. It isn't as black and white as you make it to be. Or as cynical or clinical.

Many share your opinion, but it speaks to their apathy and lack of commitment, more than anything. I find many of these arguments to be intellectually dishonest, and really don't belong in a team page, to be honest. It is counter fan intuitive , as there is no "fan" atical aspect to this type of makeup of people who are supposed to be supporters of a team.

Jim Little is the perfect guy to

1. Knock on doors in the business area. Most of these companies, that is all they really want. They want to see the organization value their financial commitment, and expect that commitment to be reflected in their tickets, entertainment, and service. Ottawa has a lot of disjointed and jilted fans. I don't think with Jim Little involved that it will not be too difficult to re-energize the corporate community.

2. Be creative in rebranding and marketing this team, and I think he will get the players to buy in and focus on American-style promotions

3. Be the face of the franchise. He is stylish, well spoken, and well respected in his circles and now he needs to project this image to the rest of the NHL as Eugene slithers away in the background

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
When people spend a couple of hundred bucks at a sporting event, where the outcome is not determined, that is the risk. Nothing new there. A good time only takes you so far, witness the RedBlacks this season. It is about the sport. The passion. The love of the game and the pride of your city beating another city's team.

Yes, to many in the sports world, you stick with your team through the good times and the bad. Or else you become a bandwagon fan. This is where this common argument always falls apart...

Every business, whether sport or industrial, entertainment, financial, real estate, is for profit. Not sure why sports is any different.

I think people want to feel a apart of something. The growing excitement at the emergence of Daigle, Yashin, Alfredsson, Bonk, Phillips, Hossa, Havlat, Spezza, etc...was exciting. People do care about the journey of the young players. It isn't as black and white as you make it to be. Or as cynical or clinical.

Many share your opinion, but it speaks to their apathy and lack of commitment, more than anything. I find many of these arguments to be intellectually dishonest, and really don't belong in a team page, to be honest. It is counter fan intuitive , as there is no "fan" atical aspect to this type of makeup of people who are supposed to be supporters of a team.

Jim Little is the perfect guy to

1. Knock on doors in the business area. Most of these companies, that is all they really want. They want to see the organization value their financial commitment, and expect that commitment to be reflected in their tickets, entertainment, and service. Ottawa has a lot of disjointed and jilted fans. I don't think with Jim Little involved that it will not be too difficult to re-energize the corporate community.

2. Be creative in rebranding and marketing this team, and I think he will get the players to buy in and focus on American-style promotions

3. Be the face of the franchise. He is stylish, well spoken, and well respected in his circles and now he needs to project this image to the rest of the NHL as Eugene slithers away in the background
Why does commitment have to be obligated with forking out money to attend games?

You can still support the team and not pay to attend games.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I am hoping Jim gets the opportunity to deliver some of what he is seemingly planning on doing here and that hes not axed when the first bill/owners bad day arrives as has happened with previous hires, both good or bad! The team has a ton of work to do to attract back the fans they have pushed away for many years. Clearly most understand that a private business should not expect a single customer to support them during bad times because there is obviously no onus and certainly not in todays times! Ive always subscribed to the Mark Cuban theory on pro sports ownership, it should be viewed as a pure toy to brag about to your other rich buddies, that is the profit anything beyond that should be viewed as gravy, lastly you shouldn't ever rely on a pro sports team to be your primary source of income due to its volatility.

Did anyone else find it weird that he referred to Melnyk as "the owner"? It seems his mission is to completely eliminate Melnyk from the picture, and that was probably part of the contract that he signed. I wouldn't be surprised that there is an out clause if Melnyk engages the media without running it by him, type of thing

Reactions: Upgrayedd

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Did anyone else find it weird that he referred to Melnyk as "the owner"? It seems his mission is to completely eliminate Melnyk from the picture, and that was probably part of the contract that he signed. I wouldn't be surprised that there is an out clause if Melnyk engages the media without running it by him, type of thing
His interview yesterday gave me the impression that this hire is being forced on Melnyk to a certain extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad