News Article: Sens hire Dave Smart

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster

This is a pretty interesting and creative hire. The hands down best Canadian University basketball coach picked up as a regular consultant. I can't think of anyone better to get in there and guide young players. My wife used to play basketball pretty competitively and has been to several camps he was running over the years, said he is an absolute master motivator.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Good move by the coaching staff. If they could only have gotten Dorion some help a couple years ago

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Wonder how long his leash is with DJ.

All jokes aside good to see them spending money on development.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014

This is a pretty interesting and creative hire. The hands down best Canadian University basketball coach picked up as a regular consultant. I can't think of anyone better to get in there and guide young players. My wife used to play basketball pretty competitively and has been to several camps he was running over the years, said he is an absolute master motivator.

‘guide young players’ ?!..lol did you read the article!? . His role isn’t to work with the players but rather to ‘read negative or positive body language from the 400 level’ and report back to smitty..lol.. . JUSt re-read that last part and let it sink in for a few seconds.. :)
it’s just another joke of a move by a team that has mastered the art of league laughingstock! I’ll agree on one point ! Hell of a UNIVERSITY basketball legend ! But NHL hockey advisor ??.. please.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Not sure how significant this move is, what exactly is his role going to be?

To read negative and positive body language from the 400 deck and act as an expert consultant on .. ‘personalities’ because pro athletes making 4 million a year and canadian university athletes are all the same :)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Dave Smart is a great basketball coach & great motivator of young players who want to succeed. Looks like a very good move on their part, should be interesting to see how this turns out.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Seems like a move you make once you have filled all the other gaps in the front office.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Looks like Smith is being given the funding and freedom to round out his staff as he sees fit.

Nice to see, looks like one area that doesn’t seem to be crippled by a budget. By all accounts Smart is a motivator guru, and it looks like Smith is trying to bring the young core together using some unorthodox methods to go along with the traditional.

I found it interesting that Smart’s position could grow from watching games on high, and hanging around at practices, to potentially something more. Times are changing and young people these days have some different needs than those of the past. This could spark a new staff position if it’s effective.

Either way, more good people around the team is good news, no matter what the capacity, in my opinion.

Reactions: NorthCoast

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
To read negative and positive body language from the 400 deck and act as an expert consultant on .. ‘personalities’ because pro athletes making 4 million a year and canadian university athletes are all the same :)

Yes, at first glance it seemed encouraging. After reading the article...not so much. Very odd hire.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
‘guide young players’ ?!..lol did you read the article!? . His role isn’t to work with the players but rather to ‘read negative or positive body language from the 400 level’ and report back to smitty..lol.. . JUSt re-read that last part and let it sink in for a few seconds.. :)
it’s just another joke of a move by a team that has mastered the art of league laughingstock! I’ll agree on one point ! Hell of a UNIVERSITY basketball legend ! But NHL hockey advisor ??.. please.

As far as team sports and dealing with young athletes he is one of the best Canada has to offer, many teams have consultants it's a good move. Let that sink in._..

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
‘’It doesn’t have anything to do with hockey, it just has to do with people,” adds Smith. ”And I think it’s going to help me.”

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Really interesting hire. Teams for years have been using sports psychologists to help players visualize success and the likes. Smart may be able to take that position to a higher level. My first sarcastic thought was that he was brought in more as a grief counselor as is often done after tragedies, cause the sens season this year may require some solid psychological counseling for the young players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad