Sens have best goals against in NHL - Team Stats

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
So with the bad news on Spezza it is a good time to reflect on just how well the season has gone so far for the team. 7 games into the season. 7/48 or 14.5% of the season is already over. It is not insignicant.

Let's look at us as a team.

We are 5th overall in Point Percentage and 2nd in Eastern Conf. (to Tampa)
We are 6th in the NHL in Goals per game with 3.43
We are 1st in the NHL in Goals against with 1.71.

Our Goals for and against ratio at 5-5 is 1st in the NHL. 2.50!!!! We have 15 goals scored at 5-5 and only 6 against. That is a tremendous ratio, if we can stay even remotely close to 2.0 ratio we are going to dominate this year.

Our PP is 6th overall at 29.2%
Our PK is 4th overall at 87.1%

We are 2nd overall in shots taken per game at 33.3.

So we are doing well compared to the league at ES, PK and PP. On offence and defence. Clearly Anderson has been a HUGE part of all these crazy stats. But so has the team... and the word is:

Depth

Our defence depth has been amazing:

1) Karlsson
2) Gonchar (missed 1 game)
3) Cowen (missed season)
4) Methot
5) Phillips
6) Lundin (missed ALL games)
7) Wiercioch
8) Borowiecki
9) Benoit
10) Gryba (AHL All-star)

So we are going 9 deep in AHL defencemen... even having 3 play in one game and we are still the best defensive team in the NHL while playing a puck possession uptempo game.

Spezza DID get a point per game. But he was less visible and present as an offensive threat then he normally is, and his line was not particularly going or anything. I think if healthy Spezza would have heated up and our offence would have been even better. But with his loss and how well we have done so far (even though it is a smallish sample size) I think with Zibanejad, and maybe a trade we can keep up the offence we have had so far while Spezza is out and keep our defence among the better teams in the NHL (likely Anderson comes back to earth a LITTLE bit!)

gmyx

Aug 14, 2008
Sensville
And since Boston lost yesterday, Ottawa sits 1st in the East.

/thread.

Although our breakout certainly helps. We transition the puck so damned well that it's hard to sustain offensive pressure against us.

The team has been doing a good job of keeping pucks to the outside. Other than some breakdown, not many shots from up close and lots of board time.

While I didn't see the Pittsburgh game, we haven't seen much 'big plays' against.

Of course Anderson is very good right now and a lot of has to do with positioning. I don't think he's been out of position yet this year.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
/thread.

Although our breakout certainly helps. We transition the puck so damned well that it's hard to sustain offensive pressure against us.

8th in the league in SF - SA per game, so while Anderson is a big part, the team is doing its part pretty effectively.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
We will be much better than last year, but I wouldnb't surprised if we fall out of the top 10 by season's end in terms of GAA. We are still giving up a lot of chances, and Anderson's career best hot streak combined with some good fortune, has led to a string of 1 goal games, that could easily be 3 or more down the road.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
But Phillips, Gonchar, Regin, Bishop and Latendresse suck!

Imagine how good we could be if we ever get rid of these guys... I'm wondering why Murray isn't waiving them

And what if we could actually get a NHL defense and some legit top-6 forwards?

The team has been doing a good job of keeping pucks to the outside. Other than some breakdown, not many shots from up close and lots of board time.

While I didn't see the Pittsburgh game, we haven't seen much 'big plays' against.

Of course Anderson is very good right now and a lot of has to do with positioning. I don't think he's been out of position yet this year.

Agreed, we force team to play on the perimeter... Andy has been awesome but the way we play defense make opposition shoot a lot from low % areas

Our team defense has been awesome in all but 1 game.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Who has been complaining about Gonchar? Everywhere I have seen this year has been praise.

Lats was great the first few games IMO. In great position and creating chances, but flubbing them (rust, whatever). Since then he has been pretty invisible though. I dont get the talk of scratching him, I think he will be better served by getting playing time.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
If you want to get anything out of Latendresse this season, you have to keep playing him.

Gonchar has been great except for the Tampa game. That can be said for a lot of players so...

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ottawa's defence has been ok, but you don't tend to notice the errors as much when they don't result in a puck in the net.

Wiercioch's game-ending pass to Ribeiro in the slot is a good example.

I'm with some of the more cynical posters in that a team with 3 AHL d-men is going to have some struggles, once the goaltending cools down.

We can only hope that Karlsson and Gonchar stay healthy, Methot stays the course, and that Phillips can somehow raise his level of play after sitting out the lockout.

I'm pleased with aspects of our AHLers play but I'm certainly not convinced that they are NHL ready yet. Wiercioch to me still seems like the most likely candidate.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Ottawa's defence has been ok, but you don't tend to notice the errors as much when they don't result in a puck in the net.

Wiercioch's game-ending pass to Ribeiro in the slot is a good example.

I'm with some of the more cynical posters in that a team with 3 AHL d-men is going to have some struggles, once the goaltending cools down.

We can only hope that Karlsson and Gonchar stay healthy, Methot stays the course, and that Phillips can somehow raise his level of play after sitting out the lockout.

I'm pleased with aspects of our AHLers play but I'm certainly not convinced that they are NHL ready yet. Wiercioch to me still seems like the most likely candidate.
I'm just hoping Phillips is just reverting back to his early career form of being a slow starter instead of just declining.

Remember back we always talked about "playoffs Phillips" because he was so much better as the season wore on than in the beginning of the season?

As for Wier, his defense kinda reminds me of Karlsson as a rookie in Ottawa. Whenever he doesn't know what to do in the defensive zone, he just goes to the front of the net and pretends to cover the guy in the slot.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Best team in the NHL 5 on 5. 6th on the PP, 4th on the PK.

IMO the special teams stats are sustainable given the group we have. 5 on 5 and GAA will likely regress.

Bazel5

Apr 4, 2011
I think we still haven't been fully tested yet. We need to play a serious contender to evaluate where we stand.

Anderson and Karlsson are playing like men possessed and this condensed schedule will certainly take its toll on them. With Spezza out, all it'll take is a bad game from either of them and we will seriously be playing on a crutch.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
I think we still haven't been fully tested yet. We need to play a serious contender to evaluate where we stand.

Anderson and Karlsson are playing like men possessed and this condensed schedule will certainly take its toll on them. With Spezza out, all it'll take is a bad game from either of them and we will seriously be playing on a crutch.

This. We haven't played the Rangers, Bruins, Devils, Sabres.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Amazing they've been able to keep goals against down so much while playing Erik "terrible defensively" Karlsson for just under half of every game!

:sarcasm:

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
I predict we will have the best GA numbers if Anderson keeps stopping 96,7% of the shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad